This is how it's done Microsoft...

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Burberry chief executive to join Apple | T3

And the poaching begins...

Learn Microsoft...instead of recycling old talent, get some fresh faces on board and start from Square 1...

This is your moment!

On a side not, Lumia 920 is now for JUST 20K in India!! WOOOOT!

Are they going to sell Iphones with custom covers made from Bur Berry cloth now!?

I feel sorry for people who bought 920 @ 38k now.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Hmm not a great move in my opinion. Designer clothing has no similarities to designer tech - as for the innovation that gets mentioned multiple times in that article neither apple nor burberry have been innovative for years. The only similarities both are used to is exorbitantly inflated prices.

Wait - what am I saying its a perfect move - both burberry buyers and iphone owners are the same breed of sheep.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Hmm not a great move in my opinion. Designer clothing has no similarities to designer tech - as for the innovation that gets mentioned multiple times in that article neither apple nor burberry have been innovative for years. The only similarities both are used to is exorbitantly inflated prices.

Wait - what am I saying its a perfect move - both burberry buyers and iphone owners are the same breed of sheep.

Microsoft is shedding some of it's balmers, would you prefer them replaced with sheeople in touch with the market, or just more corporate sheeople ?

Regardless of the ridiculousness of fashion, their mind set sells things, lots of things at that.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft is shedding some of it's balmers, would you prefer them replaced with sheeople in touch with the market, or just more corporate sheeople ?

Regardless of the ridiculousness of fashion, their mind set sells things, lots of things at that.

Microsoft is a different beast and you cant compare it to Apple in that respect. Owning a surface or a windows phone or a windows 8 PC isn't a fashion statement. Owning an iphone has always been about status and being fashionable - bringing the bird from burberry over makes perfect sense for them.

Wouldn't work for MS - come to think of it I don't think anything would. MS could cure AIDS and the media would still rag on them for probably starting the virus in the first place.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft is a different beast and you cant compare it to Apple in that respect. Owning a surface or a windows phone or a windows 8 PC isn't a fashion statement. Owning an iphone has always been about status and being fashionable - bringing the bird from burberry over makes perfect sense for them.

Wouldn't work for MS - come to think of it I don't think anything would. MS could cure AIDS and the media would still rag on them for probably starting the virus in the first place.

i think they can be compared since they're both:

a) software companies
b) hardware companies
c) cloud services companies

while a sleeve with diamonds and gems prolly wouldn't sell very well (and the price might have something to do with it) for surface or iphones...

it's the corner stitches that some folks can tell need improving. a small change in a bezel here, and a small change in an edge radius there, adds up to a very nice handset feel. my point was, get as many people that are proficient at SELLING things (wether or not there is real value in the things sold, vs just 'prestige') instead of more fat cat corporate types that will -only- be concerned with their own golden parachute.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
i think they can be compared since they're both:

a) software companies
b) hardware companies
c) cloud services companies

while a sleeve with diamonds and gems prolly wouldn't sell very well (and the price might have something to do with it) for surface or iphones...

it's the corner stitches that some folks can tell need improving. a small change in a bezel here, and a small change in an edge radius there, adds up to a very nice handset feel. my point was, get as many people that are proficient at SELLING things (wether or not there is real value in the things sold, vs just 'prestige') instead of more fat cat corporate types that will -only- be concerned with their own golden parachute.

Sorry but I would take the feel of an HTC 8X, Nokia 520 or 1020 in my hand any day of the week compared to an iphone even the GS3 feels better in my hand than an iphone does I'd also probably take the feel of a kindle fire over an ipad mini too. Ergonomics don't come into it with apple products its all about the fruit on the back, always has been always will be. They could put it on a brick and people in there millions would build their houses out of it and look down on all those people with houses with standard bricks. Unfortunately that's the mindset that the majority of apple users have.

