10-24-2013 12:25 PM
61 123
tools
    Even for searching on MSDN or Microsoft downloads google is better.
    That's true in the US too. When a new or updated Windows OS, such as an RC, is released, Bing can't find it but Google does. After a couple days Bing will have exactly the same results as Google. It appears that Bing uses Google's results behind the scenes.
    10-20-2013 11:19 AM
    It's not only good in USA, it's as good as Scroogle in the UK
    zinksilver likes this.
    10-20-2013 11:22 AM
    If they added the ability to submit POIs then there wouldn't be a problem and all the Windows Phone and Nokia users would do the work for them! So why is there no submit a POI page?
    10-20-2013 11:33 AM
    This all but confirms what we already knew: Google's excuse for not making a YouTube app for Windows Phone--that it doesn't have enough market share--is lie. I've really come to despise Google in the past few years. They are the biggest hypocrites in the tech world, egregiously violating their own 'do not evil' mantra. And the thing is, now that I've essentially quit their services, I really don't understand why their services are so popular. Here's my breakdown:

Search: Google Search is pretty good, but I actually find Bing to be more accurate and more feature packed (I love page zero, social integration, and Bing Rewards). Still this is a service that they're good at, if not overrated.
    Maps: Google Maps is, in my opinion, their best service. Their maps are good, very accurate, and have a lot of unique features (like Street View--putting aside the fact that they used Street View cars to illegally collect wifi information from people, but that's another story). However, I find Bing maps on PC and HERE maps on mobile to be good replacements. I certainly don't miss Google Maps.
    Gmail: I give Google credit for making emails conversation threads. That was wise. But since then, Outlook.com has surpassed Gmail in just about every way. The interface is much nicer, and I hate what Gmail turned into, particularly the new compose UI and how invasive they are in scanning my inbox
    Android / Chrome : Google's operating systems are absolute rubbish.
    Docs : Google Docs is also pretty bad. Office wipes the floor with it.
    Drive : In addition to a terrible name (seriously, the first time I heard Google Drive I just assumed it referred to their self-driving car program), the interface for SkyDrive as well as its seamless integration into Windows Phone and Windows 8/RT blows Drive out of the water.
    YouTube : This was Google's wisest acquisition but the only reason it's a success is because of the user-provided content. It is the one Google service that is almost impossible to avoid completely because seemingly every video link I encounter on the Web is a YouTube link. So, it is not surprising that Google is trying to use it as a weapon to prevent Windows Phone from growing. Personally, I'd love Microsoft to play hard ball back. I would love to see Microsoft re-initiate a competitor (I say buy Vimeo--the name is cool, it's got a decent following, etc.--and fix it up a bit).
    I'll nominate you for 'montsa007's noble prize award - Shooting in the head without leaving bloodstains'

And as your prize, you'll win all of the following,
    -An empty box
    -A Nokia Lumia 1020 64GB, Photo
    -1,000$, via Email as a scanned Copy
    -Some flowers, you need to pluck them on your own

Your post nails it.
    Chief_Adu likes this.
    10-20-2013 11:57 AM
    I'll nominate you for 'montsa007's noble prize award - Shooting in the head without leaving bloodstains'

And as your prize, you'll win all of the following,
    -An empty box
    -A Nokia Lumia 1020 64GB, Photo
    -1,000$, via Email as a scanned Copy
    -Some flowers, you need to pluck them on your own

Your post nails it.
    BIGPADDY will some soon to receive (steal) this prize x)
    10-20-2013 02:24 PM
    Youtube for Firefox OS? Yes, this is too funny for words. Doesn't much matter to me. Unless I plan to move to Islamabad, (no offense if you live there) doesn't change my opinion if I did live in Islamabad, Google still bites.
    10-20-2013 04:04 PM
    I feel this is Trolling gone to a whole new level :D

https://marketplace.firefox.com/app/...1?src=featured

Why release YouTube for Firefox OS and leave WP behind when obviously it has more users than FFOS. I used to be enraged at this previously but now I think they simply want to troll MS for whatever past they have had with them.

Someone make an epic meme out of this
    You do understand that Firefox would cease to exist without money from Google? What do you expect them to do?
    10-20-2013 08:14 PM
    It's exactly the same as our current "official" YouTube app, it just sends you to the mobile browser.
    teckris likes this.
    10-20-2013 10:58 PM
    BIGPADDY will some soon to receive (steal) this prize x)
    Oh, he's my delivery boy, I have to reconsider now.
    Chief_Adu likes this.
    10-20-2013 11:06 PM
    I read somewhere that the Youtube team wants to release an app on every platform (just like Netflix) and it's the parent company Google that's preventing this from happening. Kinda with Google never bought Youtube.
    10-20-2013 11:20 PM
    I read somewhere that the Youtube team wants to release an app on every platform (just like Netflix) and it's the parent company Google that's preventing this from happening. Kinda with Google never bought Youtube.
    Your username tells a lot of stories, doesn't it?
    10-20-2013 11:23 PM
    I dont understand why google doesnt say HOORAY! when they think about making a official app for one of their product into an rival platform? I mean come on, they should help Windows.
    10-21-2013 01:53 AM
    His name is android to windows mobile.Nothings wrong with it
    10-21-2013 02:05 AM
    His name is android to windows mobile.Nothings wrong with it
    I never said there's anything wrong with it, but I do know there must be some story associated with it :D
    10-21-2013 02:21 AM
    YouTube : This was Google's wisest acquisition but the only reason it's a success is because of the user-provided content. It is the one Google service that is almost impossible to avoid completely because seemingly every video link I encounter on the Web is a YouTube link. So, it is not surprising that Google is trying to use it as a weapon to prevent Windows Phone from growing. Personally, I'd love Microsoft to play hard ball back. I would love to see Microsoft re-initiate a competitor (I say buy Vimeo--the name is cool, it's got a decent following, etc.--and fix it up a bit).
    Microsoft Vimeo is a nice name. It sounds very... Microsoft.
    Of all the Google products, Youtube is the only issue for me for pretty much the reason you've mentioned.
    Its very rare to see a website that has vimeo videos embedded.
    10-21-2013 03:19 AM
    I wonder what will be the new excuse for Google apologist?
    10-21-2013 05:35 AM
    I wonder what will be the new excuse for Google apologist?
    "We don't like you, straight off the bat", would it surprise me? - No it wont.
    10-21-2013 05:36 AM
    Lol, spoken like a true US-based MS fanboi. Try using Bing Search and Maps outside the USA, it's garbage.
    I use Bing pretty much exclusively for a year now and I'm from Finland, northern Europe. For the most parts Bing offers similar or better results to me. A handful of times I've went to google cos I've known an exact keyword to find something I've searched for before, but Bing hasnt found it with that exact keyword :P

I don't use Bing maps though, but neither do I use Google maps, we have some very good "local" mapping services here provided by the same companies that fe. provide phone number searches etc.
    10-21-2013 05:45 AM
    I stopped using most google services ever since Mango came out. However as a student I try to use as little online resources as possible, but some courses don't even allow an online resource, and I think it shouldn't. If I do have to have variation for my references, Bing is not as extensive as google scholar for educational use. Microsoft should revive Microsoft Encarta, the same way Zune became Xbox Music. It could very well compete and even surpass google scholar in every way as Encarta was a powerful educational tool, just as Office Excel has powerful mathematical tools. Problem is Encarta has stopped support and production since 2009, but if Microsoft could rebrand and integrate Encarta with Bing, well I'll be.

On the other hand, I respect YouTube when it was a standalone company, not the YouTube we know now filled with ads and ads everywhere. Watching a 30 second video? Why not watch a 15 minute ad first.
    mpt15, dznk and wapoz like this.
    10-21-2013 06:08 AM
    I think Google just knows that if someone has gotten themselves a Firefox OS phone, they've probably already done Android, and have now moved away and are tech-savvy/informed enough to know that Android is less than the sum of its part. The best their gonna be able to do is "Scroogle" them some more with Gmail, Youtube, Maps, etc...so why not throw them some official apps and get what you can...keep them using your services and maybe even get them back again later.
    10-21-2013 08:08 AM
    Google are now in direct competition with MS in a lot of things, as people have already said in this topic such as Maps, Search, Email, Office, Operating Systems etc. MS is playing catchup with Android in the mobile OS scene and that's what they are doing... albeit very gradually (I doubt they will ever get up that close with Androids marketshare though). If you look at marketshare numbers, it's only WP that can threaten Android in the future. iOS even though popular, it's because of it's high price that it will never be a marketshare leader (which is is why Apple focus on profit instead). These sneaky moves are because google do not want a mobile OS that OEM's can distribute getting anywhere near it, that's why they are trying to apply the brakes their end as much as they can on the rise of WP.

The only Google services I use now are Streetview (not there actual maps though) and YouTube. Streetview because Bing Maps doesn't really have much of it in the UK and YouTube, simply because everyone and his dog uploads a video to YouTube, so you have to watch them on there. I actually use Bing Maps for maps and have been doing for around a year. The colours of the roads and layout is much nicer than google maps. But one big thing for me though, as I love the outdoors is that Bing Maps has Ordnance Survey maps (OS maps) and that it is very easy to export GPX waypoints from Bing Maps to my Garmin outdoor GPS.
    10-21-2013 09:18 AM
    Google is sticking it to MS because they can. WP market share is low so they are saying too-bad-so-sad. Google is only going to pay attention when market share improves, period. In the mean time:
    • MS should develop a YouTube app in HTML 5 or whatever Google requires. MS needs more "official" apps, regardless of how good or bad they are compared to third-party counterparts, to attract new customers
    • Current WP users just stop giving Google the time of day and stop using their services
    • Use the mobile YouTube site and pin the damn thing as a tile (I found with either my Android or WP that the m.youtube site is better anyway, imo)
    • Use MetroTube or equivalent if you must have an app
    • If you need to look for a vid, look on Vimeo or other site before checking YouTube
    10-21-2013 10:02 AM
    Google is sticking it to MS because they can. WP market share is low so they are saying too-bad-so-sad. Google is only going to pay attention when market share improves, period. In the mean time:
    • MS should develop a YouTube app in HTML 5 or whatever Google requires. MS needs more "official" apps, regardless of how good or bad they are compared to third-party counterparts, to attract new customers
    • Current WP users just stop giving Google the time of day and stop using their services
    • Use the mobile YouTube site and pin the damn thing as a tile (I found with either my Android or WP that the m.youtube site is better anyway, imo)
    • Use MetroTube or equivalent if you must have an app
    • If you need to look for a vid, look on Vimeo or other site before checking YouTube
    huh???? Google won't develop for WP because of market share? Then why would they develop for Firefox? It has probably 1/100 of the market share WP has.
    JerseySal likes this.
    10-21-2013 10:10 AM
    huh???? Google won't develop for WP because of market share? Then why would they develop for Firefox? It has probably 1/100 of the market share WP has.
    Its not about market share, its about rtolling (mis-spelt on purpose) MSFT.
    JerseySal likes this.
    10-21-2013 10:12 AM
    Its not about market share, its about rtolling (mis-spelt on purpose) MSFT.
    I realize that, but it didn't sound like the person I was replying to did. It sounded like he thought "well, its because WP has a low share market(flipped on purpose)"
    10-21-2013 10:15 AM
61 123