11-03-2013 11:34 PM
82 1234
tools
    I think Nokia's biggest issue with their product lineup (at least in the US), is that they have no phones in the size range that most women prefer. I have a 920 with not a single scratch on it, but no woman I know will take it because it is too bulky and too heavy. Nokia is missing an entire demographic here...A demographic that could be filled with something like the Lumia 520, but with slightly better specs and including a FFC and flash. Or a 620 with a 4 inch screen.
    My wife is of average height and size and she loves her 920. She even put some kind of big-a case on it (she didn't want to take a chance of it breaking if dropped) and now it looks just like a brick. She doesn't care, she still loves it.
    snowmutt likes this.
    11-01-2013 12:13 PM
    In response to 'ecosystem'- wp8 is like wp7 except under the hood changes and some other functionality(I agree direct USB plug-in, and sd card support was probably the best thing they introduced since wp7 but that's not the only thing here...). But even during wp7 days, people did not buy one because it didn't meet their expectations or lacked what the other mobile os had in terms of features. Nokia lumia phones were/are known for their cameras and not for the os itself. If there is a USP of windows phone,there isn't. It's too basic, hardly 5% market share and not too many apps even in 2013. It's been four years since wp came in. And not much has changed ever since. But android has grown so much within the same period(apple is something else). If Nokia brings out more low end phones, and Microsoft keep updating their os, only then the app market will improve with time and more people will buy windows phone in a world that's dominated by apple and google android. Ms needs to keep up with the pace. No developer will want to come to windows market unless there is a demand for his app, or there are a lot of folks using wp.
    11-01-2013 12:22 PM
    Well, now that the competition's heavy guns are all laid out on the table, I'd have to ask: What is Nokia's answer to iPhone 5s and Nexus 5 this holiday season?

If you're on Verizon, it may be the Lumia 929 (though it's still just a rumour). But what about the rest of us?
    The 1520? I would say no; it's a phablet so it's not a flagship device, and its size makes it unappealing to a majority of people
    The 1020? But that is just a refresh of the 920 with a better camera and extra RAM. To people who are not photo-buffs, it doesn't offer much over the 920 (not to mention it loses built-in wireless charging)

I hope Nokia still has some surprise up its sleeves, It's hard to imagine they would want to enter the holiday buying season without a true flagship to compete against Apple and Google.
    The L929 is more than a rumour by now, seeing as we have actually SEEN the phone in the hands of a member of these Forums.

To answer your question, I think the only one to directly compete with the likes of the iPhone 5S, Galaxy S4, Xperia Z1 and Nexus 5, will be an international version of the L929 that must be released.

I completely agree with you on the matter of the L1520 and L1020. They are great devices but they are niche devices. Niche devices aren't meant to be flagships. And so, as of yet, Nokia's flagship is still the L920.

The L929 and international version is clearly the successor for the L920. Why haven't they announced them yet, is something I don't understand...but I also give thanks...means it gives me time to recoup from the blow my wallet has already suffered with the new Surface's accessories, new console games etc...because I'm definitely buying that one.
    11-01-2013 12:36 PM
    I'm waiting for the 5" version of the 1520 that will be the perfect upgrade for me. Just hope it isn't too far off !
    11-01-2013 12:43 PM
    My wife is of average height and size and she loves her 920. She even put some kind of big-a case on it (she didn't want to take a chance of it breaking if dropped) and now it looks just like a brick. She doesn't care, she still loves it.
    I'm glad your wife loves it. But she is most certainly in the minority when it comes to phone size.
    11-01-2013 01:02 PM
    Well, now that the competition's heavy guns are all laid out on the table, I'd have to ask: What is Nokia's answer to iPhone 5s and Nexus 5 this holiday season?

If you're on Verizon, it may be the Lumia 929 (though it's still just a rumour). But what about the rest of us?
    The 1520? I would say no; it's a phablet so it's not a flagship device, and its size makes it unappealing to a majority of people
    The 1020? But that is just a refresh of the 920 with a better camera and extra RAM. To people who are not photo-buffs, it doesn't offer much over the 920 (not to mention it loses built-in wireless charging)

I hope Nokia still has some surprise up its sleeves, It's hard to imagine they would want to enter the holiday buying season without a true flagship to compete against Apple and Google.
    I think Lumia 925 is good enough as a flagship to compete with iOS & Android latest & greatest handsets.
    Sure I speak for myself.
    Editguy1900 likes this.
    11-01-2013 01:13 PM
    I think Lumia 925 is good enough as a flagship to compete with iOS & Android latest & greatest handsets.
    Sure I speak for myself.
    ya, I would say I can't agree there...925 looks like a nice device, but its limited to carriers and countries...and the internals are realistically over a year old
    11-01-2013 01:21 PM
    As far as a direct competitor to the 5S, Nexus 5 and the other top android phones out now I feel the 929 will be really the only one until spring and that's only on Verizon. I don't think Microsoft/Nokia trying to compete and win on that level right now, but that will probably change with 8.1. Seems like they are focusing on the low end market right now. Now if the 929 and 1520 was going to be available on all carriers it might be different, but it seems like they are trying to get a unique phone on each carrier, at least in the US.
    11-01-2013 01:35 PM
    The reason its sad is because i've got a hand full of buddies with iPhone 4's ready to HW upgrade, within the next 2 months. They don't want another iPhone, definitely don't want an Android and were looking forward to WP potentially. However, we no longer have the 920 here for sale on contract deals, I cannot recommend a 1020 for 2 year contract $200 because realistically its a 920 with 2GB of ram and 41MP camera (which is awesome but my friends dont really want). Also, here in Canada there are no 928, 925 models and the 4.5" is the ideal size for most. so what situation is left? They will either just get an iPhone 5s or Nexus 5...or G2... (which are closer to 5" but the coolest and latest) or anything other than WP. With the momentum Surface is finally capturing, people NOW are a little more open-minded to WP8...so there may be others thinking the same as my buddies. It's sad because WP8 could finally have gained some foundation during the xmas holiday season with some updated 92x models but are riding on the coat tails of the 1020...which may appeal to some but doesnt leave options open.

This is exactly the point I am trying to make.

People tend to make bigger purchases around the holiday buying season (yeah it's a shocker I know). Sure, the diehard fans out there will likely go back to their platform of choice, but for the masses they'll gravitate towards the newest and shiniest gadget with the most buzz around it, and there's no question that the 5s and Nexus 5 fit the bill. But if you look at the WP camp, I can't help but see a void there, and I really think it's a missed opportunity for Nokia/MS that they are not putting up a compelling option during this critical time.
    chezm, Ek-Balam and AngryNil like this.
    11-01-2013 02:09 PM
    IMO, the only challenger to the Nexus 5 and iCrap 5 would be an updated variant of the 1020 for all other carriers. The 929, 13xx and 15xx really have nothing other than size going for it for a "wow" factor.

And MS/Nokia need to get past their current naming conventions. To the average person all these numbered variants are confusing.
    nohra likes this.
    11-01-2013 02:18 PM

This is exactly the point I am trying to make.

People tend to make bigger purchases around the holiday buying season (yeah it's a shocker I know). Sure, the diehard fans out there will likely go back to their platform of choice, but for the masses they'll gravitate towards the newest and shiniest gadget with the most buzz around it, and there's no question that the 5s and Nexus 5 fit the bill. But if you look at the WP camp, I can't help but see a void there, and I really think it's a missed opportunity for Nokia/MS that they are not putting up a compelling option during this critical time.
    Agreed. People are letting their personal bias interests proceed the reality of truth...people Want the latest shinny toy to have latest technologies and show off, especially their phone since its on them 99% of the time. There is a void people may not want to admit in these parts. Smartphones are a huge seller at Xmas and I think Google is going to capitalize most at the cheap cost of Nexus 5...most of the WP8 phones at my local shop are 6 months old...with a huge 2 choices (sarcasm). Note 3, iPhone 5c and Nexus 5 will be the top sellers is my guess.
    Last edited by chezm; 11-01-2013 at 06:56 PM.
    11-01-2013 02:19 PM
    The Nexus 5 isn't even the best Android device. The Note 3 is #1 for specs, the LG G2 is the best device in its class for all the features it has over the LG Nexus 5

The only thing the nexus has going for it is plain vanilla Android and the price. The G2 has a ton of features plain android doesn't including knock-on feature they stole from Nokia Symbian devices.

I still think the Nokia 1020 is the best Windows Phone available. The sucky part is the 1520 is also a AT&T exclusive. The best 2 windows phone devices on the same carrier.

Hopefully Microsoft comes out with a unsubsidized Nexus type of windows phone that is under $400

Sent from my LG-D801 using WPCentral Forums mobile app
    11-01-2013 02:36 PM
    IMO, the only challenger to the Nexus 5 and iCrap 5 would be an updated variant of the 1020 for all other carriers. The 929, 13xx and 15xx really have nothing other than size going for it for a "wow" factor.

And MS/Nokia need to get past their current naming conventions. To the average person all these numbered variants are confusing.
    The 1520 and 929 have the same processor and screen resolution as the newest crop of android phones whereas the 1020 has a processor that's relatively old (I'm not saying the 1020 isn't snappy btw). Since all three of these Lumia have awesome cameras I feel the 929 and 1520 are more on the same level as the newer phones on other platforms, especially when they are updated to 8.1.
    11-01-2013 03:37 PM

The only thing the nexus has going for it is plain vanilla Android and the price.
    But that, along with the ecosystem and the best development community in the mobile space, may be all that it needs.
    11-01-2013 04:23 PM
    LOL! Guess I didn't realize flagship phones were a big gift item.

For me, there's nothing in the iPhone or Android camp that would make me choose those over the 1020 or 928. If people want fancy, release the 1020 in brushed metal cases

In reality, if the current WP offerings don't fit for people, I don't think anything being released in the next 6+ months is going to make iPhone or Android fans go gaga and switch to WP. Just my 2 cents as someone who went through the whole decision making process not too many months ago.
    It's not a big-gift item necessarily. I got my 920 as an early Christmas gift last year, but it wasn't a big gift (since I got it for just $50). However, I can say that if I was in a position to get a device this year instead of last year (where the 920 was on-par with the competition), I 'd simply pass, probably until my birthday in May. I couldn't justify a 2-year contract on a 920 or 1020, seeing as it runs on an old SoC and runs REALLY hot on most games. The 1520 would be too big for my liking, most likely, and the news that the AT&T model loses the 32 GB of storage and wireless charging would probably be the nail in that coffin. The only option would be the 929, if I had stayed on Verizon (which I didn't care to do one way or the other).
    nohra likes this.
    11-01-2013 04:44 PM
    Same with my friends. One got a 5S and one ordered a Nexus 5. I didn't even have anything to suggest to them because neither the windows phone OS nor the hardware has evolved since 12 months ago. Admittedly the 920 was an awesome choice 12 months ago, but now it's not worth buying on a 2 year contract. They should have announced a 930 and kept the 1520 under wraps till Windows 8.1 released with a more productive OS. As it stands, the 1520 doesn't do anything more, and it'll limit their sales since it's so damn huge. I can't imagine what Nokia or Microsoft must be thinking. It's ridiculous not to compete with the 5S and nexus 5 when the support for the flagship hardware is here in GDR3!
    11-01-2013 06:10 PM
    I have to agree with just about everyone on this thread. The phones Nokia just introduced are really nice; BUT they are not what most people are buying. If they would take the 925 and do some upgrading of the insides (more memory, removable battery, SD card slot, quad core cpu etc) it would be a good alternative to the phones Google, Apple and LG (Samsung's was already out) are pushing. I have a 820 which I got because of the things it had that the 920 did not (same insides), SD card slot, removeable battery etc. Same thing with the 520, it is responsible for much of the WP8 market gains. Why not improve it and give it a minor price hike. My wife and I are on a AT&T plan but my wife cannot upgrade to the 520 from her feature phone even though the 520 works on AT&T because it is only available on their non plan deal. How dumb can things get?
    11-01-2013 06:29 PM
    A more interesting question is, from my point of view: what will be the HTC, Samsung, and Huawei WP answer to the iPhone 5s and the Nexus 5 this holiday season?
    11-01-2013 06:33 PM
    I think its pretty clear HTC and Samsung do not care much for their support in WP which is unfortunate....especially HTC who isnt doing too well overall.
    11-01-2013 06:58 PM
    Same with my friends. One got a 5S and one ordered a Nexus 5. I didn't even have anything to suggest to them because neither the windows phone OS nor the hardware has evolved since 12 months ago. Admittedly the 920 was an awesome choice 12 months ago, but now it's not worth buying on a 2 year contract. They should have announced a 930 and kept the 1520 under wraps till Windows 8.1 released with a more productive OS. As it stands, the 1520 doesn't do anything more, and it'll limit their sales since it's so damn huge. I can't imagine what Nokia or Microsoft must be thinking. It's ridiculous not to compete with the 5S and nexus 5 when the support for the flagship hardware is here in GDR3!
    I often wish MS had rolled GDR3 into WP 8.1 and released it this year. Just imagine what a better situation we would be in now:

The 929 would be rechristened the Lumia 930, successor to the 920 and available internationally
    Delay the 1020 slightly and release it as the Lumia 1030 instead, with updated internals to match that 41 mp powerhouse
    Also release the 1520 as the Lumia 1530

This way Nokia/MS would have a comprehensive portfolio entering the holidays and can stand toe-to-toe with the competition. Sigh...
    11-01-2013 08:26 PM
    Jesus Christ people. When I said fad, I didn't mean it will die out soon. I don't deny that they sell millions of these, and that iDiots would line up for days to buy those phones. I mean iDiots would follow whatever apple tells them is important.

Look, we all know that a 64 bit processor doesn't do you any good if your RAM is not more than 4gb. Look at me in the eyes and tell me the 5s has more than 4gb of ram.

I'm not saying wp or android is better. If you like the retina display, then god bless you. I don't care. What I'm saying is it's a fad because people (iDiots) feel the need to line up for days to get it even though they are broke as a joke. I know a dozen people who live in crappy apartments, work at fast food for minimum wage, etc. and they always have to have the latest iPhone.
    11-01-2013 08:31 PM
    That fingerprint scanner is a revolution in that it is the first known implementation of biometrics on a mobile device that is reliable, secure and consistent. I had an Atrix and a few laptops, and this was ALWAYS hit and miss. Scanner wouldn't recognise my thumb half the time. We got a 5S in for a test device and I tried it - amazingly reliable. It always worked, regardless of dirty thumb (intentionally stained with chocolate), orientation of finger, etc.

About retina display, I don't know about you, but I thought exactly the same until I got an iPod Touch 4G for 50 euro. After that, and my current Retina MBP, I can tell you that the difference is very noticeable when you use a screen with a lower PPI.

And finally, fad or not, they sold 9 million of the damned things.
    The fingerprint reader on the 5S is extremely unsecure as has been proved by tech people, it can be easily hacked and overridden. Also the higher end Nokia Lumias have screens with a higher resolution than the retina display, retina is 640 x 960 whereas Lumia is 768 x 1280
    nohra, Editguy1900 and cckgz4 like this.
    11-01-2013 09:46 PM
    Jesus Christ people. When I said fad, I didn't mean it will die out soon. I don't deny that they sell millions of these, and that iDiots would line up for days to buy those phones. I mean iDiots would follow whatever apple tells them is important.

Look, we all know that a 64 bit processor doesn't do you any good if your RAM is not more than 4gb. Look at me in the eyes and tell me the 5s has more than 4gb of ram.

I'm not saying wp or android is better. If you like the retina display, then god bless you. I don't care. What I'm saying is it's a fad because people (iDiots) feel the need to line up for days to get it even though they are broke as a joke. I know a dozen people who live in crappy apartments, work at fast food for minimum wage, etc. and they always have to have the latest iPhone.
    I feel sorry for all these people under apples spell
    11-01-2013 09:48 PM

Probably the word "fad' wasn't great for your point, then, which I mostly agree with. I sure went a different direction then what you meant. "Fad" gives the impression that something is the mobile version of the mullet. That wasn't what you were saying at all.
    11-02-2013 12:05 AM
    I don't deny that they sell millions of these, and that iDiots would line up for days to buy those phones. I mean iDiots would follow whatever apple tells them is important...

Almost 40 million people purchased an iPhone in the last quarter. iPhones account for over 30% of US smartphone sales. They are a legitimate choice when an ordinary person wants to buy a new phone. Yes, you read that right – Apple isn't selling to some cult, they are selling to ordinary people. You're completely out of touch with reality.

EDIT: I also want to address this:
    There's more to moving to 64-bit than addressing more memory. Have a read of this page.

People tend to make bigger purchases around the holiday buying season (yeah it's a shocker I know)… I can't help but see a void there, and I really think it's a missed opportunity for Nokia/MS that they are not putting up a compelling option during this critical time.
    Nailed it.
    Last edited by AngryNil; 11-02-2013 at 12:30 AM.
    snowmutt likes this.
    11-02-2013 12:09 AM
82 1234