Microsoft store / FPS - Schaumburg, IL

ben55124

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
Just to further clarify, I'm ok with being asked if I need help, but MS staff should know what "just browsing" means. It doesn't mean keep staring at me. It doesn't mean ask me again every time I stop at a new object. If you see me walking away as soon as you re-approach, get a clue. Also if you have a new attraction (Lumia 1520), don't station yourself in front of it.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Like I said, we just have different opinions. No one is right or wrong. And who's to say all MS stores do the same thing?

On another note, how was the size of the 1520 in person? My son is thinking of getting one, but when he saw the picture of one next to a 1020, he's not so sure now.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I guess it's a matter of opinion and preference. Myself I would prefer a person to acknowledge my presence in a store, even if only to tell him I'm looking. A person just standing in the background gives me the impression he's lazy and doesn't want to make a sale, or thinks he and/or the product is so good, you need to approach him. That type of showcasing would have me turn around and leave the store.

Just to further clarify, I'm ok with being asked if I need help, but MS staff should know what "just browsing" means. It doesn't mean keep staring at me. It doesn't mean ask me again every time I stop at a new object. If you see me walking away as soon as you re-approach, get a clue. Also if you have a new attraction (Lumia 1520), don't station yourself in front of it.

I agree with both of you here. It's fine if a salesperson says "hi" and asks if I need help when I walk in a store. But if I say I'm just looking, I don't want them to hover around me and bother me unless I ask them for help.

On the other hand, I don't want to have to spend a lot of time hunting them down if I do have a question.

My preference: acknowledge me when I walk in the store, then help me if I want help, but otherwise leave me alone.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
I haven't seen a 1520 either. I agreed with you that shop assistants should not stand in front of their best products. :)

Last edited:

ben55124

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
stmav - Definitely see the L1520 in person before buying. I can't imagine keeping it in a pant pocket or talking directly on the handset. But then some people like to use tablets as cameras.

stalemate1

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
I made a dash through the Microsoft Store at Woodfield Mall in Schaumburg, IL on Saturday, 11/16. I wanted to see the XBOne and Lumia 1520. No plans to purchase, just browse. I was a little hesitant to go in -- they have their employees lined up down the center of the store like sentinels looking to take you down. I felt intimidated from the mall entrance. There were no other customers browsing, so I knew I couldn't be stealthy. They had the "bouncer" position front and center. He was demonstrating himself playing XBOne and blocking the Lumia 1520 podium. I snuck through the Surface isle and got caught by employee #3. I told her I was just browsing. I pulled out my Lumia phone hoping to imply I knew what I was doing. She challenged me to find the 1520 that the bouncer was leaning on. I proceeded around the perimeter being watched by #3. I picked up an anchored 1020 which triggered #2 and #3 to close in. I finally reached around bouncer and grabbed the 1520. #3 complemented me on my accomplishment. I looked around for a HUD showing achievement points. I exited the store as soon as possible.

I haven't been to many Microsoft stores, but I don't think this first person shooter atmosphere is a good strategy. Perhaps I was just being paranoid. The Apple store upstairs was packed with people wanting to be there. I felt uncomfortable the moment I walked into the MS store. Sad for a showcase of stuff I like a lot.

Firstly...BEST DESCRIPTION EVER !!!

If thats how you feel...think of yourself as the general...give commands like: show me what wp can do.

Gee you could even get them to give you a free tour of the shop showing every Microsoft device if they are too persistent.

But if you need a plan of stealth...walk in, greet the employees and tell them you just want to look around and you will call them if you need anything.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I've never been to the Schaumburg store. I have been to the Oakbrook store a couple of time and I don't recall a lot of employees or being bothered by them. Just my 2 cents.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
LOL! Hey ben55124, You're right! :grin:

I dropped my wife off at O'Hare and popped over to the Woodfield Mall. There were probably 24 employees, all of them standing by one of cubes when you walk in, and maybe 12 customers in the store. I then asked a technical question about unlocking the AT&T Nokia 2520 tablet and that threw them for a loop.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I agree with both of you here. It's fine if a salesperson says "hi" and asks if I need help when I walk in a store. But if I say I'm just looking, I don't want them to hover around me and bother me unless I ask them for help.

On the other hand, I don't want to have to spend a lot of time hunting them down if I do have a question.

My preference: acknowledge me when I walk in the store, then help me if I want help, but otherwise leave me alone.

This is my preference as well. I hate having to go search for staff.

Little story. Here in the UK complaints about sales staff at stores is very high. The biggest issues I've had personally have been at clothing stores. I went to this one store once, looking to buy quite a bit of work clothes (for some reason the UK is very adamant about dress code) and was going to drop a few quid. The store had about five staff, four of which were standing at the registers having a good ol' yap and one standing around looking uncomfortable. None offered to help any of the customers. The store is now closing down. I wonder why.

ben55124

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
LOL! Hey ben55124, You're right! :grin:

Thanks for the affirmation. All of us Chicago wpcentral readers should meet at the Schaumburg store for an intervention.

Hi, do folks need help? -- uh no, but I'm afraid you do... First off, you in the front, step away from the 1520...

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
This is my preference as well. I hate having to go search for staff.

Little story. Here in the UK complaints about sales staff at stores is very high. The biggest issues I've had personally have been at clothing stores. I went to this one store once, looking to buy quite a bit of work clothes (for some reason the UK is very adamant about dress code) and was going to drop a few quid. The store had about five staff, four of which were standing at the registers having a good ol' yap and one standing around looking uncomfortable. None offered to help any of the customers. The store is now closing down. I wonder why.

This store sounds great! I would seriously shop there.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
I think my sarcasm meter just went 'SPROING!'

No, I wasn't being sarcastic! Sounds perfect to me. Staff that won't bother me (and won't stare at me) because they're busy doing something else, but are easily located at the cash desk. No-one trying to sell me something. Just what I look for in a shop - seriously.
I assume that if I actually went and asking them for something, they would probably respond.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
No, I wasn't being sarcastic! Sounds perfect to me. Staff that won't bother me (and won't stare at me) because they're busy doing something else, but are easily located at the cash desk. No-one trying to sell me something. Just what I look for in a shop - seriously.
I assume that if I actually went and asking them for something, they would probably respond.

No, that was the other issue. They really didn't 'help' in anyway, even when asked. The staff basically did nothing. It was the worst shopping experience I've ever had.

Most shops here in the UK the staff doesn't bother you, most however are helpful if you ask, if you can find them. :p

Seriously though, the UK is not known for it's 'customer service' in what is known as 'The High Street' shops. Some are better than others though. That particular clothes shop is really bad. If you like that kind of experience their other shops are still open and have similar attitudes. Not sure why that is. Considering they've been around for over 100 years I kind of wonder how they did it. :p

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro