Elop could kill Bing and sell Xbox if he's made CEO

alv3st3r

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
I wasn't after any argument at all, just wanted to point it out in relation to perhaps selling off the Xbox side of things :) I should have perhaps written it a little clearer to mean more on the financial side of things rather than the sales.

It was just a figure of speech. I didn't mean anything rude by that. I should have ended my last response to you with an emoticon. :grin:

kbilly70

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Oppo ******

Elop is a Trojan horse. He has been planted there by Nokia to devalue MSFT and then finally Nokia will buy them out.

From the comments of the verge article. Brilliant!

dznk

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
Oppo ******

Elop is a Trojan horse. He has been planted there by Nokia to devalue MSFT and then finally Nokia will buy them out.

From the comments of the verge article. Brilliant!

Haha, that's a good one. Elop the double agent :grin:

ether813

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
No way i see Microsoft selling Xbox anytime soon. To me their best course of action is the one they are taking with making sure everything is integrated, i just think that they arent doing it fast enough. Xbox Live should be Microsoft's version of Itunes. Stop trying to charge that outrageous amount for Xbox Music (my opinion) and get the ball rolling on apps that i have on windows 8 pc should transfer to my xbox and my windows phones and surface tablet already. Maybe start with what use to be xbox arcade games or something that is simple across all formats.

tcedwards

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Bing is integrated, and with google being douches Bing is the only alt (yahoo I know, dnt care for it) Bing is getting bigger, and now that I'm google free I actually prefer it.

If MS sells Xbox, I will just give up.

It seems like ppl are always trying to put MS down. Every website is bias against them, two devices with the exact same specs and pricing, cnet would give the apple a 10, android a 8, and windows a -1. Everyone only focuses on MS downfalls, what their missing, what they need, never what they are doing good and right. But on other phones its just the opposite. (for example winrt is a broke os because of no desttop mode, when ios and android dnt have it and never will, but they aren't broken at all) xbone is another example but I wnt get into that

I have a feeling all this is bs, and its just a bs rumor made up by ppl who dnt want WP,w8,winrt, Bing, and Xbox to succeed

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
So basically, this happened

Dear Mr. Elop,
A report has just surfaced via Bloomberg that if you were to be CEO of Microsoft, that you could kill Xbox and Bing, because they're not profitable.
I would like to say that I hope this is not true and strongly ask you not to do this. Microsoft needs Xbox to stay "hip" with consumers and Bing for integration to easily search through their devices.
According to the article, you want to focus on enterprise, which might work short term, but in the days of "Bring your own device" as well as UNIX taking over back-end servers, Microsoft can't rely solely on enterprise. What the Surfaces and 2-in-1's are doing are perfect as they offer both business and consumer experiences in one package. Push that if you want to work on enterprise, but don't gut the rest of the company for a short term venture.
I understand the idea of cross-platform office, but office is a major selling point for a windows computer. I have a Surface 2 for school because its office was superior to the iPad for school. If it loses that advantage, there's one less reason to buy a windows tablet. I realize office is profitable, but Microsoft can't rely too much on Office, which sounds like the only real money maker in the long term since (as stated earlier) its losing the device and server wars.
Thank you for taking the time to read this and I hope you reconsider your decisions.
Thanks,
[my name]

Then Elop replied:

Thanks for the note ? best not to believe everything you read in the press!

Regards,

Stephen

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
In other totally legit news...

Elop will turn MS Access into MS Access Holllywood in hopes of attracting a wider audience.

He's going to dump the "cloud" strategy and go with the "stars" strategy because they're much higher than clouds.

In exchange for putting a full-powered version of MS Office on the iPad, MS will attempt to get the rights to license the iPad name... then renaming all of the Surface tablets to "iPad Wide" and suddenly see all the bloggers praise the exact same product.

He will move MS headquarters to Finland because it's pretty nice there.

Office will be made for Android with the caveat that all versions of Office on Android will be Trojan Horses to destroy Android.

Nobody at MS will be allowed to own puppies or kittens.

Internet Explorer will be discontinued before the internet "fad" goes out of style.

And last, but not least, he's going to take candy away from babies. Babies!!

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Re: Danger of a breakup: Elop may kill Bing n Sell xbox

It's all speculation at this point. I doubt they would add Google since they are a competitor.

They wouldn't be as much of a competitor if Bing was cut. I think having Elop being CEO is a horrible idea. He was a horrible CEO at Nokia.

Sent from my LG-D801 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

Oliver Newell

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
It is in a sense, but requires a paid subscription to one of the the main Office 365 suites. It's not an app by itself that you can just purchase on it's own.

I cannot see Bing being sold. Xbox... maybe, it doesn't earn them a lot of money .

XBOX is probably the biggest money maker Microsoft has, and like people have been saying, Bing is weaved into ever single Microsoft device and service.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Some investors and analysts have previously called for the software giant to split off its Xbox business and give up on search. Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen appears to feel the same way. Allen?s $15 billion asset manager, Paul Ghaffari, revealed recently that Bing and Xbox have been distractions for Microsoft. "My view is there are some parts of that operation they should probably spin out, get rid of, to focus on the enterprise and focus on the cloud." Nomura analyst Rick Sherlund claims Microsoft?s financial earnings could be boosted by 40 percent in fiscal 2015 if the company sold its Bing and Xbox businesses.

This is pretty much where this type of notion is originating from. Investors and analysts want this to happen just so stock prices would get a quick boost from the profit made by a sell off of XBox. I'm sure a guy like Paul Allen has boat loads of Microsoft stocks so it's no secret why he wants it to happen, and the same goes for other big time investors.

It won't make MS into a better company, it will just drive up share prices for a year or two. Then after that the investors will tell MS to start expanding their business again to increase profits.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Re: Danger of a breakup: Elop may kill Bing n Sell xbox

They wouldn't be as much of a competitor if Bing was cut. I think having Elop being CEO is a horrible idea. He was a horrible CEO at Nokia.

Sent from my LG-D801 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

I thought he was fantastic at Nokia.

The fact that Nokia is seen as relevant now is huge. They were on their way to being forgotten in the mobile space.

I have a feeling that when he was hired, the board of directors already has a grand plan of how they were going to end up focusing on certain businesses and leave the mobile device market. They just needed someone who could stop the hemorrhaging and make it look like their devices division had a future so that it could be sold.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
XBOX is probably the biggest money maker Microsoft has, and like people have been saying, Bing is weaved into ever single Microsoft device and service.

Not even close. XBOX doesn't make all that much money. Especially compared to the heavy hitters like MS Office, Windows, or even Azure.

XBOX is a play for the future. It always has been. Really long-term thinking.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro