dznk

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
I actually thought about this myself not long ago. I've had my 920 for about 2 months and have not had to do an update to the maps yet after updating them the day I got the phone. This is a guess here, but I'm going to say 3-4 times a year. My Garmin Nuvi which I use in the car has free lifetime maps. Garmin use Navteq (Nokia) for their maps. This gets 4 map updates per year (so a new map every 3 months). Whether the phones get the same cycle of updates per year, like I said I'm not sure, but I would say it would be similar.

I do believe the HERE maps now have incremental updates as well, so you don't download a whole map when updating. The updates will just add/remove roads, so the updates will be a much smaller size to download.

Schnuffi

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
Oh I did not think that was possible I thought was like a giant picture and you would have to update the whole thing. But suppose it could be like a grid and you only replace the relevant ones.:smile:

dznk

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
Yeah it's quite clever really. Apparently it's due to Nokia introducing vector based maps on the phones. Here's an interesting blog post from Nokia about it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss