The reason why having a preference for MS' products can be a pain in the ***

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Where do you live? No, honestly, because I live on the east coast, and around here, most people loath Microsoft. Most people give me a freaky look when I say Windows Phone ("Windows on your phone?! Why would you want that?!"), oh, and don't get me started on how much people hate Windows 8. Most here have Windows 7 and like it, but they also all look to Apple as some mysterious and desirable creature. Not necessarily a god, but maybe like a stereotypical teenage girl at a Justin Bieber or One Direction concert.

I would say it's better than before, but Microsoft still has a pretty bad rep here, not even neutral. Google and Apple are the "cool" companies, in these parts. :/

I also live on the east coast. In Massachusetts. And I do live in Apple country. A lot of people love Apple, but I notice they hate Microsoft less and less...to the point where they are open about it. While Windows 7 still is number one, I notice that people are coming around to Windows 8. Windows Phone 8 seems to intrigue people which is why it is (if I remember correctly) the fastest growing mobile platform

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
I live in Massachusetts too and I don't know if I ever seen outright hatred for MS ever. I mean I would imagine like most, most of the people I know were raised on Windows PCs and currently own a Windows powered PC. Most of the gamers I know own a 360. Do there can't be that much hate. Sure, there's alot of misinformation and ignorance on Win8 and Windows Phone. But most of that is stuff really effective and smart marketing would help and MS has done neither up until this point. In my opinion, of course.

psudotechzealot

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
I think this was true about 6 years ago but I feel that people have toned down their shunning of Microsoft since then. They still aren't viewed like the "God" that Apple has become but they're not truly hated either
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 928 using Tapatalk

What? I guess you haven't been following xboxone news at all or Microsoft buying Nokia? The hate for Microsoft is still strong!

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
What? I guess you haven't been following xboxone news at all or Microsoft buying Nokia? The hate for Microsoft is still strong!

everyone isn't hating on MS because of Xbox One...they wish the price was same as PS4. when both consoles are released lets compare them...Sony has been all talk, I what to see that console in action and if it still needs updates every other day like ps3.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
everyone isn't hating on MS because of Xbox One...they wish the price was same as PS4. when both consoles are released lets compare them...Sony has been all talk, I what to see that console in action and if it still needs updates every other day like ps3.

I will have plenty of time to compare both since me and my friend are getting a PS4 and a Xbox one to make life after school a little more interesting.
I have to say that Microsoft Xbox Live Compute (cloud usage) is interesting and that is probably the reason why Xbox will win on the long run.
I used to be all about PlayStation, but I don't know... They are lacking...

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I will have plenty of time to compare both since me and my friend are getting a PS4 and a Xbox one to make life after school a little more interesting.
I have to say that Microsoft Xbox Live Compute (cloud usage) is interesting and that is probably the reason why Xbox will win on the long run.
I used to be all about PlayStation, but I don't know... They are lacking...

Also, aall the rumors about Ps4 being 50% more capable than Xbone (hehe, awesome short name)...im betting this is a secret attack from Sony paying off the indie devs. I'm still not 100% sold on either, leaning more towards xbone. I have both a ps3 and 360, use my Xbox 95% of the time...just not a fan of the Sony controller. Still exciting time for gamers, both consoles look great...still think it'll take 6 months to iron out the kinks on both.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I also live on the east coast. In Massachusetts. And I do live in Apple country. A lot of people love Apple, but I notice they hate Microsoft less and less...to the point where they are open about it. While Windows 7 still is number one, I notice that people are coming around to Windows 8. Windows Phone 8 seems to intrigue people which is why it is (if I remember correctly) the fastest growing mobile platform

The universe just loves to prove me wrong, but in a good way this time.

Was at a swim meet today, and everyone was gawking over my phone, looking at it like a mysterious artefact. All I could hear was, "Oh yeah, it's that phone from the play commercial!" or, "Hey, it's that new Nokia!" or, "Could I please see a photo?!"

It was pretty awesome, it turns out Windows isn't as obscure as I thought, people do know something about it, and they're very interested to see it in person. Maybe that's part of the problem, everyone knows there's an Apple Store where you can go in a play with all of their shiny new products, yet many people I know are completely unaware a Microsoft equivalent now exists. Yes, I know the Microsoft Stores are spread far and thin in-between as of yet, but hey, they're still there.

Based on my new observations, it appears everyone is curious about revamped Windows, but due to bad things they hear (thanks to places like iCNET), they're too scare to take the plunge and try it out. As such, it appears to be essential to get more trail blazers out into the world, because once people see what Windows is really capable of, suddenly, things like iOS and Android look a little stale. Sure, they're both fast and have great features, but they've just grown stale.

Microsoft and Nokia have been successful in the endeavor to create curiosity around they're products, now they need to get them in people's hands so they'll try them out.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Also, aall the rumors about Ps4 being 50% more capable than Xbone (hehe, awesome short name)...im betting this is a secret attack from Sony paying off the indie devs. I'm still not 100% sold on either, leaning more towards xbone. I have both a ps3 and 360, use my Xbox 95% of the time...just not a fan of the Sony controller. Still exciting time for gamers, both consoles look great...still think it'll take 6 months to iron out the kinks on both.

I've never personally believed it. The only thing that I know based on facts is that the Xbox has a better CPU and GPU and the OS takes up less RAM, BUT the PS does has a better type of RAM for gaming. Also, iCNET has reported that the touchpad on the PS controller is a big 👎

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I've never personally believed it. The only thing that I know based on facts is that the Xbox has a better CPU and GPU and the OS takes up less RAM, BUT the PS does has a better type of RAM for gaming. Also, iCNET has reported that the touchpad on the PS controller is a big ��

I don't know anything about gaming really, I've always been a casual gamer (Cut the Rope, Angry Birds, Taptitude, etc.). But I still find the Xbox appealing for all it's other living room features and extras, it looks really cool how everything comes together, especially if you're already integrated in the Microsoft ecosystem. "I just works," as the old mantra goes. I've never cared much for gaming, nor a gaming console, yet the Xbox One does leave me curious.

However, I'm already going to be breaking bank and burning away the last of my lifeguarding money on the Surface Pro 2, and a good chunk of it went towards the Lumia 1020. Christmas is out of the question, as my parents are going to let me go on my swim team's annual training trip, in San Diego this year (very excited and very thankful). The Xbox One looks interesting, but I don't care enough for gaming, nor do I have the funds, to buy it.

Maybe next year. After all, the TV is soon to be the last of the four major "screens" in my life Microsoft hasn't taken over (1020 for phone, Surface Pro for tablet/desktop, and the Xbox One would be TV). The other living room options look great, but combined with the cost of the device + the cost of Xbox Live, I'll have to pass. I'm an amatuer gamer and home etertainment type person, the Xbox One requires at least enthusiast in both or advanced in one, none of those qualifications do I meet.

Again, maybe when I have enough money and it has matured a little, but for now, I'll have to pass.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I know the feeling, since im getting the Surface Pro 2 im holding off my console purchase until 2015...although I know when I see NHL 15 I'll be drooling inline to buy one next year lol. The rumor that Xbone can play Windows Apps?!...man, that would really help sell the ecosystem with cross Windows App Store support.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I know the feeling, since im getting the Surface Pro 2 im holding off my console purchase until 2015...although I know when I see NHL 15 I'll be drooling inline to buy one next year lol. The rumor that Xbone can play Windows Apps?!...man, that would really help sell the ecosystem with cross Windows App Store support.

It will run W8 apps and many Xbox titles will be available through the app store(I think).

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm the UI designer and developer at my company and its the joke of the company there that I like Microsoft and its products. Everyone thinks its so weird that a designer likes Microsoft.

I just laugh back and make sure I show the weakness Apple and Google have when the discussion comes up. Now that Microsoft is finally making solid good looking UIs the joke is wearing off. And I made sure to point out the copy cat that iOS 7 is when it launched.

That being said, until recently I've always thought Microsoft products were very uncool and often a nightmare for some of the simplest tasks. I was loyal mostly due to my being raised on Windows since my father is .net enterprise developer. I also knew in the long wrong the company had the power to do great things.

Once WP came out, I became nearly 100% loyal to Microsoft. I knew they were on to a good thing and have been extremely happy with them continuing to unify their portfolio.

Companies have reputations. A positive reputation is easy to lose and can happen over night. A negative reputation is damn near impossible to shake and will linger for years.

psudotechzealot

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
everyone isn't hating on MS because of Xbox One.
I didn't say everyone did. I just use the xboxone as an example.

...they wish the price was same as PS4.
Some do, some don't care at all.

when both consoles are released lets compare them...Sony has been all talk, I what to see that console in action and if it still needs updates every other day like ps3.
I agree, but as of today, PS4 is killing xboxone in preorder sales.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I didn't say everyone did. I just use the xboxone as an example.

Some do, some don't care at all.

I agree, but as of today, PS4 is killing xboxone in preorder sales.

I wasnt harping on your post, its actual a true statement...just expanding on the point made. Yes ps4 is beating out Xbone in places but not everywhere, my local EB was sold out of Xbone preorders a month ago while they still had tons of ps4 available. I'm sure ps4 will sell better than Xbone at launch...but I am more curious to see the 6 month sales figures after launch.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm the UI designer and developer at my company and its the joke of the company there that I like Microsoft and its products. Everyone thinks its so weird that a designer likes Microsoft.

I just laugh back and make sure I show the weakness Apple and Google have when the discussion comes up. Now that Microsoft is finally making solid good looking UIs the joke is wearing off. And I made sure to point out the copy cat that iOS 7 is when it launched.

That being said, until recently I've always thought Microsoft products were very uncool and often a nightmare for some of the simplest tasks. I was loyal mostly due to my being raised on Windows since my father is .net enterprise developer. I also knew in the long wrong the company had the power to do great things.

Once WP came out, I became nearly 100% loyal to Microsoft. I knew they were on to a good thing and have been extremely happy with them continuing to unify their portfolio.

Companies have reputations. A positive reputation is easy to lose and can happen over night. A negative reputation is damn near impossible to shake and will linger for years.

I agree with some of your opinions and others I disagree with. I think that the Metro UI is visually appealing, but I find it very inefficient on a small screen. The tiles take up a lot of space. The app drawer, for example, is wasting premium real estate by using the entire width of the screen. On a larger screen like a laptop or even a tablet it's not such a big deal, but on a < 6" screen it is. Having a picture icon plus large font for readability is redundant, and wastes space unnecessarily. Only one or the other is needed, not both.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I agree with some of your opinions and others I disagree with. I think that the Metro UI is visually appealing, but I find it very inefficient on a small screen. The tiles take up a lot of space. The app drawer, for example, is wasting premium real estate by using the entire width of the screen. On a larger screen like a laptop or even a tablet it's not such a big deal, but on a < 6" screen it is. Having a picture icon plus large font for readability is redundant, and wastes space unnecessarily. Only one or the other is needed, not both.

I don't know... IMO being able to pin almost whatever I want to the start screen makes it a lot more efficient than iOS. Android has its widgets that makes it more efficient, but iOS lacks behind. I can't even understand why Apple is so popular.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I don't know... IMO being able to pin almost whatever I want to the start screen makes it a lot more efficient than iOS. Android has its widgets that makes it more efficient, but iOS lacks behind. I can't even understand why Apple is so popular.

I agree, sure the apps are large, but you chose what gets displayed and what doesn't, so you can ensure only the stuff you care about the most is on your Start Screen, which I think is awesome.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site

I don't know what you mean by the image icon and the text. In the app drawer, the text is hidden unless you click the ellipsis icon "drawer pull."
Metro language is best on a small screen. That "waste of space" you refer to is extremely important in user interface design. Believe it or not, packing a zillion features and elements onto a single screen is far worse than making some elements hidden or accessed through a second interaction.

The more elements on a screen the more your eyes and brain have to work to decipher the content and how to interact with it. Think about it, if you have one button on a screen, its super easy to decide which button to interact with. But if you have 10 buttons, your brain has to review those buttons, what their function is, and then make the decision which button to click.

Old websites and computer interfaces were all about how much content and features you could pack on the screen. More was better. However, usability studies and psychological analysis has actually shown that too much on the screen or too many choices causes what is called "choice paralysis." Breathing room helps your eye/brain separate chunks of content and make quick decisions when interacting with the content.

I strongly urge anyone seriously interested in UI design or just curious about the design choices made in Metro, to look up usability studies and choice (decision) paralysis.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte