Windows 8 now almost at 10%, we were right

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
windows 8/8.1 is actually the best thing I have ever used, the reason is:

1) it has both the legacy and the fun tablet styles.
2) its actually windows 7 + really really good search capabilities, and when you are in the documents business, this helps a lot, I kinda don't know where my files are anymore, I just search, edit, send, and close. amazing :p but that's a bad thing.

stalemate1

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
windows 8/8.1 is actually the best thing I have ever used, the reason is:

1) it has both the legacy and the fun tablet styles.
2) its actually windows 7 + really really good search capabilities, and when you are in the documents business, this helps a lot, I kinda don't know where my files are anymore, I just search, edit, send, and close. amazing :p but that's a bad thing.

How do you search for files on your device ? I click search and I get bing, I go into apps click search and I can only search for apps.

markyjns

May 24, 2013
Visit site
I actually moved from the mac to W8 earlier this year after being with OSx for years. 8 and in particular 8.1 is the best OS I've ever used. I installed it on my mac in visualisation just to 'see' after seeing it on a mates computer and loved it, my iPad has now been replaced with a Windows tablet and my mac runs 8.1 about 90% of the time.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I actually moved from the mac to W8 earlier this year after being with OSx for years. 8 and in particular 8.1 is the best OS I've ever used. I installed it on my mac in visualisation just to 'see' after seeing it on a mates computer and loved it, my iPad has now been replaced with a Windows tablet and my mac runs 8.1 about 90% of the time.

Macs have all have a beautiful hardware, but I never been able to like OS X. It's just too gray.

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
How do you search for files on your device ? I click search and I get bing, I go into apps click search and I can only search for apps.
Windows key + W = search bar
Windows key + X = menu for admin tools (control panel, device manager, network settings, task manager, etc...)
Windows key + C = charms bar
Windows key + E = file explorer
Windows key + R = Run

There are a couple others but these are the biggies that help me the most. Once you learn the shortcut keys there is no reason to use the legacy desktop.

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Windows 8 had a tarnished image right off the bat. There are still people that say things like, "Windows 8 is a total failure" and then when you ask them if they have actually used it they say, "no, but I just heard from...".

I think it will take off as more hybrids and tablets are sold.

when 8 first went rtm, everyone I talked to hated it for a long list of reasons. All of which were either flat out untrue, or had been changed since the developer preview. An excess of 30 people i discussed it with just did not know anything about it, claimed to have "tried it", and refused to not hate it despite my proving that everything they know about it is inaccurate.

You could attribute some of this to the lack of tutorials or help in the dev and consumer previews- people just refused to learn the keyboard shortcuts and various tricks, and resented 8 for not being "easy to use". You're beta testing the god damned thing you morons! Now that rtm does have a tutorial when you first log in, it's too late. The previews should be more exclusive imo, because too many average (stupid) users and low life bloggers got their hands on what really should have been just for developers and power users.

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
As funny as that was, this is the one things about 8.1 that they ruined from Win8. Win8, I felt, had a perfect search, and 8.1 made it a tad more confusing/not as appealing to the eye.

I just wish they didn't remove unified app searching. There's no reason they can't add it in the new interface they have in 8.1.

TechAbstract

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Many people in corporate world will upgrade to Windows 8 or Windows 7 before XP support ends in April next year. It will only increase in volume once you get closer to April.

TechAbstract

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Windows key + W = search bar
Windows key + X = menu for admin tools (control panel, device manager, network settings, task manager, etc...)
Windows key + C = charms bar
Windows key + E = file explorer
Windows key + R = Run

There are a couple others but these are the biggies that help me the most. Once you learn the shortcut keys there is no reason to use the legacy desktop.

Most useful for me is Right Click on bottom left corner of screen (it's same as Win + X. ). There is also a Win + I, it goes to Settings panel of charm bar.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
As funny as that was, this is the one things about 8.1 that they ruined from Win8. Win8, I felt, had a perfect search, and 8.1 made it a tad more confusing/not as appealing to the eye.
I'm also disappointed that the SkyDrive tile is not live anymore. I liked the SkyDrive live tile in Windows 8.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077