Windows 8 now almost at 10%, we were right

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Here on WPCentral we were many to believe Windows 8 would reach more than 10% market share by the end of the year and guess what? We were right.

According to BGR, Windows 8 reached 9,25% market share helped by the 1,72% new Windows 8.1 activations.

So that's it people, Windows 8 is on a good start and it's a matter of time before it makes its way into most households.

crash1989

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I successfully converted my household ... didn't even have to force them, they just loved the new metro UI.

Mum doesn't need desktop, dad only needs desktop ... Windows 8.1 was a godsend, I sent the tuts to my dad and he was able to boot to desktop directly ...
Good to see I contributed to the 1.72% of 8.1

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Windows 8 had a tarnished image right off the bat. There are still people that say things like, "Windows 8 is a total failure" and then when you ask them if they have actually used it they say, "no, but I just heard from...".

I think it will take off as more hybrids and tablets are sold.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Windows 8 had a tarnished image right off the bat. There are still people that say things like, "Windows 8 is a total failure" and then when you ask them if they have actually used it they say, "no, but I just heard from...".
Almost calls for another Mojave Experiment, but it will be harder to pull off since people will likely recognise the start screen. Maybe it could work pretending 8.1 was Windows 9.

abel920

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
No, in a couple of years, Windows 9 will come out and like Windows 7 overshadowed Vista, will do the same thing to W8.1.
Microsoft is always who make mistakes and by the second time around, they will get it right, and everything will start clicking.

Editguy1900

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
No, in a couple of years, Windows 9 will come out and like Windows 7 overshadowed Vista, will do the same thing to W8.1.
Microsoft is always who make mistakes and by the second time around, they will get it right, and everything will start clicking.
They already have it right. People just refuse to see that. This is the first OS ever (and I've used them all, starting with Macs OS in 1984 to OSX and Windows from 3.1 (I also use Ubuntu Linux. Just not enough there to use regularly), and Windows 8 is the first OS that I actually really love!

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
The negativity I hear comes from A) People who haven't even tried it and giving it a chance or B) Apple faithful who think that anything other than Apple is bad.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Dadstar0410

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
The negativity I hear comes from A) People who haven't even tried it and giving it a chance or B) Apple faithful who think that anything other than Apple is bad.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Which is hilarious because in only a year Windows 8 has almost triple the amount of market share that Mac OSX has. Windows 8. In one year.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site

Sent from my Nexus 7

There is also a lot of hate from the typical stubborn, IT guy who thinks that 2000 and XP are still the best OS's that MS has released. If they had their way everyone would still be on XP with the grey taskbar and plain green wallpaper.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Here on WPCentral we were many to believe Windows 8 would reach more than 10% market share by the end of the year and guess what? We were right.

According to BGR, Windows 8 reached 9,25% market share helped by the 1,72% new Windows 8.1 activations.

So that's it people, Windows 8 is on a good start and it's a matter of time before it makes its way into most households.

I don't get it. If W8 reached 9.25 % market share, then that's less than 10 % what means you were not right.

You would only be right if the share increases in the last two months of this year to 10 % or more, but then we just don't know yet if you are right.

But anyway, who was doubting Windows 8 market share? Everybody buying a new computer and not getting a Mac has Windows 8. Only because many people didn't like Windows 8 doesn't mean that it won't get sold anymore. And now with Windows 8.1 this terrible disconnected mess has become good enough that people really can get used to it.

stalemate1

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Does it really matter how many Windows phones sell ? Even at 0.3% market share it would still be profitable and stay in development and production.

Just as long as I can get my wp phone and ms keeps rolling out improvements and bug fixes I'm happy. I dont care if people dont like my device or if its not popular...what does that have to do with me ? Even if wp makes huge losses I dont believe ms will pull out...they have invested too much into the platform.

Xellsama

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
"Everybody buying a new computer and not getting a Mac has Windows 8."

Also true vice versa though. It's not like when you buy a Mac hardware it'll come installed with Ubuntu. If it really is that bad people can definitely go buy Macs, they are not that expensive anymore, or even get a Mac Mini, if most people are fine with iPad then Mac Mini is definitely enough. The PC segment is in decline yet W8/8.1 still grabbed way more market share in a shorter time (percentage based on the same overall units).

I personally really don't see the disconnected mess that you mention, especially now that you can boot to desktop directly. Install start8 or classic8 or whatever if you have to. For me the start page is now my launch board for games and online media. Quite fun.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I personally really don't see the disconnected mess that you mention, especially now that you can boot to desktop directly. Install start8 or classic8 or whatever if you have to. For me the start page is now my launch board for games and online media. Quite fun.

Maybe my sentence wasn't as clear as I thought it was. What I wanted to write is that Windows 8.1 is really an improvement over Windows 8, Windows 8 was a rushed mess which just wasn't finished at all. Basically it was Windows 7 with Metro put onto it. Windows 8.1 changed little, but integrated the two worlds to a much higher degree which makes using the system much more comfortable, also it gave a set of important choices to the user.

Could you back up your statement with the decline and the share with some data? As it is right now it's just a claim that I haven't read in this context.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
"Everybody buying a new computer and not getting a Mac has Windows 8."

Also true vice versa though. It's not like when you buy a Mac hardware it'll come installed with Ubuntu. If it really is that bad people can definitely go buy Macs, they are not that expensive anymore, or even get a Mac Mini, if most people are fine with iPad then Mac Mini is definitely enough. The PC segment is in decline yet W8/8.1 still grabbed way more market share in a shorter time (percentage based on the same overall units).

I just got a new Asus laptop. It was $940. If I were to buy a MacBook with similar specs, I would pay twice as much. I had Windows 8 but upgraded to 8.1 immediately after getting my laptop.

My Asus also has a touchscreen, which the MacBooks lack.

Schnuffi

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
Well I would like to know were all these phones are was at a party last night and I must have seen 70 or 80 phones, and I am sure I was so the only one with a windows phone.
I must be to cool for that group :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6