What is Nokia's answer to iPhone 5s and Nexus 5 this holiday season?

anon(5325154)

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Well, now that the competition's heavy guns are all laid out on the table, I'd have to ask: What is Nokia's answer to iPhone 5s and Nexus 5 this holiday season?

If you're on Verizon, it may be the Lumia 929 (though it's still just a rumour). But what about the rest of us?
The 1520? I would say no; it's a phablet so it's not a flagship device, and its size makes it unappealing to a majority of people
The 1020? But that is just a refresh of the 920 with a better camera and extra RAM. To people who are not photo-buffs, it doesn't offer much over the 920 (not to mention it loses built-in wireless charging)

I hope Nokia still has some surprise up its sleeves, It's hard to imagine they would want to enter the holiday buying season without a true flagship to compete against Apple and Google.

nohra

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Well, now that the competition's heavy guns are all laid out on the table, I'd have to ask: What is Nokia's answer to iPhone 5s and Nexus 5 this holiday season?

If you're on Verizon, it may be the Lumia 929 (though it's still just a rumour). But what about the rest of us?
The 1520? I would say no; it's a phablet so it's not a flagship device, and its size makes it unappealing to a majority of people
The 1020? But that is just a refresh of the 920 with a better camera and extra RAM. To people who are not photo-buffs, it doesn't offer much over the 920 (not to mention it loses built-in wireless charging)

I hope Nokia still has some surprise up its sleeves, It's hard to imagine they would want to enter the holiday buying season without a true flagship to compete against Apple and Google.

LOL! Guess I didn't realize flagship phones were a big gift item. :grin:

For me, there's nothing in the iPhone or Android camp that would make me choose those over the 1020 or 928. If people want fancy, release the 1020 in brushed metal cases :amaze:

In reality, if the current WP offerings don't fit for people, I don't think anything being released in the next 6+ months is going to make iPhone or Android fans go gaga and switch to WP. Just my 2 cents as someone who went through the whole decision making process not too many months ago.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
The 520, which seems to be the bulk of the sales anyhow.

Parents that want to get their kids their first smartphone for the holidays may not want to get them something as expensive as an iPhone if they aren't responsible enough. 520 seems to be that "test" item

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Outside of the 929, which there is enough chatter out there to make me believe it is real, you have what will be released this year. WP 8.1 (also called Windows Phone Blue earlier) will bring the next wave of Hero devices.

The 2 or 3 phablets are a Huge (pun completely intended) release. Have you seen the interest in these 5"-6" devices? Getting in on these sales are truly more important then what most of us think. Mini Tablets are almost outselling large tablets, and the sales of the Note have increased every year it has been released. These Phablet releases are very, very important.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

Parents that want to get their kids their first smartphone for the holidays may not want to get them something as expensive as an iPhone if they aren't responsible enough. 520 seems to be that "test" item

The 520 is so important for so many reasons. It gets WP devices into peoples hands who would otherwise would never get one. Consumers are using them as a back up device and will see first hand the advantages of WP. Younger kids/teens who are on a strict budget can get them easily. Developing markets are eating them up.

All this will build the loyality among a group of buyers that will translate into repeat customers. As WP tries to break that mythical 10% barrier in world wide sales, that is amazingly important. This again shows why Nokia was the partner MS had to have: Nokia required MS to design WP to work on low end devices just to build this audience. MS was looking to compete for the mid/high end market first instead of the low end/entry market. Nokia, of course, was correct. Just like a company who helped build the cell phone revolution would be.

EZJ

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
To be honest. They don't need an answer. Cause the answer is already out there, the Lumia 1020.

The 1020 is what the iPhone 5S is to the original iPhone 5. A refresh, and more is not needed really. The 920 still works great and the extra's of the 1020 are just a bonus. As a matter of fact, I expect more people to get a iPhone 5 now, because it's cheaper since the 5S is out.

The Nexus 5 is in a league of it's own. Android has always been about high specs, because the OS pretty much needs all power to run smoothly. And for the price? Don't worry about that. The Nexus devices have always been very cheap . Yet they lack the experience that some people want that OEMs like HTC, Samsung and Sony provide with their own UI and features.

goodintentions

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
The 5s is a fad. 64 bit processor don't do any better than 32 below 4gig ram. The so called retina display is a fad. Normal everyday people don't need ultra clear screen on a handheld device. Fingerprint scanner is a fad. Does it really give a person that much of an advantage?

Only iDiots would line up for days to buy the 5s. I know a few iDiots that are always broke as a joke and they always have the latest iPhone.

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site

iPhone 5C - $100-200 on AT&T
iPhone 4S - $1-50 on same

Sadly, those are more likely to get the lion's share of such sales...

Tre Lawrence

May 27, 2013
Visit site
The 5s is a fad. 64 bit processor don't do any better than 32 below 4gig ram. The so called retina display is a fad. Normal everyday people don't need ultra clear screen on a handheld device. Fingerprint scanner is a fad. Does it really give a person that much of an advantage?

Only iDiots would line up for days to buy the 5s. I know a few iDiots that are always broke as a joke and they always have the latest iPhone.

Then WP8 dearly needs some "fads" of its own. I'm sure MSFT would agree.

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site

That fingerprint scanner is a revolution in that it is the first known implementation of biometrics on a mobile device that is reliable, secure and consistent. I had an Atrix and a few laptops, and this was ALWAYS hit and miss. Scanner wouldn't recognise my thumb half the time. We got a 5S in for a test device and I tried it - amazingly reliable. It always worked, regardless of dirty thumb (intentionally stained with chocolate), orientation of finger, etc.

About retina display, I don't know about you, but I thought exactly the same until I got an iPod Touch 4G for 50 euro. After that, and my current Retina MBP, I can tell you that the difference is very noticeable when you use a screen with a lower PPI.

And finally, fad or not, they sold 9 million of the damned things.

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site

Fingerprint scanning on a phone is not a fad. I think it will save a lot of space and time since its just one touch on the scanner, whereas on ordinary phones, you need to key in a combination or swipe depending on os which takes more time/effort always. Once you get used to unlocking a phone by pressing your thumb, other phones will always feel like a crumble :p

Sent from my Nexus 7 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

It doesn't matter if it's a fad. They sell! Apple sold about as many iPhones in one weekend in September as WP sold the entire quarter. And yes, the iPhone delivers the user experience to justify the sales. They earned their reputation.

Disclaimer: I am no Apple ******. I have an almost new iPhone 5 that sits around without a SIM card in it most of the time. The SIM card that I could put in it is in a Lumia 520!

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Windows phone fanboys need to stop being fanboys and realize that this is a relevant question that deserves an answer from MS/Nokia. Come on people, we know the phablets are a small niche and won't take off selling millions. As it stands, iPhone has this year dominated with no WP challenge in sight. Sad really.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

Really??? A fad??? Wow, I am shocked to hear the single best selling cell phone year in and year out since it's introduction is simply a fad. I understand Android outsells iOS as a whole, but no single Android outsells the iPhone and never has.

I do not understand the argument that somehow the people who are loyal to Apple products will wake up in the Holiday season of 2013 and say: "This thing just is so over rated. I am so over it."

Of course people are going to flock to the iPhone 5S. Apple will package up the "new" iPhone like a new and improved space cruiser that will solve all intersteller disputes. And those users that use Apples ecosystem are invested in it. It isn't a fad, it is a well supported, well oiled, well funded machine.

Nokia/MS need to give reasons for iPhone users to try their WP devices, and MS is building an ecosystem to rival Apple and Nokia has some great hardware innovations to try and stem that tide. I think the rumors of a 5" iPhone show that Apple is actually responding to everyone else in the smart phone race for the first time since.... well, maybe ever.

WP 8.1 should finally get WP on the same level as Android and iOS in features and fix lingering issues from the WP8 software change. They will offer a great user experience, an easy to customize UI, equal hardware, and MS can say there is just as many media offerings for WP as iOS.

Soon, we may even be seeing Android and iOS responding in their devices to WP's momentum. But this Holiday season? I think this season is just about keeping that momentum going and just being competitive.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Windows phone fanboys need to stop being fanboys and realize that this is a relevant question that deserves an answer from MS/Nokia. Come on people, we know the phablets are a small niche and won't take off selling millions. As it stands, iPhone has this year dominated with no WP challenge in sight. Sad really.

excellent post, completely on topic, instead of sidetracking, bashing, or wandering into the fire of -some-other-phone-sucks-because- arguments.

i figured the 1020 would be it. i haven't seen the buzz though that i expected to see. figured a commercial showing the 1020 taking holiday pictures and "no tripod needed!" would be a good way to advertise it's capabilities. if this isn't the one, i don't think there is one.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

While your post is a tad more negative then how I am putting it, I basically agree. I just do not think it is "sad". I just think in 2010, MS hit the reset button on Win Mobile and accepted they were going to grow this new OS slowly. I think they set a 4-6 year plan in place. I think the ecosystem they are bulding - XBOX media/entertainment, cross platform apps, enterprise services, Office, email, the cloud, so on- has the feel of being second to none.

Sometimes, we here on the mobile OS side forget that the profits from WP/XBOX are a drop in the bucket to MS. Enterprise solutions and services is their bread and butter. So long as they defend that turf- and so far, no one has touched them in those areas- the other areas can grow slowly as long as they break even or show any kind of profit at all.

But, I agree with one thought: It is strange for MS to have let WP go this long without at least catching up. I would have thought a stronger sense of urgency would have pushed them to be at least even in hardware before now.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
But, I agree with one thought: It is strange for MS to have let WP go this long without at least catching up. I would have thought a stronger sense of urgency would have pushed them to be at least even in hardware before now.

Because MS is building up an ecosystem, not a phone? Google is building a browser and a data mining mobile instrument for their ad revenue. Apple has an ecosystem in place. MS is building theirs - if you look at the bigger picture, you will realize that MS hasn't just say twirling their thumbs but have actually done a lot since 2010 to make an ecosystem where having a Windows Phone now makes sense and in coming couple of years will make a LOT more sense to everyone.

With death of support for XP, people will move to Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 or 8.5 (when that is even better!) and in coming 3-5 years for MS it makes sense to aim at those billions of PC users and businesses to give out Windows Phone and consumers to use Windows Phone. This ecosystem will be huge due to advantage of PCs against Macs and advantage of Xbox against iTV or Google Play. People will buy into ecosystem, not into a phone.

Currently I would like to jump the ship and get BBM and all those games by getting an iPhone but I've invested in an ecosystem and seamless sync of my office docs via Skydrive on my phone and on my Windows 8 at work makes more sense to me than BBM. Hence, however much I want BBM, I won't choose an iPhone. It feels like owning an odd one out when I have Surface, Windows 8 PC at work, Windows 8 laptop at home, Xbox 360, Xbox Live, Xbox Music Pass and Windows Phone.

They want about a billion of me in coming 5 years. See? Even though we as consumers don't want an ecosystem, for MS this is the pace at which they want to develop WP. Because if they bring everything into an ecosystem at same point, each component can grow together. Then they can sell us services like cloud storage, Xbox Music, sharepoint and what not.

So if anyone wants apps or games or high spec phones, they have to break out of an ecosystem and go buy that Nexus 5. But there won't be an answer to any of these phones by Apple or Google because they want to sell phones but MS wants to sell you an ecosystem.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte