Elop could kill Bing and sell Xbox if he's made CEO

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I do remember, but those were feature phones. Nokia didn't have many smartphones here. Palms and BlackBerrys were the popular smartphones in the early smartphone era.

I remember when the term "BlackBerry" was interchangeable with "smartphone", similar to how "Google" is synonymous with "search online" now (OK, maybe not so much for people on this forum... :eek:rly:). I remember one time someone asked if I had a BlackBerry, and I said that I have a Windows Mobile phone. When I explained what it was, I think he thought it still qualified as a BlackBerry since it was a smartphone!

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I do remember, but those were feature phones. Nokia didn't have many smartphones here. Palms and BlackBerrys were the popular smartphones in the early smartphone era.

There was that weird transition to smartphones. My first smartphone was a Nokia, but by the time that contract was over I couldn't find any Nokia's at AT&T.

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Actually, I don't remember the Ngage series, but I'm from the US, and Nokia never had a big presence here.

Ngage was a series of gaming phone, phones like ngage QD was more like phone / handheld consoles.

Ngage was not popular in US as heard but sales in India & China were impressive.
705191-n_gage_qd_front_1.jpg

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
There was that weird transition to smartphones. My first smartphone was a Nokia, but by the time that contract was over I couldn't find any Nokia's at AT&T.

I had the E62 for 3 years and then the E71 briefly (less than a month). I don't think AT&T had anything after the E71 until the Lumia 900.

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I think at this point many people already have other places where they buy their music and movies (or stream their music and movies). I never even heard of the Zune Store until I joined this forum. I never owned a Zune, nor knew anybody who owned a Zune. Everyone either had iPods or some other MP3 players. I had a Sandisk MP3 player. I didn't like iTunes, so I turned to eMusic and Amazon.com for my MP3s. I've since cancelled my eMusic subscription, but I still use Amazon.com to purchase music.

I've never been one to buy movies, but I've been a member of Netflix before Netflix even offered streaming, and I might join Amazon Prime for more movies/TV shows (since it would also get me free shipping on products from Amazon.com).

Since I never had any interest in games, Xbox (and its music/movies) never appealed to me. I already had sources for music and movies, plus I like Amazon.com anyway for regular shopping.

I think that's the main issue Microsoft is facing with Xbox music and movies. How do they get someone like me to switch to their service? What can Xbox music/movies offer to someone like me who isn't a gamer that is better or cheaper than Netflix or Amazon.com? I can see where a lot of people, even those who don't use iTunes, already have sources of movies/music and there isn't anything offered by Xbox Music/Movies that is better than what they already use.
then Ms should do something about it! I use an iPod but I also liked streaming from Xbox music.and since I have my phone on me more than my than my iPod I would not mind the switch! And Ms can make Xbox music awesome and make money. And if I could stream movies too ! I'll be able to use my WP for everything........ I'm down with that!

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
then Ms should do something about it! I use an iPod but I also liked streaming from Xbox music.and since I have my phone on me more than my than my iPod I would not mind the switch! And Ms can make Xbox music awesome and make money. And if I could stream movies too ! I'll be able to use my WP for everything........ I'm down with that!
I think paid music streaming services have pretty much saturated the market. There are so many free streaming options that it's hard for paid options to even get subscribers.

Bee Mon

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
One of my friends had a co-worker who had a Zune, but I never met that person. That's the only person with a Zune that even my family/friends knew. Nobody I personally knew had a Zune.

I love my Zunes. It was never released in Asia so they had be shipped over from the US.
I still use them as no smartphone can store as much as my 120GB Zune or
be as small and slim as my Zune HD. Plus their build and sound quality is excellent.
My Zune HD survived nearly an hour in a washing machine.

WP_20131110_004.jpg

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
I wuld also like to see a xbox phone, remember the Nokia Ngage series. this should be on similar lines, I dont understand what happened to risk taking, everybody is so scared of investors. this would only lead to companies become obsolete before they know it.

I suggested an xbox phone on this forum a few months ago. The reaction was shockingly negative. Are people coming round to the idea now?

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I think paid music streaming services have pretty much saturated the market. There are so many free streaming options that it's hard for paid options to even get subscribers.
yes there's alot but from what I read Xbox music carries the most tracks .pandora almost 1 million songs Iheart about the same but I tried Xbox music and it was the best.i found every song I wanted and as a stereo shop manager in my truck via Bluetooth it sounded the best. Its expensive but im also cheap and still considering the 100$ a year for Xmas and im cheap!

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
yes there's alot but from what I read Xbox music carries the most tracks .pandora almost 1 million songs Iheart about the same but I tried Xbox music and it was the best.i found every song I wanted and as a stereo shop manager in my truck via Bluetooth it sounded the best. Its expensive but im also cheap and still considering the 100$ a year for Xmas and im cheap!

When will Microsoft release xbox music for other platforms? I need Windows, iOS, Android and Linux. Spotify has native clients for all of these.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I

edited so I could fit more within the app.

I think that's the main issue Microsoft is facing with Xbox music and movies. How do they get someone like me to switch to their service? What can Xbox music/movies offer to someone like me who isn't a gamer that is better or cheaper than Netflix or Amazon.com? I can see where a lot of people, even those who don't use iTunes, already have sources of movies/music and there isn't anything offered by Xbox Music/Movies that is better than what they already use.

I generally don't like to play armchair CEO, and I'm not privy to the inner workings of Microsoft so I won't say what is and what isn't possible, but there are a bunch of real world things I've noticed that could definitely help moving Xbox music and video forward.

Well, first off, one thing that could help is that they advertise the service. Seriously, until I joined this forum, I knew this stuff existed, but I didn't know about what it did or even the Xbox music pass. Once I got here, I thought "that sounds cool" and now I subscribe. I suspect a lot of people are in this boat. They realize its there, but they don't know the benefits it gives you. Even if its not that important, advertise it. Did you know that Xbox music has 30 million songs while iTunes only has 28? I didn't until I looked it up, but I guarantee that if they ran a commercial with something like "try the new Xbox music, now with a larger library than iTunes", that would get peoples attention. I know this because I did the same with my friend. I was looking it up and I said "dude, look at this, did you know that Xbox music had more than iTunes?" and his reaction was "no, I didn't think anything had more than iTunes."

Another thing that I've noticed is that 2 of my friends who bought an android recently got free google play streaming (exact same functionality as Xbox music) and after a month of it for free, they're now yearly subscribing because they love it. They could do more such as giving away a full month on the Xbox instead of just 15 songs total.

Really, it all comes down to awareness. I see people bypassing the start screen and going into iTunes while imo a much better experience is right there as a clean metro app. MAYBE if they clean up the app, offer it free for 3 months with any windows 8 PC or surface, and make people aware, they could do a lot of help for Xbox music.

Last edited:

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I generally don't like to play armchair CEO, and I'm not privy to the inner workings of Microsoft so I won't say what is and what isn't possible, but there are a bunch of real world things I've noticed that could definitely help moving Xbox music and video forward.

Well, first off, one thing that could help is that they advertise the service. Seriously, until I joined this forum, I knew this stuff existed, but I didn't know about what it did or even the Xbox music pass. Once I got here, I thought "that sounds cool" and now I subscribe. I suspect a lot of people are in this boat. They realize its there, but they don't know the benefits. It gives you. Even if its not that important, advertise it. Did you know that Xbox music has 30 million songs while iTunes only has 28? I didn't until I looked it up, but I guarantee that if they ran a commercial with something like "try the new Xbox music, now with a larger library than iTunes", that would get peoples attention. I know this because I did the same with my friend. I was looking it up and I said "dude, look at this, did you know that Xbox music had more than iTunes?" and his reaction was "no, I didn't think anything had more than iTunes."

Another thing that I've noticed is that 2 of my friends who bought an android recently got free google play streaming (exact same functionality as Xbox music) and after a month of it for free, they're now yearly subscribing because they love it. They could do more such as giving away a full month on the Xbox instead of just 15 songs total.

Really, it all comes down to awareness. I see people bypassing the start screen and going into iTunes while imo a much better experience is right there as a clean metro app. MAYBE if they clean up the app, offer it free for 3 months with any windows 8 PC or surface, and make people aware, they could do a lot of help for Xbox music.

MS needs to publicize/advertise xbox in rest of the world as well, I know MS spends crazy money on ads in US but not outside let it expand and see if start to earn more money if still not then shut it down.

seelani

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
This is one interesting thread. Don't mind me adding on.
First off, I'm not the only one here who has noticed how almost every media outlet has shoveled s**t in MSFT face recently for their products and even their acquisition of Nokia. I'm not going to believe everything that's put out on the papers. No board will sit idly by while the CEO starts to dismantle a company piece by piece. I choose to believe Elop isn't an uncaring man towards his products. So far he is the only CEO i know who makes an effort to reply to e-mails he receives from consumers (it could be a team of interns replying on his behalf for all we know), and there is action following the reply, and usually it is something pleasantly surprising.
The next thing I really hope the next CEO can get done at MSFT is spank every departments *** and get them focused on a common vision/goal. It's kinda silly to see the main consumer products being in disarray of one another. Office, Win 8, WP8, Xbox, Skype etc. Everything comes from MSFT but not of these products want to support one another. It's a bit like lets make a badass phone, then Skype is like um sorry I know I should support you first, but yeah the market is in Android and iOS so wait a while we'll get back to you when the WP8 department has something to show. Or the marketing swings into full-gear "hey guys, check out this new badass phone that lets you play a part of your game on your xbox! its so damn immersive yeah!" and the xbox team and the wp8 teams are like wait what we aren't making any of these promises. Devices and services is the in thing right? Create awesome devices that your services can work well with before supporting other platforms. You can't be good at everything, but you can be good at the things you do.
Finally hope the new CEO is an earthling and understands there are 6 continents on earth (not including Antarctica). I know America is your home ground and you want to see your devices and services succeed there. But please for the love of god, stop having so much exclusive content on devices. Stop releasing products in America first to test waters before releasing it to the world, especially if the device/service isn't ready. Pushing something out just because your competitor is doing so is plain childish. They have a complete product that will earn money, while MSFT has to sit back and wonder why the world's press is shoveling s**t in your face for putting out a product that cannot perform and has customer dissatisfaction linked to it.
Let's not play catch up anymore lets innovate and lets do it right.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb