Google launches a 1080p, Snapdragon 800 phone at $349.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I think the Nexus 5 is a pretty good deal if you can get it on your carrier.

I've been reading about Android 4.4 and something I find interesting is it is optimized for lower end hardware. I think Google is trying to get their hand in the market that Nokia is doing so well in.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I think the Nexus 5 is a pretty good deal if you can get it on your carrier.

I've been reading about Android 4.4 and something I find interesting is it is optimized for lower end hardware. I think Google is trying to get their hand in the market that Nokia is doing so well in.

I agree. With KitKat it appears that Google is trying to combat the fragmentation. Obviously there are a lot of low end Android phones, but they run older versions of Android. KitKat is designed to run light enough for low end devices as well.

rubenwidjaja

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
I've owned every Nexus phone since the HTC Nexus One, and not one of them have given me any sort of quality issue. It's just that Google is not taking the insane profits that Apple et al get (e.g. iPhone costs $200 to manufacture).

I see, since google not build any care center, that would be decrease the price of their phone.
If there's something wrong with my phone then should I go to LG? wah there's no LG services in my town :(

It certainly doesn't scare me! And as far as the quality, I would say that it's got as good of a track record as the Lumia...
I still scare :)
I scare with their 2300 battery. With 800 snapdragon, if I use it normally would it live for more than 2 days. I use my lumia and can live up 3-4 days in normal use. I'm typical person who lazy charging phone,hahha

Really? Then I guess you are also scared of using low-end lumias since they are cheap as well, right? I know nokias hardware can be trusted but really, there is nothing wrong with the subsidised google nexus. N5 is based on lg masterpiece- the lg g2 , should be very similar except for the camera and the hardware buttons. Pricing don't mean a thing with nexus, you are getting a solid android package and android updates come first to nexus(like apple iOS) devices.
Nah for cheap low end lumias I don't scare. Because Nokia decrease "something" like no commpas, led flash, or something in there low end so the price is make sense for me.
For me price mean a thing expecially for electronic. If you want higher quality then that's mean you must pay higher. Well that's what I'm thinking :)

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
WP8 doesn't really need a super fast CPU fyi. Android on the other hand needs as much CPU just to keep the OS running smooth.
I suggest you spend an hour with a recent Android device and compare app loading times. Windows Phone has serious performance issues in that regard, and I find that far more deal-breaker than some micro-stutter you see here and there on Android. The S4's issues is primarily caused by the terrible software Samsung puts on top, Nexus devices have traditionally felt far smoother.

Though GOOG may be putting out this device I'd bet they are hoping not to sell too many. They have to be taking a loss on every device sold. Here is a link to the specs/etc.
Again, these devices cost around $200 to manufacture. They make take a little hit on R&D (though the Nexus 5 is essentially a repackaged G2).

It is however lacking one crucial thing: Windows Phone ;)
I'll keep it simple: there were 20 Android devices for every Windows Phone sold last quarter. Windows Phone isn't a selling point.

Which is why I think Nokia needs to start diversifying where its sales come from. It would be preferable if it also had hit devices at say $250 and $400.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Google sells Nexus devices more as an example of what Android can be. They have no intentions of making it a huge hit. They could have sold MANY more Nexus 4's at the $300 price if they wanted to. They make little to no money on the phone. You can't compare the two. Nokia can't afford to play that game

To the person who keeps talking about the cost of the parts of the iphone to be $200: Does that include cost to put it together? Cost of R&D (it is not just a rebadged g2)? Cost of any advertising? etc. etc. etc.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
To throw another wrench into the works: Moto G is supposedly ?134.95 off-contract. Specs are comparable to the Lumia 1320.

Google sells Nexus devices more as an example of what Android can be. They have no intentions of making it a huge hit. They could have sold MANY more Nexus 4's at the $300 price if they wanted to. They make little to no money on the phone. You can't compare the two. Nokia can't afford to play that game
Are you forgetting that Microsoft is purchasing Nokia? It absolutely can afford to play that game.

To the person who keeps talking about the cost of the parts of the iphone to be $200: Does that include cost to put it together? Cost of R&D (it is not just a rebadged g2)? Cost of any advertising? etc. etc. etc.
Parts + assembly. R&D and advertising are obviously not included, but you're doing it wrong if you need to make $500 on a device to break even there. It largely is a rebranded G2, it doesn't bring anything particularly new.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
To throw another wrench into the works: Moto G is supposedly ?134.95 off-contract. Specs are comparable to the Lumia 1320.

Are you forgetting that Microsoft is purchasing Nokia? It absolutely can afford to play that game.

Parts + assembly. R&D and advertising are obviously not included, but you're doing it wrong if you need to make $500 on a device to break even there. It largely is a rebranded G2, it doesn't bring anything particularly new.

Nokia is STILL a separate company. Maybe you forgot about that. The deal has yet to go through.

And NO the Nexus 5 and G2 are not basically the same. Here are the differences:

G2 and Nexus 5 differences
-Bands
-Height, width, length
-weight
-screen size
-glass type
-WLAN capabilities and features
-infrared port
-camera specs/quality (and location)
-barometer (as far as I can tell)
-radio
-battery size
-back buttons

Basically the only things that are the same are the processor, amount of memory and that both are made by LG.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Nokia is STILL a separate company. Maybe you forgot about that. The deal has yet to go through.
If it wasn't clear, I'm talking about future plans and have been predominantly referring to Microsoft. It's not like I expect Nokia to slash all their prices after announcing them just a week ago. Even if the deal falls through, what's stopping Microsoft from further subsidising Nokia? (Actually, if the deal isn't approved, RIP Windows Phone.)

Basically the only things that are the same are the processor, amount of memory and that both are made by LG.
Many of those are simply a different body – I don't know about you, but I don't consider the 928 to be a brand new device just because the body differs to the 920. None that I can tell are groundbreaking new parts that would have cost significant R&D on the part of Google or LG. That is ultimately what I'm trying to get at, rather than bickering over the differences between the N5 & G2.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Irrelevant, I'm talking about future plans and have been predominantly referring to Microsoft. Even if the deal falls through, what's stopping Microsoft from further subsidising Nokia? (Actually, if the deal isn't approved, RIP Windows Phone.)

Many of those are simply a different body – I don't know about you, but I don't consider the 928 to be a brand new device just because the body differs to the 920. None that I can tell are groundbreaking new parts that would have cost significant R&D on the part of Google or LG. That is ultimately what I'm trying to get at, rather than bickering over the differences between the N5 & G2.

You are still wrong though man. Let's say a Samsung and LG phone have the same processor and amount of memory, does that mean they are basically the same phone? If Nokia puts out two phones with the same processor and same amount of memory (may not be the same type) but basically everything else is different, does that mean that they are basically the same phone? Do you think using a different camera and moving it's position is always simple? Does changing battery size men that other parts have to be moved around to accept it?

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
You are still wrong though man. Let's say a Samsung and LG phone have the same processor and amount of memory, does that mean they are basically the same phone?
It would require more similarities than that. Here we are talking about the same manufacturer, which does affect the equation. It means LG may have brought the G2 design to Google, and they worked off that. That's a different process from building something from the ground up. And as I said before:

None that I can tell are groundbreaking new parts that would have cost significant R&D on the part of Google or LG. That is ultimately what I'm trying to get at, rather than bickering over the differences between the N5 & G2.
So yeah, if you want me to hand you this aspect of an aspect of my overall argument, sure. I made incorrect claims about the sameness of the two as I did not realise the number of differences they had internally.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Nokia nor Microsoft is going to respond to every device put out by the competition. It took google this long to try and optimize their software for cheaper devices. Market share is growing at a steady rate, and the awareness is becoming more broad. Trying to keep up with the "times" is a losing race as far as specs go. I think what they're doing now, making niche devices for those that crave those things like the 1020, is the best route

Sent from my RM-915_nam_usa_228 using Tapatalk

muvig

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
I hope the next Nokia lumia would have all the features of 1020 be it 41M camera e.t.c, but the video recording would be 60fps or more and be able to watch videos in slow motion, FM radio with RDS+transmitter 64 -128Gb AND OBVIOUSLY the new Snapdragon 800.

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
what would you think if there's a phone with price $350 come up with 1080p, snapdragon 800, gorilla glass 3?
If it's me I would be scare!!!
How could that cheap??? Maybe if it used for 1 month then it broke? No quality check so the price so cheap?

you guys must be know if buying something, if the price too low but it offering something "wow", that's mean there's something wrong with it
I don't know what's wrong with Nexus but I'm scared.

Google pretty much sells at cost. They don't make much money from these things.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site

This. The Nexus line is meant to be a loss leader, not a profit machine. Google sells them at near manufacturing costs merely to break even. Their profits aren't centered around selling phones like Nokia, Samsung, HTC and most other manufacturers. That's why companies charge way more than manufacturing costs, because they need the profits to pay the bills. Google makes the bulk of its money selling ads and don't rely on their Nexus line for additional profits. Maybe once Microsoft officially owns Nokia then we can talk about MS selling higher end devices at a lower cost.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

True, but that doesn't mean that competitors can ignore it. It's still available on the market for the price it is (very low considering the specs), and its presence must be reckoned with.

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
True, but that doesn't mean that competitors can ignore it. It's still available on the market for the price it is (very low considering the specs), and its presence must be reckoned with.

I was more arguing against the idea that this says anything about the quality of the Nexus 5. It says more about the business practices of Google.

This. The Nexus line is meant to be a loss leader, not a profit machine. Google sells them at near manufacturing costs merely to break even. Their profits aren't centered around selling phones like Nokia, Samsung, HTC and most other manufacturers. That's why companies charge way more than manufacturing costs, because they need the profits to pay the bills. Google makes the bulk of its money selling ads and don't rely on their Nexus line for additional profits. Maybe once Microsoft officially owns Nokia then we can talk about MS selling higher end devices at a lower cost.

Maybe, but I doubt it. Look at what they're selling the Surface devices for.

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
The phone is cheap for a very good reason, no marketing, no distribution.

This device will sell, but not much, its a very good phone, but if no one knew about it? Its useless.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99