Going back to MS Services after a Rude Awakening from Google+ and YouTube

Nerdy Woman

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
That's the thing that perplexes me about Google fans and users. It is the biggest adware company around. People hate every other kind of adware and install blockers so that they don't have to view ad content.

Right on, Jason! Scroogle made $50 BILLION last year, all from selling advertising (compare that to $2 billion in gross revenue for Bing). All it took for me to shut down as much Google as possible was their Jan 2012 Privacy Policy. They own Android. They claim the right to track where you are, who you call, how long you talk. Duh.

I confess, I can't quite give up my YouTube habit, and I'm not happy that I now "automatically" have G+ (there's a quick way to bump subscriber numbers, eh?), but I have stopped commenting on YouTube and I post my own videos on Vimeo (free Pro upgrade for 3 months for WinPhone users). Google now intends to use those comments as testimonials for advertisers. Otherwise, I've got Google blocked on my IE browser. If I can't see site content because I've blocked Google, oh well. Unless it's critical to my life, that site just lost a viewer. If it is critical, I'm sure I'll find the same information elsewhere.

Even Google search is a joke. How many people know that when searching for products (shopping searches) every result is from a PAID advertiser??? Do you suppose people will ever get a clue? They are not Google's customers, they are Google's product! An audience provided through venues (aka "services") to advertisers for a price.

Nerdy Woman

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Youtube will be an alternative video websites. The only thing I will not give up is Google search. ...

I notice MS have Bing video. Are they any good? I haven't tried a WP but do they force you to have a MS account to use other phone features. MS has been fairly good to me in the past in terms of security and privacy and I don't know why I was swayed away from MS and now sucked into this Google vortex.

Bing video search is the BEST! Unlike YouTube search results where you have to open each link individually, Bing Video allows you to preview videos right in the results screen.

If you create content at all, you'll love Image searches on Bing. You can filter by layout format (portrait/landscape/square), color, and best of all, licensing.

Lastly, you should know that when you search for a product on Google (shopping searches), ALL the results are paid advertisers. Google quietly announced that change in Spring 2012. So you might want to rethink that Google addiction...

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Right on, Jason! Scroogle made $50 BILLION last year, all from selling advertising (compare that to $2 billion in gross revenue for Bing). All it took for me to shut down as much Google as possible was their Jan 2012 Privacy Policy. They own Android. They claim the right to track where you are, who you call, how long you talk. Duh.

I confess, I can't quite give up my YouTube habit, and I'm not happy that I now "automatically" have G+ (there's a quick way to bump subscriber numbers, eh?), but I have stopped commenting on YouTube and I post my own videos on Vimeo (free Pro upgrade for 3 months for WinPhone users). Google now intends to use those comments as testimonials for advertisers. Otherwise, I've got Google blocked on my IE browser. If I can't see site content because I've blocked Google, oh well. Unless it's critical to my life, that site just lost a viewer. If it is critical, I'm sure I'll find the same information elsewhere.

Even Google search is a joke. How many people know that when searching for products (shopping searches) every result is from a PAID advertiser??? Do you suppose people will ever get a clue? They are not Google's customers, they are Google's product! An audience provided through venues (aka "services") to advertisers for a price.

Shocking.

According to you, Scroogled made 50 billion dollars last year when Microsoft in general made 73 billion over the course of the year. I wonder why they're doing anything else if most of their money is coming from a rather bad anti-Google campaign.

Seriously, this entire post is just as bad as anything that an Apple ****** or a Linux Diehard or Fandroid or iSheep, or whatever you want to call somebody that is religiously devoted to one company has written.

Cleavitt76

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm pretty sure she was referring to Google as "Scroogled" and not the MS Scroogled campaign. It's just common sense that the Scroogled ad campaign is not a money generating endeavor and certainly not 50 billion.

In other words, Google made 50 billion dollars in ad revenue compared to Microsoft's 2 billion (out of ~73 billion total MS revenue) in ad revenue. She is making the same case that several of us in this thread have made. Google is an advertising company that offers mostly free technology to consumers as a way to collect information from them to further their core advertising business. Microsoft is a technology company that really only provides advertising at a limited level via the their search engine. Therefore, Google has every incentive to push the limits of privacy laws and data collection compared to MS which has lots of reasons not to push those limits and instead focus on its core business which is technology.

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm pretty sure she was referring to Google as "Scroogled" and not the MS Scroogled campaign. It's just common sense that the Scroogled ad campaign is not a money generating endeavor and certainly not 50 billion.

In other words, Google made 50 billion dollars in ad revenue compared to Microsoft's 2 billion (out of ~73 billion total MS revenue) in ad revenue. She is making the same case that several of us in this thread have made. Google is an advertising company that offers mostly free technology to consumers as a way to collect information from them to further their core advertising business. Microsoft is a technology company that really only provides advertising at a limited level via the their search engine. Therefore, Google has every incentive to push the limits of privacy laws and data collection compared to MS which has lots of reasons not to push those limits and instead focus on its core business which is technology.

Ah, okay.

My bad.

I assumed that she had a point on something. Google uses our info to make money, giving us free software to help us out? Yawn, that isn't the horrible thing that people are painting it out to be. It also was weird that she called them "Scroogled", when it's obvious that it is meant to mean something along the lines of "screwed by Google". :|

Still not helping with the idea that the entire post was essentially cheerleading for Microsoft.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon