I feel Google just Trolled MSFT and WP again - releases YouTube for Firefox OS

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Lol, spoken like a true US-based MS ******. Try using Bing Search and Maps outside the USA, it's garbage.

I use Bing pretty much exclusively for a year now and I'm from Finland, northern Europe. For the most parts Bing offers similar or better results to me. A handful of times I've went to google cos I've known an exact keyword to find something I've searched for before, but Bing hasnt found it with that exact keyword :p

I don't use Bing maps though, but neither do I use Google maps, we have some very good "local" mapping services here provided by the same companies that fe. provide phone number searches etc.

omgitsnick

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
I stopped using most google services ever since Mango came out. However as a student I try to use as little online resources as possible, but some courses don't even allow an online resource, and I think it shouldn't. If I do have to have variation for my references, Bing is not as extensive as google scholar for educational use. Microsoft should revive Microsoft Encarta, the same way Zune became Xbox Music. It could very well compete and even surpass google scholar in every way as Encarta was a powerful educational tool, just as Office Excel has powerful mathematical tools. Problem is Encarta has stopped support and production since 2009, but if Microsoft could rebrand and integrate Encarta with Bing, well I'll be.

On the other hand, I respect YouTube when it was a standalone company, not the YouTube we know now filled with ads and ads everywhere. Watching a 30 second video? Why not watch a 15 minute ad first.

ZenBot

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I think Google just knows that if someone has gotten themselves a Firefox OS phone, they've probably already done Android, and have now moved away and are tech-savvy/informed enough to know that Android is less than the sum of its part. The best their gonna be able to do is "Scroogle" them some more with Gmail, Youtube, Maps, etc...so why not throw them some official apps and get what you can...keep them using your services and maybe even get them back again later.

dznk

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
Google are now in direct competition with MS in a lot of things, as people have already said in this topic such as Maps, Search, Email, Office, Operating Systems etc. MS is playing catchup with Android in the mobile OS scene and that's what they are doing... albeit very gradually (I doubt they will ever get up that close with Androids marketshare though). If you look at marketshare numbers, it's only WP that can threaten Android in the future. iOS even though popular, it's because of it's high price that it will never be a marketshare leader (which is is why Apple focus on profit instead). These sneaky moves are because google do not want a mobile OS that OEM's can distribute getting anywhere near it, that's why they are trying to apply the brakes their end as much as they can on the rise of WP.

The only Google services I use now are Streetview (not there actual maps though) and YouTube. Streetview because Bing Maps doesn't really have much of it in the UK and YouTube, simply because everyone and his dog uploads a video to YouTube, so you have to watch them on there. I actually use Bing Maps for maps and have been doing for around a year. The colours of the roads and layout is much nicer than google maps. But one big thing for me though, as I love the outdoors is that Bing Maps has Ordnance Survey maps (OS maps) and that it is very easy to export GPX waypoints from Bing Maps to my Garmin outdoor GPS.

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Google is sticking it to MS because they can. WP market share is low so they are saying too-bad-so-sad. Google is only going to pay attention when market share improves, period. In the mean time:
  • MS should develop a YouTube app in HTML 5 or whatever Google requires. MS needs more "official" apps, regardless of how good or bad they are compared to third-party counterparts, to attract new customers
  • Current WP users just stop giving Google the time of day and stop using their services
  • Use the mobile YouTube site and pin the damn thing as a tile (I found with either my Android or WP that the m.youtube site is better anyway, imo)
  • Use MetroTube or equivalent if you must have an app
  • If you need to look for a vid, look on Vimeo or other site before checking YouTube

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Google is sticking it to MS because they can. WP market share is low so they are saying too-bad-so-sad. Google is only going to pay attention when market share improves, period. In the mean time:
  • MS should develop a YouTube app in HTML 5 or whatever Google requires. MS needs more "official" apps, regardless of how good or bad they are compared to third-party counterparts, to attract new customers
  • Current WP users just stop giving Google the time of day and stop using their services
  • Use the mobile YouTube site and pin the damn thing as a tile (I found with either my Android or WP that the m.youtube site is better anyway, imo)
  • Use MetroTube or equivalent if you must have an app
  • If you need to look for a vid, look on Vimeo or other site before checking YouTube

huh???? Google won't develop for WP because of market share? Then why would they develop for Firefox? It has probably 1/100 of the market share WP has.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Its not about market share, its about rtolling (mis-spelt on purpose) MSFT.

I realize that, but it didn't sound like the person I was replying to did. It sounded like he thought "well, its because WP has a low share market(flipped on purpose)"

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
I realize that, but it didn't sound like the person I was replying to did. It sounded like he thought "well, its because WP has a low market share"

Relax man, let me take you on a walk to the beach so you can forget about this thread and enjoy the cool breeze :).

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
[warn] Let's cool off our tempers a little bit here. Calling people fanbois,trolls and the like are prohibited by forum rules. Next time a mod has to visit this thread points will be given out [/warn]

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
huh???? Google won't develop for WP because of market share? Then why would they develop for Firefox? It has probably 1/100 of the market share WP has.
They did it for Firefox to give an extra FU to Microsoft. Microsoft is a direct competitor to almost every service Google has. Firefox is a drop in the bucket.

Angry_Mushroom

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Y'know what? I hope Google never gets an actual youtube app on Windows Phone. I feel bad for you guys, but I got 99 cents which I gave to myTube. (Metrotube is fine as well.) Didn't download the not crap app when it was released, don't plan on even trying it when it shows up again. If ever.

Tobyus

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
I bought Supertube for $1.29 back when I was using my LG Quantum. I still use it to this day, and Metrotube is there as well. I prefer them over an official, ad filled app any day.

hysonmb

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
The MS built YouTube app was great, it looked like they really paid attention to what the devs that built the other good clients did and made something worth using. Google is being about as anti-competitive as they can and it does hurt the WP user base in the end. Those of us commenting here won't likely be swayed by their playground level antics but a user walking into the store may walk out with a different device because Google doesn't have official apps in the WP store.
MS may be taking the high road, but, I say they should drop a lawsuit from the high road and fight this out in court. If MS took heat for bundling IE with Windows because it supposedly blocked competition, what's this move by Google?

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
The MS built YouTube app was great, it looked like they really paid attention to what the devs that built the other good clients did and made something worth using. Google is being about as anti-competitive as they can and it does hurt the WP user base in the end. Those of us commenting here won't likely be swayed by their playground level antics but a user walking into the store may walk out with a different device because Google doesn't have official apps in the WP store.
MS may be taking the high road, but, I say they should drop a lawsuit from the high road and fight this out in court. If MS took heat for bundling IE with Windows because it supposedly blocked competition, what's this move by Google?

You could take this post and replace "Google" with "Microsoft" and replace "YouTube" with "RD Client" or "Skype", and it would be just as valid. I know there is a WP Skype app but the last I knew it still sucked.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Those of you that despise Google because of their ways/practices need to take a look at Microsofts track record along with Apple. None of these companies are innocent. They all play games with each other as do many other types of companies. At the end of the day though, you dont really buy into the way a company acts. You buy into the services they provide. In my opinion, MS rips off the customers more than Google or Apple. I shouldn't say rip off, thats harsh. They have been known to let down their loyalist more than anything is what I mean. When you look up the things they do/promised it just doesn't make sense unless they are really living in their own bubble or just not mentally capable of doing it. Not just with windows phone, but with Xbox, windows OS, etc. I don't play the favorites game anymore between the three. If they have something I want that doesn't break my bank or the economy and doesn't kick my dog, I'm cool with it. Lol.

crash1989

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Those of you that despise Google because of their ways/practices need to take a look at Microsofts track record along with Apple. None of these companies are innocent. They all play games with each other as do many other types of companies. At the end of the day though, you dont really buy into the way a company acts. You buy into the services they provide. In my opinion, MS rips off the customers more than Google or Apple. I shouldn't say rip off, thats harsh. They have been known to let down their loyalist more than anything is what I mean. When you look up the things they do/promised it just doesn't make sense unless they are really living in their own bubble or just not mentally capable of doing it. Not just with windows phone, but with Xbox, windows OS, etc. I don't play the favorites game anymore between the three. If they have something I want that doesn't break my bank or the economy and doesn't kick my dog, I'm cool with it. Lol.

Hence I used the word trolled. Commenters get worked up over these things more and more these days :D ... that's the fun of comments on YouTube, Verge , Engadget etc ... Everyone thinks they know what people want and why companies act a certain way ..

YouTube comments are a hate fest .. the rest are getting there

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05