Selling things is down to the marketing department which to date has been pi$$ poor for Microsoft. I agree with you there get new marketing people in definitely but I wouldn't ever think of say putting CEO of Hollister in a top position at Microsoft. Get people in that will drive the company forward quicker to get them ahead of the competition, start implementing some of that awesome tech that R&D are sitting on and have patents for, get people in that will get them ahead.

My point still stands about comparing the companies though, rightly or wrongly iphones, ipads and mac's are fashion accessories and status symbols. Getting someone in that's been successful selling fashion accessories and status symbols is perfect for them. MS tried being fashionable once it failed miserably with the original surface adds. Nothing MS does or has done can ever be considered fashionable.

Oh yeah - and ive seen plenty of fake diamond encrusted iphone and ipad cases can pick them up from most market stalls for ?5

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
There is likely more going on behind the scenes than whats being reported. My #1 question would obviously be why would a person already holding a CEO title for the past 10+ years resign to take a lower position? A much lower position at that. She may have seen the writing on the wall and got out before she was shown a door. Of course you could add Elop to that list as well but I think he has his sights on bigger things. This lady isn't going to be in line for a shot of CEO at AAPL.

To the OP: Don't discount old talent. They keep the arrogant youngsters in line from making the same mistakes as their predecessors.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
OK, let me make it a little clearer,

Ms needs -anything- except another balmer.

Talent, not total control and stock options.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
OK, let me make it a little clearer,

Ms needs -anything- except another balmer.

Talent, not total control and stock options.

So you would rather see someone standing up in front of a crowd "dolled-up" in jeans and a turtleneck? Thanks but no thanks. I'll take the person will roll up their sleeves and get dirty.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
So you would rather see someone standing up in front of a crowd "dolled-up" in jeans and a turtleneck? Thanks but no thanks. I'll take the person will roll up their sleeves and get dirty.

I get what your saying but even you've got to agree that a another Balmer in this day and age would be disastrous. Not knocking what Balmer achieved during his tenure though.

I honestly don't believe there is a person out there that can fill the role that MS needs at CEO with the new direction they are taking. Its a massive task when you think about it.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
I get what your saying but even you've got to agree that a another Balmer in this day and age would be disastrous. Not knocking what Balmer achieved during his tenure though.

I honestly don't believe there is a person out there that can fill the role that MS needs at CEO with the new direction they are taking. Its a massive task when you think about it.

Nobody is irreplaceable. Who knows what they are going to do. Maybe they will copy what GOOG is doing. They parade one of their founders as the public CEO but thats not who is actually running the company. Eric Schmidt is the one pulling the strings over there. With Big Bill and Ballmer still on the BoD they could easily do the same.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Burberry chief executive to join Apple | T3

And the poaching begins...

Learn Microsoft...instead of recycling old talent, get some fresh faces on board and start from Square 1...

This is your moment!

On a side not, Lumia 920 is now for JUST 20K in India!! WOOOOT!

I am sure they are dutifully taking notes because you must be the ultimate expert. As a point of reference, it is well demonstrated across many industries that poaching/head hunting often yields disastrous results. Ask Apple how it worked out for them the first time around in the 1990s; or HP more recently for that matter. For every success, there is at least one Ron Johnson. If you don't recognize the reference, look up the name and JC Penney.

Cleavitt76

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I think this will probably work out fine for Apple as a replacement for their retail operations executive, but this doesn't make any sense at all for Ballmer's replacement or anything else that MS is doing. I'm kind of lost on the "this is how it's done Microsoft" title of this thread. What part of this is MS supposed to learn from? Getting someone from the outside? I think they already know that is an option, but they also have a lot of very talented people internally that shouldn't be ignored. Beyond that, there is nothing useful in the strategy for MS. Hiring a fashion industry executive may work well for Apple because in many ways Apple is a fashion company first and a technology company second (or third...eh...forth?). MS on the other hand is unquestionably a technology company.

Personally, I would like to see another true geek like Gates in charge of MS for a while. A person like that would put a lot of emphasis on making sure all the cool little technology details were working consistently in each and every product. The marketing departments and sales groups can run themselves as long as the products themselves are good.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro