I feel Google just Trolled MSFT and WP again - releases YouTube for Firefox OS

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
This all but confirms what we already knew: Google's excuse for not making a YouTube app for Windows Phone--that it doesn't have enough market share--is lie. I've really come to despise Google in the past few years. They are the biggest hypocrites in the tech world, egregiously violating their own 'do not evil' mantra. And the thing is, now that I've essentially quit their services, I really don't understand why their services are so popular. Here's my breakdown:

Search: Google Search is pretty good, but I actually find Bing to be more accurate and more feature packed (I love page zero, social integration, and Bing Rewards). Still this is a service that they're good at, if not overrated.
Maps: Google Maps is, in my opinion, their best service. Their maps are good, very accurate, and have a lot of unique features (like Street View--putting aside the fact that they used Street View cars to illegally collect wifi information from people, but that's another story). However, I find Bing maps on PC and HERE maps on mobile to be good replacements. I certainly don't miss Google Maps.
Gmail: I give Google credit for making emails conversation threads. That was wise. But since then, Outlook.com has surpassed Gmail in just about every way. The interface is much nicer, and I hate what Gmail turned into, particularly the new compose UI and how invasive they are in scanning my inbox
Android / Chrome : Google's operating systems are absolute rubbish.
Docs : Google Docs is also pretty bad. Office wipes the floor with it.
Drive : In addition to a terrible name (seriously, the first time I heard Google Drive I just assumed it referred to their self-driving car program), the interface for SkyDrive as well as its seamless integration into Windows Phone and Windows 8/RT blows Drive out of the water.
YouTube : This was Google's wisest acquisition but the only reason it's a success is because of the user-provided content. It is the one Google service that is almost impossible to avoid completely because seemingly every video link I encounter on the Web is a YouTube link. So, it is not surprising that Google is trying to use it as a weapon to prevent Windows Phone from growing. Personally, I'd love Microsoft to play hard ball back. I would love to see Microsoft re-initiate a competitor (I say buy Vimeo--the name is cool, it's got a decent following, etc.--and fix it up a bit).

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
I feel this is Trolling gone to a whole new level :D

https://marketplace.firefox.com/app/youtube-1?src=featured

Why release YouTube for Firefox OS and leave WP behind when obviously it has more users than FFOS. I used to be enraged at this previously but now I think they simply want to troll MS for whatever past they have had with them.

Someone make an epic meme out of this

Looking at screenshots, it seems to be just a bookmark to the mobile site?

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
The worst thing we as a community can do is give GOOG any satisfaction at all. They won't release apps for WP. Who cares! I wouldn't even bring it up as a topic of discussion.

Chief_Adu

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Drive : In addition to a terrible name (seriously, the first time I heard Google Drive I just assumed it referred to their self-driving car program)

^--- This... x)

If Google doesn't want to make a YouTube app for us, we will just enjoy our third-party developers :)

lukeap69

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I do not agree Google services are crap. Maps and Hangouts are pretty good actually. Most android phones have hangouts where we can easily chat, have video call, individually or by group. I hope these will be available to windowa phones in future.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

crash1989

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Google maps POI are much better then Here Maps, Nokia is trying to address this by using crowd-sourcing .. I read it somewhere
Google has done it this way already once ... I try to add places on Here maps from the website whenever I can

crash1989

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
it sucks that Google has deemed Firefox OS worthy to associate its name with although the app might be useless when there are millions of users (as per latest statistics) on windows phone.

I seem to have run out of ideas, but how can businesses afford to lose millions of customers for such stupid stuff. I at least am not switching to android or iOS if that is what Google wants, not until they fix the horrible mess of an ecosystem called Android

Abhishek Baxi

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Even after Google release an official YouTube on WP, I'd rather use MetroTube or myTube to deny the company ad dollars.

As far as other discussion goes, I don't use any Google service apart from YouTube. Better alternatives, less evil.

Doomguy

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
Even after Google release an official YouTube on WP, I'd rather use MetroTube or myTube to deny the company ad dollars.

As far as other discussion goes, I don't use any Google service apart from YouTube. Better alternatives, less evil.

This. Plus, Metro Tube is waaaaay better than any official YT app.

marcomura

May 28, 2013
Visit site
As a premise, I live in Italy... and probably this influence my experience.

• Search: I tried replacing google with bing as my default search engine... after some frustrating weeks I had to roll back to google because bing results are completely garbage. Even for searching on MSDN or Microsoft downloads google is better.
  • Maps: Generally google maps has better maps and better POI, but I usually use both. But Google street view makes google the winner.
  • Gmail: I still prefer gmail to outlook (former hotmail) because I feel outlook is still immature. But I don't like how gmail advertise, so I may switch in the future.
  • News: I prefer the google news layout, I don't like how bing news organizes the news. Also, google news offers more customization.
I don't comment the other services because either I don't use them or they don't have a MS counterpart.

I don't like google's attitude, but I'm not willing to use worse services just to support my favorite team.
Microsoft really needs to improve their services a lot, or they will be used only by a bunch of fanboys.

MyNL822

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
Are you serious?!?! I didn't even know Firefox OS existed until I saw this! This obviously shows the problems Microsoft has with other companies, I use google products every day that doesn't mean because I move to Windows Phone I should have to stop using it.

Oliver Newell

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
People, please. I had a Xperia Z not long ago and the dedicated youtube app for that was terrible and horrible to use. Using youtube on IE is just as god, give you just as many features albeit in a more crude looking interface. The point is, is that us WP users can still use youtube and attach Gmail into our email account and even have google as our default search engine, but their services, personally I don't trust. Ever since I started using windows phone 7 I have always used bing, its more accurate and more secure, I have ditched all of my gmail accounts and gone for outlook.

Putting it short I don't think google trolled MS, and quite frankly I don't think none of us or MS even care if they did. What google are doing is childish and makes them look pathetic.

zinksilver

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
Lol, spoken like a true US-based MS ******. Try using Bing Search and Maps outside the USA, it's garbage.

Well it's kind of funny when I read this because I use Bing Search outside the US a lot and guess what: it works perfectly fine. I don't even use Google anymore. I don't see why it's 'garbage'. Even the fact that there is a daily image on the web and on my devices is a plus for me (goodbye boredom, hello beautiful pictures/backgrounds).

But maybe that's just me (I'm using the Bing Preview though. Really digging it)

And by the way, next time write properly. I don't know what a "******" is.

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
[ 'What is the population of the Republic of Ireland' or 'When does Emirates flight number 001 land" and get answers directly.

Those really aren't points. I asked the first one and Bing search pulled it instantly without any other intervention. The flight is also negligible since apps can hook into "Tellme", so we get a similar experience. So those two aren't good points at all.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb