I'm in the market for a tablet. I like the Microsoft /Nokia ecosystem so a tablet for 'email triage' (great phrase), some light office duties, web and media consumption iswhat I need. The Surface 2 looks great. I don't need the Pro as I have a good laptop.

So I go hunting to try before I buy. The only local stockist in my suburban town with a proper display of tech only had an old version 1. And a major London store had old models, and possibly a 2 Pro but their labeling was a mess. More generally,all the Windows PCs were in varying states of locked, non-functioning or trashed.

What is Microsoft doing?! My own town has a shiny fruit shop full of all their shiny gizmos and well-staffed with hip geeks, who often run little courses on how to use their stuff. And in the department store the small stand was functioning and staffed. They probably don't sell enough to be profitable but it creates a good feeling and a buzz.

Surely having an effective Microsoft support programme for shops makes sense?! And do the same for the tech "journalists" who have changed their blood for fruit juice and make such uneducated and blinkered comparisons.
    11-01-2013 10:40 AM
    Yeah I agree, some stores are a total mess. We need actual Microsoft stores here in the UK in my opinion, as you then have the same 'experience' and professional look no matter what Microsoft store you go in. I haven't been in a John Lewis or PC World recently but I know both of those are selling the Surface 2. It looks like the closest 3 PC World's near me are out of stock of the Surface 2 but a couple in the next city have them.

I'm sure I read something recently that Microsoft themselves are unimpressed by a lot of retail stores that sell their stuff and they are launching a new sales program that educates sales staff more and provides them with better display units etc. So hopefully things will improve on the whole, but yes, some stores can be a bit of a mess.
    psudotechzealot likes this.
    11-01-2013 10:54 AM
    Just so were clear on this OP.

You are blamming MSFT because the mess of a retail location you are shopping at doesn't keep adequent inventory onhand to meet their customers needs? I suggest a better approach would be to call for the store manager and politely tell them they just lost a sale for whatever reason your going on about and order the device online.
    11-01-2013 12:35 PM
    I blame them both. They may well have had stock but I wanted to have a look.

Why did I not say anything? I'm British and we don't do that!

(Yes, it was a branch of PC World, and John Lewis in Oxford Street, London.)
    11-03-2013 01:27 AM
    Really?

Ya know, if you don't tell people what you want things will never change. The problem we have here in the US is people go overboard with it. Anyway, I know better. I work at a British company's US HQ and I've seen a few of them raise all kinds of hell.
    11-03-2013 10:21 AM
    I blame them both. They may well have had stock but I wanted to have a look.

Why did I not say anything? I'm British and we don't do that!

(Yes, it was a branch of PC World, and John Lewis in Oxford Street, London.)
    Funny, most of my interactions with British people have been that they're entirely condescending, but in a very polite way. You do it, you just try to sugar coat it and it doesn't work.
    11-03-2013 10:24 AM
    Microsoft have a lot of catching up to do when it comes to marketing. In the past, MS didn't need to market their products because they came with almost every PC anyway. They didn't even have to work in the shop - what else were you going to buy? They have a lot to learn.
    11-04-2013 04:09 AM
    Really?

Ya know, if you don't tell people what you want things will never change. The problem we have here in the US is people go overboard with it. Anyway, I know better. I work at a British company's US HQ and I've seen a few of them raise all kinds of hell.
    I'm originally from Canada and I've been living in the UK for two years. To give an outsider perspective here. When in the UK, most British people don't complain about the situation, they do that afterwards to friends etc.

The service industry in the UK is pretty much crap to say the least. I've stopped going to shops simply because I refuse to put up with it. Shops have been closing everywhere and for some reason they don't seem to understand why. :P

Most British people I know shop online to avoid going to shops if they can help it. Especially for electronics.
    11-04-2013 04:41 AM
    As for the issues surrounding the Surface here in the UK and with WP in general. I agree that MS needs to do something with the training and product placement. It's overall pretty poor.
    11-04-2013 04:43 AM