11-12-2013 01:47 AM
132 1234 ...
tools
    Oppo Fanboy

Elop is a Trojan horse. He has been planted there by Nokia to devalue MSFT and then finally Nokia will buy them out.

From the comments of the verge article. Brilliant!
    HeyCori and dznk like this.
    11-08-2013 09:36 AM
    It was just a figure of speech. I didn't mean anything rude by that. I should have ended my last response to you with an emoticon.
    No worries, it's fine :)
    11-08-2013 09:48 AM
    Oppo Fanboy

Elop is a Trojan horse. He has been planted there by Nokia to devalue MSFT and then finally Nokia will buy them out.

From the comments of the verge article. Brilliant!
    Haha, that's a good one. Elop the double agent
    11-08-2013 09:51 AM
    We're standing on a burning platform.
    there are pills for that
    snowmutt likes this.
    11-08-2013 10:02 AM
    No way i see Microsoft selling Xbox anytime soon. To me their best course of action is the one they are taking with making sure everything is integrated, i just think that they arent doing it fast enough. Xbox Live should be Microsoft's version of Itunes. Stop trying to charge that outrageous amount for Xbox Music (my opinion) and get the ball rolling on apps that i have on windows 8 pc should transfer to my xbox and my windows phones and surface tablet already. Maybe start with what use to be xbox arcade games or something that is simple across all formats.
    11-08-2013 10:03 AM
    Bing is integrated, and with google being douches Bing is the only alt (yahoo I know, dnt care for it) Bing is getting bigger, and now that I'm google free I actually prefer it.

If MS sells Xbox, I will just give up.

It seems like ppl are always trying to put MS down. Every website is bias against them, two devices with the exact same specs and pricing, cnet would give the apple a 10, android a 8, and windows a -1. Everyone only focuses on MS downfalls, what their missing, what they need, never what they are doing good and right. But on other phones its just the opposite. (for example winrt is a broke os because of no desttop mode, when ios and android dnt have it and never will, but they aren't broken at all) xbone is another example but I wnt get into that

I have a feeling all this is bs, and its just a bs rumor made up by ppl who dnt want WP,w8,winrt, Bing, and Xbox to succeed
    dznk and WP8fan like this.
    11-08-2013 10:37 AM
    Well if this happens I will definitely own an iPhone and apple products.
    Oliver Newell likes this.
    11-08-2013 10:40 AM
    So basically, this happened

Dear Mr. Elop,
    A report has just surfaced via Bloomberg that if you were to be CEO of Microsoft, that you could kill Xbox and Bing, because they're not profitable.
    I would like to say that I hope this is not true and strongly ask you not to do this. Microsoft needs Xbox to stay "hip" with consumers and Bing for integration to easily search through their devices.
    According to the article, you want to focus on enterprise, which might work short term, but in the days of "Bring your own device" as well as UNIX taking over back-end servers, Microsoft can't rely solely on enterprise. What the Surfaces and 2-in-1's are doing are perfect as they offer both business and consumer experiences in one package. Push that if you want to work on enterprise, but don't gut the rest of the company for a short term venture.
    I understand the idea of cross-platform office, but office is a major selling point for a windows computer. I have a Surface 2 for school because its office was superior to the iPad for school. If it loses that advantage, there's one less reason to buy a windows tablet. I realize office is profitable, but Microsoft can't rely too much on Office, which sounds like the only real money maker in the long term since (as stated earlier) its losing the device and server wars.
    Thank you for taking the time to read this and I hope you reconsider your decisions.
    Thanks,
    [my name]

Then Elop replied:

Thanks for the note best not to believe everything you read in the press!

Regards,

Stephen
    11-08-2013 10:53 AM
    macromedia->adobe->msft->nokia->msft->???

apple/google?
    11-08-2013 11:24 AM
    In other totally legit news...

Elop will turn MS Access into MS Access Holllywood in hopes of attracting a wider audience.

He's going to dump the "cloud" strategy and go with the "stars" strategy because they're much higher than clouds.

In exchange for putting a full-powered version of MS Office on the iPad, MS will attempt to get the rights to license the iPad name... then renaming all of the Surface tablets to "iPad Wide" and suddenly see all the bloggers praise the exact same product.

He will move MS headquarters to Finland because it's pretty nice there.

Office will be made for Android with the caveat that all versions of Office on Android will be Trojan Horses to destroy Android.

Nobody at MS will be allowed to own puppies or kittens.

Internet Explorer will be discontinued before the internet "fad" goes out of style.

And last, but not least, he's going to take candy away from babies. Babies!!
    11-08-2013 11:26 AM
    It's all speculation at this point. I doubt they would add Google since they are a competitor.
    They wouldn't be as much of a competitor if Bing was cut. I think having Elop being CEO is a horrible idea. He was a horrible CEO at Nokia.

Sent from my LG-D801 using WPCentral Forums mobile app
    techiez likes this.
    11-08-2013 01:54 PM
    It is in a sense, but requires a paid subscription to one of the the main Office 365 suites. It's not an app by itself that you can just purchase on it's own.

I cannot see Bing being sold. Xbox... maybe, it doesn't earn them a lot of money .
    XBOX is probably the biggest money maker Microsoft has, and like people have been saying, Bing is weaved into ever single Microsoft device and service.
    11-08-2013 02:03 PM
    Some investors and analysts have previously called for the software giant to split off its Xbox business and give up on search. Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen appears to feel the same way. Allens $15 billion asset manager, Paul Ghaffari, revealed recently that Bing and Xbox have been distractions for Microsoft. "My view is there are some parts of that operation they should probably spin out, get rid of, to focus on the enterprise and focus on the cloud." Nomura analyst Rick Sherlund claims Microsofts financial earnings could be boosted by 40 percent in fiscal 2015 if the company sold its Bing and Xbox businesses.

This is pretty much where this type of notion is originating from. Investors and analysts want this to happen just so stock prices would get a quick boost from the profit made by a sell off of XBox. I'm sure a guy like Paul Allen has boat loads of Microsoft stocks so it's no secret why he wants it to happen, and the same goes for other big time investors.

It won't make MS into a better company, it will just drive up share prices for a year or two. Then after that the investors will tell MS to start expanding their business again to increase profits.
    11-08-2013 02:03 PM
    They wouldn't be as much of a competitor if Bing was cut. I think having Elop being CEO is a horrible idea. He was a horrible CEO at Nokia.

I thought he was fantastic at Nokia.

The fact that Nokia is seen as relevant now is huge. They were on their way to being forgotten in the mobile space.

I have a feeling that when he was hired, the board of directors already has a grand plan of how they were going to end up focusing on certain businesses and leave the mobile device market. They just needed someone who could stop the hemorrhaging and make it look like their devices division had a future so that it could be sold.
    11-08-2013 02:09 PM
    XBOX is probably the biggest money maker Microsoft has, and like people have been saying, Bing is weaved into ever single Microsoft device and service.
    Not even close. XBOX doesn't make all that much money. Especially compared to the heavy hitters like MS Office, Windows, or even Azure.

XBOX is a play for the future. It always has been. Really long-term thinking.
    FinancialP, dznk, snowmutt and 1 others like this.
    11-08-2013 02:10 PM
    I thought he was fantastic at Nokia.

The fact that Nokia is seen as relevant now is huge. They were on their way to being forgotten in the mobile space.

I have a feeling that when he was hired, the board of directors already has a grand plan of how they were going to end up focusing on certain businesses and leave the mobile device market. They just needed someone who could stop the hemorrhaging and make it look like their devices division had a future so that it could be sold.
    they were working with Intel on meego, N9 was a gr8 device and so was N950 which was killed before the launch, whether or not Nokia would have been more succesful with android is debatable but yes Nokia have done good job with WP, and heard elop did bring in some change to company's DNA, cutdown decision making times etc, but he has his share of worng decisions,
    Like killing N950 and Meltemi, Meltemi was supposed to strengthen feature phones further and plug the lower end gap which WP couldnt reach(I mean devices much more cheaper than L520, WP cant run on those phone and hence Nokia was focussed on Meltemi), Elop seems to be less of a risk taker and stick to which ever is more safe, this thinking is what will make any company obsolete eventually.
    11-08-2013 02:18 PM

and in an alternate world, elop is made CEO of Ms and bing is killed, google crushes rest of the market and becomes dominant further without a competition and eventually Google buysout MS and Elop joins google.
    11-08-2013 02:21 PM
    they were working with Intel on meego, N9 was a gr8 device and so was N950 which was killed before the launch, whether or not Nokia would have been more succesful with android is debatable but yes Nokia have done good job with WP, and heard elop did bring in some change to company's DNA, cutdown decision making times etc, but he has his share of worng decisions,
    Like killing N950 and Meltemi, Meltemi was supposed to strengthen feature phones further and plug the lower end gap which WP couldnt reach(I mean devices much more cheaper than L520, WP cant run on those phone and hence Nokia was focussed on Meltemi), Elop seems to be less of a risk taker and stick to which ever is more safe, this thinking is what will make any company obsolete eventually.
    Going "all in" to WP isn't exactly being "less of a risk taker." Though it did help that they did get a hefty contract from MS to use their services and also got some cash for exclusivity. That money alone may have played a big part in keeping them afloat.

He recognized that success in phones was no longer about just the phone OS, but about entire ecosystems. He knew that Meego had no chance because of this, no matter how good it may have been. It wasn't tied to an existing ecosystem, and building one would have been a monumental task. There is no way that a company like Nokia could have done it.

For the low end, focusing on one OS for one set of devices (Asha) helped to streamline everything. That reduced costs for Nokia and allowed them to focus on creating one line of good products there.
    Mach_E likes this.
    11-08-2013 03:13 PM
    Elop, for me, is the typical modern CEO, i.e. he doesn't give a **** which company he is running/which products he makes. Only applies accounting strategies, sees through the investor's glasses. No interest in the brand/product/customer. He does not show passion for what he does. His choices are unemotional, and often short-termists. Far from a visionary.
    I disliked what he did to Nokia, which he managed to ultimately kill.
    techiez and WP8fan like this.
    11-08-2013 03:56 PM
    if Elop put this out, he is just trying, perhaps, to look good to the anti-Bing, ant-xboX boar members, if there are really such people. Maybe Mobile Nations or wpCentraL will let us know, again the projections on losses or spinoff values associated with the 2 units?
    11-08-2013 04:48 PM
    Does anyone else think this smells a bit fishy? Like someone is eliminating elop from the list? Or using him to test the water? Seems an odd statement for a company that has just turned to being a device and services company?
    snowmutt likes this.
    11-08-2013 04:50 PM
    Could Elop even do this, though? The Wii U isn't really getting hardly any sales, PC gaming isn't THAT popular. Wouldn't that give Sony a monopoly in the console market, which could lead to them bleeding their customers dry?

Wouldn't getting rid of Bing do the same with google?
    11-08-2013 05:08 PM
    Elop took a company Nokia that was #1 in smartphone sales to less than having 1 of the market. He was a terrible CEO. Nokia was sold for pennies on the dollar verses what they were worth when he took over. He didn't only get on a burning platform, but he stuck holes in it and sunk it instead of putting out the fire.

techiez likes this.
    11-08-2013 06:12 PM
    Elop took a company Nokia that was #1 in smartphone sales to less than having 1 of the market. He was a terrible CEO. Nokia was sold for pennies on the dollar verses what they were worth when he took over. He didn't only get on a burning platform, but he stuck holes in it and sunk it instead of putting out the fire.

LoLoLoLoL

So much wrong in this post.
    11-08-2013 06:18 PM
    Keep in mind that the board chooses the CEO.

They have already stated that they are looking for someone to continue the path of what has already been started by Ballmer: the transition to devices and services and restructuring of departments to create a more streamlined and agile company.

Do people really believe that the board would put someone on the short list if they were against what they have already stated they are looking for? Ridiculous.
    11-08-2013 06:21 PM
132 1234 ...