htc sinking fast

wapoz

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
I bet they will make some decent money off the Amazon phone assuming the reports are true. Margins won't be high, but I bet a lot will be sold or packaged with other products. Amazon has shown time and time again that they know how to sell. Their best bet might be to run with that and attempt to be the only maker for Amazon.

Or it could just end up like the HTC one which didn't even make it a full 30 days on the market before being discontinued :p

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
If HTC helps Amazon produce and put forward another forked android product I wish them nothing but the worst. Amazon is the worst company imaginable for hocking a fork on what would otherwise be a unified ecosystem.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
So according to Bloomberg, they have been in talks since at least June to develop handsets for sale to users of the Amazon Prime service, according to two people familiar with the talks. Are there really enough prime users to warrant or sustain a phone? Do they think people will ditch their idevices that they can already get amazon instant video on? How would this succeed where the Facebook phone failed?

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
These stories about HTC have been coming out for years now. Maybe it's so they can claim a loss every year in Taiwan.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Does HTC have any other product offerings besides phones? It may be best for them to throw in the towel and concnetrate on those other products if they have any.

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Or it could just end up like the HTC one which didn't even make it a full 30 days on the market before being discontinued :p

That was the htc "first" but i know what you meant. Now that was failing at it's best. I did just find a couple on craigslist, i was wondering if anyone still had one.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
That was the htc "first" but i know what you meant. Now that was failing at it's best. I did just find a couple on craigslist, i was wondering if anyone still had one.

If the Amazon phone comes out, it definitely won't fail within 30 days! They actually have something to offer. I bet they will put the new video chat help feature on it like the newest Fire tablets.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
If the Amazon phone comes out, it definitely won't fail within 30 days! They actually have something to offer. I bet they will put the new video chat help feature on it like the newest Fire tablets.

Do you really see that as a big selling point for a phone?

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Do you really see that as a big selling point for a phone?

It is A selling point and certainly won't be the only one. Here is the key difference between say Nokia/Samsung phones and a potential Amazon phone (based on what they did with Fire tablets): Former tries to get all segments of the business to use their phones. Amazon goes after certain segments. Amazon knows the Fire devices aren't for everyone. I bet their phones won't be either. The fire tablets are for first time or basic tablet users, those who want a really simple experience or those who are heavily vested into Amazon's ecosystem.

Imagine someone who isn't tech savvy and is either getting their first smartphone or didn't have success with their other smartphones. How valuable would it be to have free access to video chat with support who can show you how to do something then do it for you?

It is not a selling point for anyone on here. That is for sure.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
It is A selling point and certainly won't be the only one. Here is the key difference between say Nokia/Samsung phones and a potential Amazon phone (based on what they did with Fire tablets): Former tries to get all segments of the business to use their phones. Amazon goes after certain segments. Amazon knows the Fire devices aren't for everyone. I bet their phones won't be either. The fire tablets are for first time or basic tablet users, those who want a really simple experience or those who are heavily vested into Amazon's ecosystem.

Imagine someone who isn't tech savvy and is either getting their first smartphone or didn't have success with their other smartphones. How valuable would it be to have free access to video chat with support who can show you how to do something then do it for you?

It is not a selling point for anyone on here. That is for sure.

I guess it would depend on how the video chat was implemented. Would it take the whole screen up? Would you be able to still access the parts of the phone settings while on the video chat? I still think it would be better to stress the amazon video. And even then is there enough of a market of first time smartphone people for that?

I have an original kindle fire and it's a great piece of equipment. For a first tablet to just use for books and basic internet it was fantastic. Once I got the Surface I didn't have much use for it so now my wife uses it for games or to keep the kids occupied with their games. I could see it eventually be the kids only device after we get another Surface or maybe something else. Though I think the live chat is really more of a gimmick. The kindle itself is a great device for it's market.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I guess it would depend on how the video chat was implemented. Would it take the whole screen up? Would you be able to still access the parts of the phone settings while on the video chat? I still think it would be better to stress the amazon video. And even then is there enough of a market of first time smartphone people for that?

I have an original kindle fire and it's a great piece of equipment. For a first tablet to just use for books and basic internet it was fantastic. Once I got the Surface I didn't have much use for it so now my wife uses it for games or to keep the kids occupied with their games. I could see it eventually be the kids only device after we get another Surface or maybe something else. Though I think the live chat is really more of a gimmick. The kindle itself is a great device for it's market.

The video chat also works like a remote control setup where the support person can show the user how to do things and actually do it for them. Non-tech people will really love that if it is added to a phone. I don't know how many times I have had to show family members how to do different things.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
The video chat also works like a remote control setup where the support person can show the user how to do things and actually do it for them. Non-tech people will really love that if it is added to a phone. I don't know how many times I have had to show family members how to do different things.

Showing family members how to use technology, either in person or worse, over the phone, is another conversation entirely! And while it might be nice to have my dad try that. I would feel very sorry for the support person on the other end of the line dealing with him.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs