Elop could kill Bing and sell Xbox if he's made CEO

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Re: Danger of a breakup: Elop may kill Bing n Sell xbox

I thought he was fantastic at Nokia.

The fact that Nokia is seen as relevant now is huge. They were on their way to being forgotten in the mobile space.

I have a feeling that when he was hired, the board of directors already has a grand plan of how they were going to end up focusing on certain businesses and leave the mobile device market. They just needed someone who could stop the hemorrhaging and make it look like their devices division had a future so that it could be sold.

they were working with Intel on meego, N9 was a gr8 device and so was N950 which was killed before the launch, whether or not Nokia would have been more succesful with android is debatable but yes Nokia have done good job with WP, and heard elop did bring in some change to company's DNA, cutdown decision making times etc, but he has his share of worng decisions,
Like killing N950 and Meltemi, Meltemi was supposed to strengthen feature phones further and plug the lower end gap which WP couldnt reach(I mean devices much more cheaper than L520, WP cant run on those phone and hence Nokia was focussed on Meltemi), Elop seems to be less of a risk taker and stick to which ever is more safe, this thinking is what will make any company obsolete eventually.

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site

They wouldn't be as much of a competitor if Bing was cut. I think having Elop being CEO is a horrible idea. He was a horrible CEO at Nokia.

Sent from my LG-D801 using WPCentral Forums mobile app
and in an alternate world, elop is made CEO of Ms and bing is killed, google crushes rest of the market and becomes dominant further without a competition and eventually Google buysout MS and Elop joins google.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site

they were working with Intel on meego, N9 was a gr8 device and so was N950 which was killed before the launch, whether or not Nokia would have been more succesful with android is debatable but yes Nokia have done good job with WP, and heard elop did bring in some change to company's DNA, cutdown decision making times etc, but he has his share of worng decisions,
Like killing N950 and Meltemi, Meltemi was supposed to strengthen feature phones further and plug the lower end gap which WP couldnt reach(I mean devices much more cheaper than L520, WP cant run on those phone and hence Nokia was focussed on Meltemi), Elop seems to be less of a risk taker and stick to which ever is more safe, this thinking is what will make any company obsolete eventually.

Going "all in" to WP isn't exactly being "less of a risk taker." Though it did help that they did get a hefty contract from MS to use their services and also got some cash for exclusivity. That money alone may have played a big part in keeping them afloat.

He recognized that success in phones was no longer about just the phone OS, but about entire ecosystems. He knew that Meego had no chance because of this, no matter how good it may have been. It wasn't tied to an existing ecosystem, and building one would have been a monumental task. There is no way that a company like Nokia could have done it.

For the low end, focusing on one OS for one set of devices (Asha) helped to streamline everything. That reduced costs for Nokia and allowed them to focus on creating one line of good products there.

coolraoul

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Elop, for me, is the typical modern CEO, i.e. he doesn't give a **** which company he is running/which products he makes. Only applies accounting strategies, sees through the investor's glasses. No interest in the brand/product/customer. He does not show passion for what he does. His choices are unemotional, and often short-termists. Far from a visionary.
I disliked what he did to Nokia, which he managed to ultimately kill.

simcha18

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
if Elop put this out, he is just trying, perhaps, to look good to the anti-Bing, ant-xboX boar members, if there are really such people. Maybe Mobile Nations or wpCentraL will let us know, again the projections on losses or spinoff values associated with the 2 units?

Kellzea

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone else think this smells a bit fishy? Like someone is eliminating elop from the list? Or using him to test the water? Seems an odd statement for a company that has just turned to being a device and services company?

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Could Elop even do this, though? The Wii U isn't really getting hardly any sales, PC gaming isn't THAT popular. Wouldn't that give Sony a monopoly in the console market, which could lead to them bleeding their customers dry?

Wouldn't getting rid of Bing do the same with google?

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Elop took a company Nokia that was #1 in smartphone sales to less than having 1? of the market. He was a terrible CEO. Nokia was sold for pennies on the dollar verses what they were worth when he took over. He didn't only get on a burning platform, but he stuck holes in it and sunk it instead of putting out the fire.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Elop took a company Nokia that was #1 in smartphone sales to less than having 1? of the market. He was a terrible CEO. Nokia was sold for pennies on the dollar verses what they were worth when he took over. He didn't only get on a burning platform, but he stuck holes in it and sunk it instead of putting out the fire.

LoLoLoLoL

So much wrong in this post.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Keep in mind that the board chooses the CEO.

They have already stated that they are looking for someone to continue the path of what has already been started by Ballmer: the transition to devices and services and restructuring of departments to create a more streamlined and agile company.

Do people really believe that the board would put someone on the short list if they were against what they have already stated they are looking for? Ridiculous.

Awhispersecho

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Already posted this elsewhere but..I don't believe this "report" for a second. I would bet this "rumor" was put out there by the investors and analysts that want Mulally to get the job. They are the ones that want Bing and Xbox to be sold off and Mulally is the one that would get that done for them. So, they create a rumor, spread it to the media and try to create negative opinion of Elop. It's politics, that's all it is.

Bing and Xbox are more integrated into everything MS is doing than they ever have been. Bing is gaining more marketshare slowly and I would imagine that the "Here" services will be integrated into it after the buyout is complete and Xbox is currently the only division of MS that the general public has a favorable opinion of. Would be suicide to get rid of either of these 2 services and would negate the only real reasons for someone to choose any Windows products over Apple or Android at this point.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
People saying this might make sense don't understand the importance of these two businesses. Bing is more than a search engine. Xbox is more than a console. Both should be instrumental in the consumer-facing future of Windows and Windows Phone.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
LoL. Got this through Shaw's twitter account.

“We appreciate Bloomberg’s foray into fiction and look forward to future episodes,” said Frank Shaw, a spokesman for Microsoft.

Oliver Newell

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Not even close. XBOX doesn't make all that much money. Especially compared to the heavy hitters like MS Office, Windows, or even Azure.

XBOX is a play for the future. It always has been. Really long-term thinking.

Stop arguing with everyone on here. No, XBOX is a huge money maker for MS and like I said probably their most profitable sector. You have the adverts which come in the dashboard which in itself makes them a lot of money, you have the games and developers, the consoles themselves and all the additional hardware you can buy for them and lets not forget XBOX live.

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Stop arguing with everyone on here. No, XBOX is a huge money maker for MS and like I said probably their most profitable sector. You have the adverts which come in the dashboard which in itself makes them a lot of money, you have the games and developers, the consoles themselves and all the additional hardware you can buy for them and lets not forget XBOX live.

Any proof?

All consoles Xboxes, PlayStations & the Wii U are sold at a loss.

Weapons of Mass Disruption #3: How and Why Consoles Will Die
Analyst claims Microsoft's Xbox business loses billions each year - Gameplanet Australia

dznk

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site

Sorry Oliver, but Xbox is the opposite of what you said. It's not a huge money maker at all. See my post here where I explained it earlier. Just because an item sells millions doesn't mean it earns you a lot of money. Microsofts money making side of their business is the Enterprise and Office stuff by a long way, they eclipse anything Xbox does Income wise. That's why you hear investors talk about selling them off, they just look at the profit numbers etc not through the eyes of users and people who have a long term plan for the products. Like I also said earlier, I'm not posting this to start a heated debate or downplay the Xbox, but it seems some are unaware of where Microsoft earns most of it's money, which is understandable if you don't look at their financial reports and articles etc.

I do agree with most people on here that the Xbox is becoming more and more integrated with Microsofts other services, same with Bing being integrated into more stuff. And in my opinion both are going in the right direction. I wouldn't want either to be sold off... I use and like both of them :)

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Sorry Oliver, but Xbox is the opposite of what you said. It's not a huge money maker at all. See my post here where I explained it earlier. Just because an item sells millions doesn't mean it earns you a lot of money. Microsofts money making side of their business is the Enterprise and Office stuff by a long way, they eclipse anything Xbox does Income wise. That's why you hear investors talk about selling them off, they just look at the profit numbers etc not through the eyes of users and people who have a long term plan for the products. Like I also said earlier, I'm not posting this to start a heated debate or downplay the Xbox, but it seems some are unaware of where Microsoft earns most of it's money, which is understandable if you don't look at their financial reports and articles etc.

I do agree with most people on here that the Xbox is becoming more and more integrated with Microsofts other services, same with Bing being integrated into more stuff. And in my opinion both are going in the right direction. I wouldn't want either to be sold off... I use and like both of them :)

While I agree that right now (especially at launch) that the Xbox isn't a money maker, it could be. COULD. They could make Xbox music a great experience and that could take music sales from google play and iTunes, they could do the same with Xbox video. Hell, they could produce their own content with their own exclusives. This is the reason I don't want them to sell the Xbox division, it has tons of potential to be an all in one entertainment system. Why get a smart tv if your Xbox does the same thing? Idk, I hope whoever the next CEO is looks past the current sales and sees the potential for the future.

dznk

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
While I agree that right now (especially at launch) that the Xbox isn't a money maker, it could be. COULD. They could make Xbox music a great experience and that could take music sales from google play and iTunes, they could do the same with Xbox video. Hell, they could produce their own content with their own exclusives. This is the reason I don't want them to sell the Xbox division, it has tons of potential to be an all in one entertainment system. Why get a smart tv if your Xbox does the same thing? Idk, I hope whoever the next CEO is looks past the current sales and sees the potential for the future.
Yep I do too. I really don't think selling these two off will happen. Like you I think the Xbox has great potential as well. Microsoft are not stupid, I would think they have a long term plan with Xbox, which is why they have put more non-gaming features into the Xbox One. Some people see this as a downside, I see it as a positive thing going forward. If they keep adding more content and software/media features to the console as time goes on, I think it will work out very well in the long run.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon