Nokia was founded in 1865

stalemate1

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
2013-10-30_22-23-32.png

And people say cellphones came out in the 90s

Or perhaps Nokia was producing goods unrelated to electrics like Peugeot was making sowing machines before it made cars.

stalemate1

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
What other old companies sold things completely unrelated to their product today ? Peugeot made sowing machines.

What others do you know of ?

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
The "old Nokia"'s most prominent product nowadays are car tires, most likely, although I believe it has been made into it's own company "Nokian tyres". Regardless, they have been quite seperate from the mobile phone business for a long time :p

Interesting is, that the city/town of Nokia is very far from where the mobile phone business started (Salo). The phones never had anything to do with the city of Nokia, which is where the name and company originates from. It started out by Nokia buying this local TV factory/manufacturer called Salora (we still have a few of those around from the 80s, working perfectly). After a while they started venturing other mobile technologies and "Mobira" was born, which was basically Nokia as we knew it for a few decades afterwards.

I've been born and living in Salo all my life, I've also worked 4 different jobs within the Nokia campus, it's a real shame that it's only some R&D left anymore here.. the campus was really cool and big even if Salo is a small city and it doesn't really have to shame some other big corporate campuses anywhere in Finland. It was a great place to work too and see the mobile phone business from the inside :p

It's also funny how my Nokia N8 was manufactured just few hundred meters from my home :D Sadly my Lumia 920 wasn't anymore :D

stalemate1

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Anyone remember Namco ?

They started out as giving children rides on the roof of an apartment store. See attachments for more info and history.

Attachments

• 1383216229552.jpg
    1383216229552.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 81
  • 1383216257393.jpg
    1383216257393.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 79

stalemate1

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Nintendo used to make hanafuda cards (Japanese playing cards). They also did love hotels and taxi services.

They did a lot more than that. They even sold food.

Here's a paragraph strait from Wikipedia:

In 1963, Yamauchi renamed Nintendo Playing Card Co. Ltd. to Nintendo Co., Ltd. [15] The company then began to experiment in other areas of business using newly injected capital. During this period of time between 1963 and 1968, Nintendo set up a taxi company, a love hotel chain, a TV network, a food company (selling instant rice, similar to instant noodles) and several other things. [citation needed] All of these ventures eventually failed, and after the 1964 Tokyo Olympics, playing card sales dropped, and Nintendo's stock price plummeted to ?60.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
They did a lot more than that. They even sold food.

Here's a paragraph strait from Wikipedia:

In 1963, Yamauchi renamed Nintendo Playing Card Co. Ltd. to Nintendo Co., Ltd. [15] The company then began to experiment in other areas of business using newly injected capital. During this period of time between 1963 and 1968, Nintendo set up a taxi company, a love hotel chain, a TV network, a food company (selling instant rice, similar to instant noodles) and several other things. [citation needed] All of these ventures eventually failed, and after the 1964 Tokyo Olympics, playing card sales dropped, and Nintendo's stock price plummeted to ?60.
A janitor of theirs actually created the Game Boy ;)

stalemate1

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
A janitor of theirs actually created the Game Boy ;)

Very hard to visualise, could imagine him messing around with Nintendos electronic waist and coming to his boss and saying look what I made. LOL if I was him I would have taken my invention and run away, then I'd sell it to get the capital I need to make more.

It's almost as funny as saying "i work at NASA in the United states" but conveniently forgetting to mention that you are just the janitor that cleans the toilets on the premises. LOL

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Even though Nokia didn't make mobile phones until the 1980s, they did invent the SIM card in 1872. All Nokia products since then have a SIM card slot. However, although the function is the same, the size is fallen significantly. You remember the old credit card size SIMs from the 1990s? In the 1890s, the card was approximately the size of a modern football pitch. If you have a suitable adaptor, you can still use one of those old SIMs in the modern Lumia, and your modern SIM in a 1872 rubber boot.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte