The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
11-12-2013 03:34 PM
38 12
tools
    Recent leaks of the latest version of the Blackberry OS, version 10.2.1, includes a new version of the Blackberry Runtime for Android which removes much of the restrictions which have stopped Android apps from running reliably on Blackberry 10 handsets, mainly those surrounding the Google Service Framework. There are also rumours that the OS will ship with the Google Play Store, allowing Blackberry 10 phones to run all million Blackberry 10 apps.

img_00000401.png.jpg

Access to Google Play is tightly controlled by Google, and they only include it with handsets that comply with the OHA license restrictions, and that usually means including the whole suite of Google Apps, including the Gmail app for example.

If Blackberry does ship with Google Play it can only mean Google has made a special concession for Blackberry, and the only reason to do this would be to keep the 4th smartphone player alive, and thereby impeding the progress of Windows Phone, especially in business.

Google Plays presence on Blackberry 10 is not confirmed yet, but if it does show up, and Blackberry gains the support of Google, do you think there is a good chance the OS will undermine Windows Phones momentum?

Source: WMPU
    Editguy1900 likes this.
    11-09-2013 03:03 PM
    Blackberry doesn't have an ecosystem to offer. They are likely paying GOOG dearly for access to theirs.
    11-09-2013 06:02 PM
    Yes, everyone who ≠ Microsoft is conspiring against Windows Phone.
    ohgood likes this.
    11-09-2013 06:19 PM
    Some agendas are obvious, some aren't, some get easier and easier to spot.
    Editguy1900 and Muessig like this.
    11-09-2013 08:12 PM
    Even such moves can't possibly save BlackBerry at this point.
    11-09-2013 08:47 PM
    I wonder would this give MS more ammunition for anti-trust laws. Considering Blackberry 10 doesn't have as many users as WP and Google is obviously glad to make BB devices accessible to Googles services.
    11-09-2013 08:54 PM
    I don't see the big deal. BB is putting Android apps on their devices because they can, hardware-wise. Even the PlayBook could run Android apps by converting APKs to BAR. If MS is so worried about a competitor overtaking them, the solution is simple: put the apps out there. If this was to pass, the most affected would be iOS since the enterprise sector has moved to them after the demise of BlackBerry. Either way, I don't see it happening because Open Source and enterprise are mutually exclusive.
    Etios, ohgood and Duppy Kankera1 like this.
    11-09-2013 09:16 PM
    With the security issues/malware plaguing Android, enterprises will surely give them a miss
    11-09-2013 10:10 PM
    I don't see the big deal. BB is putting Android apps on their devices because they can, hardware-wise. Even the PlayBook could run Android apps by converting APKs to BAR. If MS is so worried about a competitor overtaking them, the solution is simple: put the apps out there. If this was to pass, the most affected would be iOS since the enterprise sector has moved to them after the demise of BlackBerry. Either way, I don't see it happening because Open Source and enterprise are mutually exclusive.
    Sounds great, except that if some companies don't wanna develop apps for WP8 they just won't. I'm sure Microsoft would love to have Sirius XM land in their store, but if Sirius XM refuses to develop the app there's only so much MS can do.
    Duppy Kankera1 likes this.
    11-10-2013 06:43 AM
    Sounds great, except that if some companies don't wanna develop apps for WP8 they just won't. I'm sure Microsoft would love to have Sirius XM land in their store, but if Sirius XM refuses to develop the app there's only so much MS can do.
    Microsoft could include an Android runtime in WP.
    ohgood likes this.
    11-10-2013 07:03 AM
    I don't see the fuss over "official" apps. As long as it works and has the proper feature set, I could care less if it was developed by Honey BooBoo.
    Etios and tian.s like this.
    11-10-2013 12:48 PM
    Microsoft could include an Android runtime in WP.
    You got a better chance of getting pregnant by the tooth fairy.
    dznk, wapoz, Muessig and 1 others like this.
    11-10-2013 12:49 PM
    I don't see the fuss over "official" apps. As long as it works and has the proper feature set, I could care less if it was developed by Honey BooBoo.
    Again I agree with you. But you saw all the issues that came up between for instance Instagram and the third party apps that were trying to replace it. Features, content and other things become wrapped up in legal disputes between these corporations.
    11-10-2013 12:57 PM
    Again I agree with you. But you saw all the issues that came up between for instance Instagram and the third party apps that were trying to replace it. Features, content and other things become wrapped up in legal disputes between these corporations.
    Develop an alternative. When BB and Windows Mobile had crappy browsers, Opera came to the rescue. When MS wouldn't offer Office Mobile on PalmOS, Documents To Go was arguably better. The list is endless and the very situation you speak of gave birth to the 3rd party developer.
    11-10-2013 01:10 PM
    By the way, those are some adorable little ones. You are a blessed person.
    snowmutt and Blkacesvf41 like this.
    11-10-2013 01:11 PM
    By the way, those are some adorable little ones. You are a blessed person.
    Thanks for saying that! They can be a handful but we love them to death!
    snowmutt likes this.
    11-10-2013 01:15 PM
    Thanks for saying that! They can be a handful but we love them to death!
    I feel your pain. Sometimes you want to kick them and kiss them at the same time. :-)
    snowmutt likes this.
    11-10-2013 01:17 PM
    If anything, google would pay blackberry to not sell to Microsoft. This I do believe is going on as we speak. We still don't see anything from the driving app Waze. I would be surprised if it ever came to the platform and if it does, it would be so crippled, it won't be work having.
    11-10-2013 04:04 PM
    You got a better chance of getting pregnant by the tooth fairy.
    I'm sorry? Do you think it's a bad idea?
    11-10-2013 04:12 PM
    I think this is just the best way BB can keep it's nose above water. Getting access to the Android apps is a good move on their part. It has taken WP 3 long years to get enough apps to be competitive, and certainly are still fighting to get even. BlackBerry has cash researves, but not the deep pockets of MS to absorb those kinds of delays in getting BB10 up to snuff as far as the consumer market.

WP will compete on it's own merits, not the failure of BB. Most BB users that have left have adopted Apple products, with Android and WP getting smaller groups of those defectors.

WP has grown due to new users to smart phones, explaining why it has grown slower in the US then in other markets. In the US, the smartphone saturation was already pretty high, and they were on other platforms already. WP will need to convince users of other OS's to switch.

BB10 is facing the same issues. I am no longer buying BB07 users are automatically switching over. The numbers show otherwise. This move, if accurate, is about BB surviving, not WP being beaten, in my opinion.
    11-10-2013 04:17 PM
    Microsoft should buy BlackBerry. Put WP8 on their phones and port Blackerry apps to WP8 lol.
    11-10-2013 04:30 PM
    I'm sorry? Do you think it's a bad idea?
    Hardware incompatibility aside, I just think the chances of that ever happening are slim to none. With slim being out of town at the moment.
    snowmutt likes this.
    11-10-2013 04:55 PM
    Its a very bad idea no reason to develop for WP if so.
    WP doesnt need android apps.
    11-11-2013 02:21 AM
    Its a very bad idea no reason to develop for WP if so.
    WP doesnt need android apps.
    With all due respect, I see many complaints here about WP missing apps compared to iOS and Android. This would be one way to solve that.
    Now, of course, it isn't going to happen (unless MS get a CEO capable of making radical decisions). But from a customer's point of view, wouldn't it be a good thing?
    BTW, I don't see why hardware compatibility would be a problem. WP phones use the same chipsets as Android phones. Any issues with controls could be dealt with using softkeys, as on many Android devices.
    Last edited by anony_mouse; 11-11-2013 at 06:51 AM. Reason: Grammar
    11-11-2013 06:50 AM
    If anything, google would pay blackberry to not sell to Microsoft. This I do believe is going on as we speak. We still don't see anything from the driving app Waze. I would be surprised if it ever came to the platform and if it does, it would be so crippled, it won't be work having.

Waze is coming soon. They have sent a mail to their beta testers saying that they are in the process to finally publish the app in store and its the last beta, testers will have.
    11-11-2013 08:18 AM
38 12