Going back to MS Services after a Rude Awakening from Google+ and YouTube

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
So now that you are done explaining the basic concepts of targeted advertising, please explain how "Google's use of special computer code to trick Apple's Safari Web-browsing software into letting it monitor users that had blocked such tracking" fits into the accepted targeted advertising techniques you described.

Not everything is black and white, there are shades of gray.

Did Google trick Apple's Safari into tracking users? | ZDNet

Do I believe Google's explanation (at the bottom)? At least it sounds better than the Google is evil theory. However that might be because smear campaigns are not very common in Europe and therefore also the Scroogled campaign doesn't exist here. It seems to work in the USA to some extent.

Microsoft's anti-Google crusade is working (says Microsoft) | Technically Incorrect - CNET News

skstrials

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
As much as I hate google, I have tried Bing and it's simply not as good as google search

also, there is no real competition for Youtube right now.
I have a question actually.

On windows phones, can you configure the search button and change the search provider to other than Bing?

troylytle

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
You can change the default to google but it will still be Bing on the hardware button. But when you type random queries in ie it will google it.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
As much as I hate google, I have tried Bing and it's simply not as good as google search

also, there is no real competition for Youtube right now.
I have a question actually.

On windows phones, can you configure the search button and change the search provider to other than Bing?

The search button on Windows Phone is as configurable as the search bar on Android!!

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
The search button on Windows Phone is as configurable as the search bar on Android!!

How? There's this Russian trick that is supposed to work, but doesn't on my HTC 8X. However, already the fact that a trick is needed makes it clear that it isn't as configurable as on Android.

GSOgymrat

May 15, 2012
Visit site
Privacy issues aside, I just like Microsoft's services better than Google's. I don't understand why Gmail is considered so amazing when Outlook has such a nice look and good features. I enjoy typing anything from my start screen and seeing all my options. I definitely prefer Internet Explorer to Chrome. The one area where Google is far and away superior is YouTube-- there is nothing comparable to it.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Privacy issues aside, I just like Microsoft's services better than Google's. I don't understand why Gmail is considered so amazing when Outlook has such a nice look and good features. I enjoy typing anything from my start screen and seeing all my options. I definitely prefer Internet Explorer to Chrome. The one area where Google is far and away superior is YouTube-- there is nothing comparable to it.

I don't have Chrome installed on any of my computers. I use Firefox even on my Linux PCs. I also changed my default search engine in Firefox from Google to Bing.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
How? There's this Russian trick that is supposed to work, but doesn't on my HTC 8X. However, already the fact that a trick is needed makes it clear that it isn't as configurable as on Android.

Except the Search bar on Android ONLY searches on Google, that's what I'm trying to say. You can't configure it to search Bing instead without a hack!!

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Except the Search bar on Android ONLY searches on Google, that's what I'm trying to say. You can't configure it to search Bing instead without a hack!!

Yes I haven't found a way to change it. But let's look at the situation: Android users have zero reasons to use Bing. Google search is mostly better than Bing's, and anyone using Android isn't concerned about privacy issues. WP users, however, may want to use Google search because of better results, especially if they live outside the US. That said, Microsoft should in no way be obligated to enable users to change the default search.

skstrials

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I don't have Chrome installed on any of my computers. I use Firefox even on my Linux PCs. I also changed my default search engine in Firefox from Google to Bing.

Internet Explorer has the stability, but that's about it.

Firefox, Chrome, and Opera all offer "extensions" that you can add to customize the browser to your liking.

Some features that Internet Explorer does not have, that other browsers have.

1. Automatic language translation to English
2. Saved address and name info if you have to fill out an address form and such.

I personally use Opera, for their Keyboard shortcuts. I used to be on Chrome, but I did find it to be a bit slower compared to other browsers.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Internet Explorer has the stability, but that's about it.

Firefox, Chrome, and Opera all offer "extensions" that you can add to customize the browser to your liking.

Some features that Internet Explorer does not have, that other browsers have.

1. Automatic language translation to English
2. Saved address and name info if you have to fill out an address form and such.

I personally use Opera, for their Keyboard shortcuts. I used to be on Chrome, but I did find it to be a bit slower compared to other browsers.

I've used Opera in the past. However Opera 12 is so slow one would think he/she is using dial-up Internet; and Opera 16 lacks features (there isn't even a way to email a link if one uses a client such as Outlook--the extensions only are good for using webmail).

skstrials

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
As for the Bing vs Google thing

Here is one example of a search I did on Bing today.
I was trying to remove the "shiny reflection" aero theme thing on my Windows 7 taskbar.

Mind you, Bing's answer is not "incorrect' it's simply completely different from what I was looking for and Google somehow gives me the answers that I look for.

Also, Google groups the postings from a same website together, so that I can access the browse the different posts within a same forum easily.

I know I hate google for creating a social media account that I did not even want and also creating an email address for me, but Bing needs a lot of work.

Attachments

• bing.PNG
    bing.PNG
    69.3 KB · Views: 4
  • google.PNG
    google.PNG
    111.5 KB · Views: 4

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site

On stock Android, though. There was a time when all Verizon Android phones shipped with Bing search as default and this couldn't be easily changed. However, what can be done on Android is to set Bing Maps, Skydrive and some other MS services as default for their respective 'actions' and use, say, the Outlook app with the same functionality as the built in Email app. WP and iOS are closed in this regard.

Premium1

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure many of you are aware of the Google+ and YouTube Integration recently that have cause millions of YouTubers around the world to be emotionally angry and frustrated. First of all who freaking uses Google+. I have attempted many times to disconnect and delete Google+ from invading my YouTube profile and I've finally given up. This woke me up and made me realize how many of us are becoming dependent of Google's services. I notice my phone contact have been uploaded to Google+ and across their other services. I never gave google+ permission to upload my personal phonebook in the first place. I only created a google email account because I was forced into when activating my Samsung Android phone. In light of the recent changes, I feel vulnerable and sucked in into Google blunt attempt to monopolize the internet and now on my knees pleading to the Google gods for mercy.

Moving forward, my next phone will not be an Android phone and I've gone back to hotmail services. Youtube will be an alternative video websites. The only thing I will not give up is Google search. To all the Google fan boys out their I want to remind you that you will wake up to a rude awakening one day when you become so dependent on Google that there's no turning back. You will fall hard.

I notice MS have Bing video. Are they any good? I haven't tried a WP but do they force you to have a MS account to use other phone features. MS has been fairly good to me in the past in terms of security and privacy and I don't know why I was swayed away from MS and now sucked into this Google vortex.

I think the G+ has more to do with trying to eliminate all those spam and "hate" comments that people love to post anonymously. This way it implements some sort of accountability. I'm not a huge fan of the G+ for youtube comments but it has seemed to help somewhat with those types of comments. I think there needs to be some other means for commenting on YouTube than G+ but I guess it is what it is.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I think the G+ has more to do with trying to eliminate all those spam and "hate" comments that people love to post anonymously. This way it implements some sort of accountability. I'm not a huge fan of the G+ for youtube comments but it has seemed to help somewhat with those types of comments. I think there needs to be some other means for commenting on YouTube than G+ but I guess it is what it is.

If that's the plan, then they've done a horrible job at it. I've seen Adolf Hitler, Barack Obama, Suq Madiq (I laughed very hard at that one). So unless that's really Hitler or Obama drawing d*cks all over the place, then they've done a poor job.

Premium1

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
If that's the plan, then they've done a horrible job at it. I've seen Adolf Hitler, Barack Obama, Suq Madiq (I laughed very hard at that one). So unless that's really Hitler or Obama drawing d*cks all over the place, then they've done a poor job.

Well nobody said it would be perfect, but it is still a lot better than it was just a couple months ago.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Well nobody said it would be perfect, but it is still a lot better than it was just a couple months ago.

I disagree completely. I would rather people be typing "lol gay" as opposed to gigantic d**ks and links to viruses and don't even get me started on Bob.

Funky Cricket

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
complaining about "you tube comments" being bad is like complaining you went to north korea and got oppressed. It's a no go location, like comments on the bottom of political news stories "DO NOT ENTER!"

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb