the new sailfish OS .... is it a threat ?

HaibaneReki

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I for one am rooting for them. I was stunned when I first handled the N9 and it was basically the reason I then looked into the L800 and got hooked to WP!

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
The WP OS is climbing the ladder not only because its good, But the amount that MS and NOKIA spent on marketing is insane! you can almost see the OS in every ad space there is. Which inevitably is going to get people trying, after trying, if it was good then you get the barrel rolling.

What about iPhone and Android. in my country, we first heard about the iPhone when it was already the iPhone 3gs lol. android was only discovered through the SGs2. you can see how late this is from when those both platforms started and contrast it against WP, where the platform became noticeable since the Lumia 920, (the second generation of the platform).

So until Sailfish can throw at least the same amount of cash, I'm not worried.

That is my opinion though.

Vistaus

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
The WP OS is climbing the ladder not only because its good, But the amount that MS and NOKIA spent on marketing is insane! you can almost see the OS in every ad space there is. Which inevitably is going to get people trying, after trying, if it was good then you get the barrel rolling.

What about iPhone and Android. in my country, we first heard about the iPhone when it was already the iPhone 3gs lol. android was only discovered through the SGs2. you can see how late this is from when those both platforms started and contrast it against WP, where the platform became noticeable since the Lumia 920, (the second generation of the platform).

So until Sailfish can throw at least the same amount of cash, I'm not worried.

That is my opinion though.

Marketing isn't everything. We have 2 supermarkets in the mall here, they're on the same level regarding everything. One does a hell of a lot marketing and they get such a low amount of customers, they're now moving out of the mall because of that. Meanwhile, the other supermarket doesn't do any marketing. No ads, no nothing. Yet, most supermarket shoppers go there.
(did I mention that the one *with* marketing is from the oldest supermarket chain in the country thus established big time?)

If you still think marketing works, well, I'm sorry to hear that. But in the case of the supermarkets here it's pretty clear that the one without marketing gets almost all of the customers so marketing isn't the answer per se, though it *can* help.

rodan01

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I was watching some videos and the OS looks buggy, the Android apps don't run well, lag and crashes. Reviewers describe the UI as inconsistent and confusing.
It seams Sailfish was rushed to market and needs a year or more to correct the bugs, improve the Android runtime and usability aspects.

Speedygi

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
I was watching some videos and the OS looks buggy, the Android apps don't run well, lag and crashes. Reviewers describe the UI as inconsistent and confusing.
It seams Sailfish was rushed to market and needs a year or more to correct the bugs, improve the Android runtime and usability aspects.

Plus if you try to even explore installing roms and all, and you are not the type's that savvy with these software things, good luck with getting the phone back to 100 percent. It is actually the reason why I like Apple's phones because they often just work the way they should and they are incredibly hard to screw up.

nemecek_f

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
I think it is dead already. Just take a look how hard it is and it was for Microsoft to capture some market share. Now compare how big those companies are and how much money they have to spend.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Just take a look how hard it is and it was for Microsoft to capture some market share. Now compare how big those companies are and how much money they have to spend.

Part of Microsoft's problem was that it didn't have a very good app ecosystem behind it. If Sailfish uses Google's Play Store it has an instant huge app ecosystem.

nemecek_f

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
Part of Microsoft's problem was that it didn't have a very good app ecosystem behind it. If Sailfish uses Google's Play Store it has an instant huge app ecosystem.

I don't think Google allows its Play to be part of other operating system. Jolla can run Android apps but very likely not directly from Google Play Store. Ecosystem probably depends on developers willing to submit app to another app store.

ilovenokia

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
Ok this is what I believe

If you have a basic knowledge about a new product, you can build an image of this product future.

The Jolla Sailfish OS have a power, which every Smartphone company running behind it, this power is the word "Gestures"

Yes Sailfish OS is a Gestures base OS, It is the natural way mind can imagine for the development of the current UI of each OS.

How is that ?

1- When Nokia and Black Berry tried to develop a touch OS they created two close OSes the Nokia MeeGo (the father of Sailfish OS) and Black Berry 10 OS which it is also close to MeeGo.
2- The power word Gestures is the idea which developers and engineers trying to implement in older OSes like iOS and Android.

Sailfish OS started from the right place with the right ideas.
They are a team with a vision, they know how to combine Software with what people looking for Hardware to create the Perfect Formula of success.

Give Jolla & SailFish OS another two years and watch their shares in the market.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
I feel Microsoft should be driving cars around the globe ASAP ? be the master of your own destiny and all that.

Why stop with maps? When are Microsoft going to buy the coffee plantations that supply Redmond?

My opinion is that Nokia's current data is subpar and they don't have the resources to catch up to Google, and I believe I've previously heard someone (Rubino?) say that Microsoft isn't really impressed with HERE either.

Every review I've seen of WP and HERE says HERE is great, but my experience is the same as yours. In my city, the data is poor, and in places even dangerously wrong. It's different to Apple Maps, which just misses a lot of stuff. HERE has an enormous quantity of data, but it's not very accurate.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
I don't think Google allows its Play to be part of other operating system. Jolla can run Android apps but very likely not directly from Google Play Store. Ecosystem probably depends on developers willing to submit app to another app store.

Google Play is now available on BB10. No idea what Jolla have planned, but I wouldn't totally rule out Play coming to Sailfish.

nemecek_f

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
Google Play is now available on BB10. No idea what Jolla have planned, but I wouldn't totally rule out Play coming to Sailfish.

I don't think so, I tried Google and only find something like this: Statement from BlackBerry on Google Play / BlackBerry 10 rumors | CrackBerry.com I know it is month old article however probably nothing really changed meanwhile. I know Android apps can run on BB10 but that is not the same thing as full Google Play support. And why would Google allow competition to use their app store?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786