10-21-2013 01:57 PM
36 12
tools
    Don't look for htc to help carry windows phone forward, they might not be around...DailyTech - HTC Loses Another Key Executive
    10-21-2013 12:23 AM
    I agree with the comment on the website that there is no more room for anyone at android. Samsung owns it now. HTC should refocus and go hard at Nokia and Windows phone. Nokia makes a good product. But build quality is questionable IMO. Come on board and build Windows Phone.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-21-2013 12:42 AM
    I bet they will make some decent money off the Amazon phone assuming the reports are true. Margins won't be high, but I bet a lot will be sold or packaged with other products. Amazon has shown time and time again that they know how to sell. Their best bet might be to run with that and attempt to be the only maker for Amazon.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-21-2013 12:45 AM
    Good point Mase. I had not read that but good point..especially about the margins. My guess is the margins might not be enough to sustain HTC as a company at Amazon but if things are as bad as what is leaking into the press, they will be making a move. Probably soon.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-21-2013 12:53 AM
    I should say this though: I currently work for Amazon and have for about 3 years. I know not all journalist are open about their possible bias, but I will be!
    10-21-2013 12:56 AM
    Hopefully, HTC will get the hardware build quality right on the Amazon devices.

I never gave HTC Windows Phones a second thought, since I know people who had issues with defective hardware on their HTC Androids. HTC's quality assurance seems to have gone downhill, as seen on some of the threads and articles on Android Central.
    10-21-2013 12:57 AM
    Hopefully, HTC will get the hardware build quality right on the Amazon devices.

I never gave HTC Windows Phones a second thought, since I know people who had issues with defective hardware on their HTC Androids. HTC's quality assurance seems to have gone downhill, as seen on some of the threads and articles on Android Central.
    So you're convinced HTC's next stop is Amazon? I hope they survive.
    I still have a soft spot for HTC. They were my first smart phone AND my first Windows Phone on Sprint.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-21-2013 01:05 AM
    I still have a soft spot for HTC. They were my first smart phone AND my first Windows Phone on Sprint.
    My soft spot was for Palm...room for future comparison?
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-21-2013 01:08 AM
    My first smartphone was a Nokia Symbian E62. I've always had Cingular/AT&T.
    10-21-2013 01:34 AM
    My soft spot was for Palm...room for future comparison?
    Palm/webOS is the only vendor/platform I've never even played with in a store.
    10-21-2013 01:35 AM
    Boy does it surprise me? - NO.
    LOL.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-21-2013 01:35 AM
    My Palm Treo was awesome back in the day! It was still at a time when most people still had to pay for ringtones, and I could just use an mp3 file. I felt a little special!
    10-21-2013 01:38 AM
    My Palm Treo was awesome back in the day! It was still at a time when most people still had to pay for ringtones, and I could just use an mp3 file. I felt a little special!
    I'm like, never paid a penny for ringtones. Used the default ones :p
    10-21-2013 01:39 AM
    Someone answer me, how hard would it be to just change the buttons on the bottom of the one and load wp on it and sell it?
    10-21-2013 01:46 AM
    Someone answer me, how hard would it be to just change the buttons on the bottom of the one and load wp on it and sell it?
    Wrong thread...and impossible.
    10-21-2013 01:49 AM
    I have had numerous htc phones, evo, evo 3d, one s, one x. All worked quite well. I hope they can hang on. The amazon path sounds like a good plan for them.
    10-21-2013 06:10 AM
    Simply enough, I don't know if I would even consider them for purchase anymore. I use to be a diehard HTC fan, but the last HTC I owned was an HD7. Ever since I've switched to Nokia. One of the main reasons I loved them was because of their phones with physical keyboards (and buttons) but that's a long forgotten fad :(. Sad to say but if they go Amazon that would be seen as a last ditch effort before their eventual end.
    10-21-2013 06:57 AM
    It will be very interesting to see how this deal with Amazon goes. I feel it's make or break for HTC in the upcoming 12 months. They have a few options on where to go from now, but I already feel like them being an exclusive WP maker like Nokia will simply not happen. In fact I could see them soon going Android/Amazon only. If they have signed this deal with Amazon, that will be their strategy for a while. I doubt they will make more WP devices whilst doing more with Android for Amazon. I would like to see them do more with WP and boost WP's marketshare, but I think to myself, they have had the chance with WP and they blew it. Nokia got it right, and no Nokia haven't made a bucket load of money or got WP up there with Android, but if you look at where WP and Nokia were not that long ago, I'd say Nokia have done a good job. I feel for HTC in a way, as even though I have only owned one of their phones, their designs are nice and they can make damn good phones when they want to, but they have let a few things slip and they have been punched hard by Samsung on one side and Nokia on the other. No idea where they will end up though.. we'll just have to wait and see.
    10-21-2013 07:17 AM
    Palm/webOS is the only vendor/platform I've never even played with in a store.
    You should try one once. Forget about the lack of apps, just concentrate on the UI and the gestures, universal search and Synergy. Remember, this OS came out in '09.
    10-21-2013 08:59 AM
    This sounds more like "Peter, get your sh!t together or you'll be selling straw hats on the sidewalk".

HTC Chairwoman Takes More Active Management Role - Digits - WSJ
    etad putta likes this.
    10-21-2013 09:00 AM
    I bet they will make some decent money off the Amazon phone assuming the reports are true. Margins won't be high, but I bet a lot will be sold or packaged with other products. Amazon has shown time and time again that they know how to sell. Their best bet might be to run with that and attempt to be the only maker for Amazon.
    Or it could just end up like the HTC one which didn't even make it a full 30 days on the market before being discontinued :P
    10-21-2013 09:02 AM
    If HTC helps Amazon produce and put forward another forked android product I wish them nothing but the worst. Amazon is the worst company imaginable for hocking a fork on what would otherwise be a unified ecosystem.
    10-21-2013 09:10 AM
    So according to Bloomberg, they have been in talks since at least June to develop handsets for sale to users of the Amazon Prime service, according to two people familiar with the talks. Are there really enough prime users to warrant or sustain a phone? Do they think people will ditch their idevices that they can already get amazon instant video on? How would this succeed where the Facebook phone failed?
    10-21-2013 09:17 AM
    These stories about HTC have been coming out for years now. Maybe it's so they can claim a loss every year in Taiwan.
    10-21-2013 09:21 AM
    Does HTC have any other product offerings besides phones? It may be best for them to throw in the towel and concnetrate on those other products if they have any.
    10-21-2013 09:21 AM
36 12