Microsoft working on own-branded phone even before the Nokia deal completes

alv3st3r

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
In a report in DNAIndia an anonymous Microsoft exec confirmed Microsoft is planning to launch its own Microsoft-branded Windows phone soon.

Microsoft Director Vineet Durani of the Windows Phone Business Group confirmed the existence of such a project, saying, “We are waiting for regulatory clearances on the Nokia deal to merge the devices and hardware business, with Microsoft’s software business. The Microsoft-branded phone is under review, but in the meanwhile we continue to work with our partners like Huawei, Samsung and HTC for Windows OS handsets.”

Microsoft’s purchase of Nokia’s handset business will only complete some time in Q1 2014 if everything goes smoothly, and according to reports the two companies are prohibited from working together as if the deal is already done, suggesting the new Microsoft handset is a solo project reminiscent of the Surface.

It is difficult to know how well such a handset will perform, with the Surface blighted by simply being markedly overpriced for its then niche in the market, resulting in a $900 million write down and suggesting Microsoft does not have the best grasp or understanding of the mobility market, unlike Nokia.

Anshul Gupta, principle research analyst at Gartner said he expected this to change with the Nokia acquisition.

“While it is difficult to comment on how Microsoft would perform with its own branded handset, considering that we haven’t seen much from them as a hardware player. By taking over Nokia, they will gain the device assets and manufacturing capabilities of an experienced global player, that puts them on par with other global players, and therefore in a better place than they were earlier.”

If the handset ships before the deal is complete it would presumably not carry the Lumia brand, and will likely be the long-rumoured Surface phone.

Source: DNA India

IceCrush

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Direct phone from Microsoft with firmware and OS updates directly without any carrier interference? I will buy one! Would be missing the nokia collection though..

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
In a report in DNAIndia an anonymous Microsoft exec confirmed Microsoft is planning to launch its own Microsoft-branded Windows phone soon.

Microsoft Director Vineet Durani of the Windows Phone Business Group confirmed the existence of such a project, <snipped>

Not very anonymous. I can imagine our friend will be getting a nasty call from Seattle...

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hm...I wonder if this really is something, but I do have my doubts. But to be honest, I would rather buy a Windows Phone with Microsoft hardware over Nokia's due to how beautiful the Surface is. For the future, I would prefer something along the lines of that.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft Build Quality + Nokia Camera + Microsoft OS + Nokia Exclusives built into the OS.

Ladies and gentlemen. This is where we win!

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Back to the Surface Phone rumors, are we?

Really, can we put this to bed? It isn't that I don't think there are some kind of plans bouncing around Redmond about their own phone, it is just at this point it would be a useless waste of resources to release it. Come on... they are buying Nokia. They are about to have an entire line of MS branded phones already in production and gaining traction in every market in the world.

No doubt in my mind the reports of a Surface Phone was just a back up plan in case Nokia branched off after their five year deal for exclusive WP branded smartphones ended were correct. MS was worried that Nokia might bail when their contract was up (in 2014, if memory serves). Instead, they just bought the entire manufacturing, R&D, and distrubution arm of the greatest phone maker in the history of cell phones. I think this trumps releasing one phone.

Usman Mubashir

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
hm, think about this one for a sec;

SnapDragon 800
2Gb RAM
32, 64, 128Gb internal Storage no flash (I know but I don't think MS will not put flash storage in Surface Phone)
1080p 4.7 inch AMOLED Display
20MP camera with Xenon Flash
Brushed Aluminium Back with full GG3 front
and throw in a mammoth amount of SkyDrive in it

I think I'll buy it, but they must work extremely hard on the design, I'm not gonna let go of the drool worthy Lumia Phones that easily :D

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
I think I just jizzed.

That's not normal and may affect your ability to have a relationship. I suggest you talk to your doctor about this problem.

Edit: also, what do you mean by 'I think'? Do you find it hard to tell? That's also something to discuss with your doctor.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb