11-26-2013 12:19 PM
66 123
tools
    I don't have Chrome installed on any of my computers. I use Firefox even on my Linux PCs. I also changed my default search engine in Firefox from Google to Bing.
    Internet Explorer has the stability, but that's about it.

Firefox, Chrome, and Opera all offer "extensions" that you can add to customize the browser to your liking.

Some features that Internet Explorer does not have, that other browsers have.

1. Automatic language translation to English
    2. Saved address and name info if you have to fill out an address form and such.

I personally use Opera, for their Keyboard shortcuts. I used to be on Chrome, but I did find it to be a bit slower compared to other browsers.
    11-23-2013 06:31 PM
    Internet Explorer has the stability, but that's about it.

Firefox, Chrome, and Opera all offer "extensions" that you can add to customize the browser to your liking.

Some features that Internet Explorer does not have, that other browsers have.

1. Automatic language translation to English
    2. Saved address and name info if you have to fill out an address form and such.

I personally use Opera, for their Keyboard shortcuts. I used to be on Chrome, but I did find it to be a bit slower compared to other browsers.
    I've used Opera in the past. However Opera 12 is so slow one would think he/she is using dial-up Internet; and Opera 16 lacks features (there isn't even a way to email a link if one uses a client such as Outlook--the extensions only are good for using webmail).
    11-23-2013 06:38 PM
    As for the Bing vs Google thing

Here is one example of a search I did on Bing today.
    I was trying to remove the "shiny reflection" aero theme thing on my Windows 7 taskbar.

Mind you, Bing's answer is not "incorrect' it's simply completely different from what I was looking for and Google somehow gives me the answers that I look for.

Also, Google groups the postings from a same website together, so that I can access the browse the different posts within a same forum easily.

I know I hate google for creating a social media account that I did not even want and also creating an email address for me, but Bing needs a lot of work.
    Attached Thumbnails bing.png   google.png  
    tgp and Premium1 like this.
    11-23-2013 06:38 PM
    Give us an example of a search query.
    11-23-2013 09:21 PM
    Except the Search bar on Android ONLY searches on Google, that's what I'm trying to say. You can't configure it to search Bing instead without a hack!!
    On stock Android, though. There was a time when all Verizon Android phones shipped with Bing search as default and this couldn't be easily changed. However, what can be done on Android is to set Bing Maps, Skydrive and some other MS services as default for their respective 'actions' and use, say, the Outlook app with the same functionality as the built in Email app. WP and iOS are closed in this regard.
    11-24-2013 08:55 AM
    I'm sure many of you are aware of the Google+ and YouTube Integration recently that have cause millions of YouTubers around the world to be emotionally angry and frustrated. First of all who freaking uses Google+. I have attempted many times to disconnect and delete Google+ from invading my YouTube profile and I've finally given up. This woke me up and made me realize how many of us are becoming dependent of Google's services. I notice my phone contact have been uploaded to Google+ and across their other services. I never gave google+ permission to upload my personal phonebook in the first place. I only created a google email account because I was forced into when activating my Samsung Android phone. In light of the recent changes, I feel vulnerable and sucked in into Google blunt attempt to monopolize the internet and now on my knees pleading to the Google gods for mercy.

Moving forward, my next phone will not be an Android phone and I've gone back to hotmail services. Youtube will be an alternative video websites. The only thing I will not give up is Google search. To all the Google fan boys out their I want to remind you that you will wake up to a rude awakening one day when you become so dependent on Google that there's no turning back. You will fall hard.

I notice MS have Bing video. Are they any good? I haven't tried a WP but do they force you to have a MS account to use other phone features. MS has been fairly good to me in the past in terms of security and privacy and I don't know why I was swayed away from MS and now sucked into this Google vortex.
    I think the G+ has more to do with trying to eliminate all those spam and "hate" comments that people love to post anonymously. This way it implements some sort of accountability. I'm not a huge fan of the G+ for youtube comments but it has seemed to help somewhat with those types of comments. I think there needs to be some other means for commenting on YouTube than G+ but I guess it is what it is.
    11-24-2013 09:25 AM
    I think the G+ has more to do with trying to eliminate all those spam and "hate" comments that people love to post anonymously. This way it implements some sort of accountability. I'm not a huge fan of the G+ for youtube comments but it has seemed to help somewhat with those types of comments. I think there needs to be some other means for commenting on YouTube than G+ but I guess it is what it is.
    If that's the plan, then they've done a horrible job at it. I've seen Adolf Hitler, Barack Obama, Suq Madiq (I laughed very hard at that one). So unless that's really Hitler or Obama drawing d*cks all over the place, then they've done a poor job.
    11-24-2013 10:11 AM
    If that's the plan, then they've done a horrible job at it. I've seen Adolf Hitler, Barack Obama, Suq Madiq (I laughed very hard at that one). So unless that's really Hitler or Obama drawing d*cks all over the place, then they've done a poor job.
    Well nobody said it would be perfect, but it is still a lot better than it was just a couple months ago.
    11-24-2013 10:27 AM
    Well nobody said it would be perfect, but it is still a lot better than it was just a couple months ago.
    I disagree completely. I would rather people be typing "lol gay" as opposed to gigantic d**ks and links to viruses and don't even get me started on Bob.
    11-24-2013 11:14 PM
    complaining about "you tube comments" being bad is like complaining you went to north korea and got oppressed. It's a no go location, like comments on the bottom of political news stories "DO NOT ENTER!"
    Premium1 likes this.
    11-25-2013 09:41 AM
    YouTube comments is the toilet stall wall of the internet.
    11-25-2013 11:02 AM
    That's the thing that perplexes me about Google fans and users. It is the biggest adware company around. People hate every other kind of adware and install blockers so that they don't have to view ad content.
    Right on, Jason! Scroogle made $50 BILLION last year, all from selling advertising (compare that to $2 billion in gross revenue for Bing). All it took for me to shut down as much Google as possible was their Jan 2012 Privacy Policy. They own Android. They claim the right to track where you are, who you call, how long you talk. Duh.

I confess, I can't quite give up my YouTube habit, and I'm not happy that I now "automatically" have G+ (there's a quick way to bump subscriber numbers, eh?), but I have stopped commenting on YouTube and I post my own videos on Vimeo (free Pro upgrade for 3 months for WinPhone users). Google now intends to use those comments as testimonials for advertisers. Otherwise, I've got Google blocked on my IE browser. If I can't see site content because I've blocked Google, oh well. Unless it's critical to my life, that site just lost a viewer. If it is critical, I'm sure I'll find the same information elsewhere.

Even Google search is a joke. How many people know that when searching for products (shopping searches) every result is from a PAID advertiser??? Do you suppose people will ever get a clue? They are not Google's customers, they are Google's product! An audience provided through venues (aka "services") to advertisers for a price.
    squire777 likes this.
    11-25-2013 08:19 PM
    Youtube will be an alternative video websites. The only thing I will not give up is Google search. ...

I notice MS have Bing video. Are they any good? I haven't tried a WP but do they force you to have a MS account to use other phone features. MS has been fairly good to me in the past in terms of security and privacy and I don't know why I was swayed away from MS and now sucked into this Google vortex.
    Bing video search is the BEST! Unlike YouTube search results where you have to open each link individually, Bing Video allows you to preview videos right in the results screen.

If you create content at all, you'll love Image searches on Bing. You can filter by layout format (portrait/landscape/square), color, and best of all, licensing.

Lastly, you should know that when you search for a product on Google (shopping searches), ALL the results are paid advertisers. Google quietly announced that change in Spring 2012. So you might want to rethink that Google addiction...
    psudotechzealot likes this.
    11-25-2013 08:26 PM
    Right on, Jason! Scroogle made $50 BILLION last year, all from selling advertising (compare that to $2 billion in gross revenue for Bing). All it took for me to shut down as much Google as possible was their Jan 2012 Privacy Policy. They own Android. They claim the right to track where you are, who you call, how long you talk. Duh.

I confess, I can't quite give up my YouTube habit, and I'm not happy that I now "automatically" have G+ (there's a quick way to bump subscriber numbers, eh?), but I have stopped commenting on YouTube and I post my own videos on Vimeo (free Pro upgrade for 3 months for WinPhone users). Google now intends to use those comments as testimonials for advertisers. Otherwise, I've got Google blocked on my IE browser. If I can't see site content because I've blocked Google, oh well. Unless it's critical to my life, that site just lost a viewer. If it is critical, I'm sure I'll find the same information elsewhere.

Even Google search is a joke. How many people know that when searching for products (shopping searches) every result is from a PAID advertiser??? Do you suppose people will ever get a clue? They are not Google's customers, they are Google's product! An audience provided through venues (aka "services") to advertisers for a price.
    Shocking.

According to you, Scroogled made 50 billion dollars last year when Microsoft in general made 73 billion over the course of the year. I wonder why they're doing anything else if most of their money is coming from a rather bad anti-Google campaign.

Seriously, this entire post is just as bad as anything that an Apple fanboy or a Linux Diehard or Fandroid or iSheep, or whatever you want to call somebody that is religiously devoted to one company has written.
    Premium1 likes this.
    11-26-2013 09:59 AM
    I'm pretty sure she was referring to Google as "Scroogled" and not the MS Scroogled campaign. It's just common sense that the Scroogled ad campaign is not a money generating endeavor and certainly not 50 billion.

In other words, Google made 50 billion dollars in ad revenue compared to Microsoft's 2 billion (out of ~73 billion total MS revenue) in ad revenue. She is making the same case that several of us in this thread have made. Google is an advertising company that offers mostly free technology to consumers as a way to collect information from them to further their core advertising business. Microsoft is a technology company that really only provides advertising at a limited level via the their search engine. Therefore, Google has every incentive to push the limits of privacy laws and data collection compared to MS which has lots of reasons not to push those limits and instead focus on its core business which is technology.
    11-26-2013 11:39 AM
    I'm pretty sure she was referring to Google as "Scroogled" and not the MS Scroogled campaign. It's just common sense that the Scroogled ad campaign is not a money generating endeavor and certainly not 50 billion.

In other words, Google made 50 billion dollars in ad revenue compared to Microsoft's 2 billion (out of ~73 billion total MS revenue) in ad revenue. She is making the same case that several of us in this thread have made. Google is an advertising company that offers mostly free technology to consumers as a way to collect information from them to further their core advertising business. Microsoft is a technology company that really only provides advertising at a limited level via the their search engine. Therefore, Google has every incentive to push the limits of privacy laws and data collection compared to MS which has lots of reasons not to push those limits and instead focus on its core business which is technology.
    Ah, okay.

My bad.

I assumed that she had a point on something. Google uses our info to make money, giving us free software to help us out? Yawn, that isn't the horrible thing that people are painting it out to be. It also was weird that she called them "Scroogled", when it's obvious that it is meant to mean something along the lines of "screwed by Google". :|

Still not helping with the idea that the entire post was essentially cheerleading for Microsoft.
    11-26-2013 12:19 PM
66 123