Bill Gates holds back tears as he discusses Microsoft's CEO search

bryantest

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
I am still not convinced about the value of keeping Bing within Microsoft. I'm talking specifically about the Internet search engine business. Everyone here likes to talk about integration, but I still haven't seen a reason why Microsoft can't buy (*) Internet search from an external company (which could be the new independent Bing), or better still let the user choose. This does not stop Microsoft from integrating search results from other sources (e.g. SkyDrive, outlook.com - if you don't mind MS scanning all your files and e-mails of course), and searching locally on your machine.

As I said before in other threads, all major platforms have integrated search - even Ubuntu (if you call that a major platform). It's not really that hard.

(*): Or more likely, be paid to use.

Does satori ring any bells to you?

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm not going to try to think up examples.

OK. No-one apart from me has been able to provide a single example of a single use for this technology. Not a single one. And all my examples are things that I don't want. My conclusion is therefore this - any advantages of this all seeing technology are likely to be massively outweighed by the disadvantages. If Microsoft's products did this kind of thing, I would not buy them. (*)

MS apparently thinks it's iimportant enough to integrate into low levels of OSes. Much smarter minds than mine have bigger plans.

It's a pity they can't tell anyone what those plans are. I don't mean everything, just a few examples to help us (and more importantly, these 'investors') understand the direction.
BTW, I don't believe Microsoft are integrating search into the 'low levels of OS's'. It's a good idea to read a bit about operating systems to understand how and where a service like this is integrated. For example, I don't believe the NT kernel (which is now used by all Windows OS's) will have any dependency on a search technology.

If you don't want MS to build a foundation for the future, but instead want them to think short term, that's your business.

I don't want anything from Microsoft. I am completely neutral. Except that I may be a Microsoft shareholder, so Microsoft may be paying some of my pension, and therefore I want some reassurance that this will all one day make some money.
BTW, my 'creepy examples' above do provide some reasons for Microsoft to keep Bing. Advertisers and governments would love the opportunities this constant monitoring of the public offers (*). It's bad for us as users, but may be very profitable.

Any positive examples are still welcome and might yet change my mind!

(*) Assuming this constant monitoring is really what Microsoft have planned - I didn't see such an announcement myself.

Last edited:

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Its Bing's supermassive data repository. Its going to power Cortana

Interesting. What kind of stuff do they put in it? What will it be used for - more specific than 'powering Cortana' (which will be similar to Siri, I think?) would be appreciated!

EDIT: I will rephrase my question - what will Satori do that Bing or Google don't currently do? As a user, what difference/improvement will I see?

Last edited:

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
he should have resigned due to longhorn

We shouldn't be prejudiced so I don't think he should have resigned. The company was right to support him through such personal difficulties. It must have been inconvenient, though. Surely they had to raise his desk, for a start?

winrayjay99

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
I actually see them dividing Microsoft into two companies. for example like News Corporation, or Motorola. Xbox, bing, and windows, could be with one company, office products in the other.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett