the new sailfish OS .... is it a threat ?

Ahmed Hassan7

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
There is a new OS called sailfish OS created by jola there first mobile is high end and is for 400? the OS is a combination between WP and Android and it has licensed Nokia here maps , do you think it is a threat on WP ?

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
unfortunately for them. No it won't. why?? because competition is VERY stiff. The only top OSes are WP, IOS and Android. They will have to get through Microsoft, Apple and Google which are titans to become one. though I can see them competing with BB for 4th place

Speedygi

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
Seriously on a mobile landscape where even third place is an almost impossible endeavor, I don't see how any new platform can compete. Firefox OS has competition though now at least, haha.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Nope. Sorry, Jolla. I respect you, and hope this works. But:

-How can they compete with the face pace of mobile on such a small budget? They will need to keep their device life cycle out much longer then the average manufacturer. No way they can keep up.

-Who develops for it? Being able to sideload Android apps is fine, but if you want Android apps, you will buy an Android. You can't use someone elses strength as a reason to buy your devices. If Sailfish doesn't have unique offerings, then there is less chance to grab your own audience.

-What markets do you fight for? You can't do a huge rollout- you need to build an audience where your best chances are. Has Jolla got a handle on that?

-How do you market it? How do you sell a new OS? The casual user isn't interested in something new just for the sake of it. You need to convince them.

Add it all up, it is a nice attempt from a company that may be profitable but in a very limited range. If they hit 2% in 2 years, I would be stunned.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Seriously on a mobile landscape where even third place is an almost impossible endeavor, I don't see how any new platform can compete. Firefox OS has competition though now at least, haha.

oh yea. true. but judging on the power of Microsoft, Apple and Google. probably not a good place for BB right now

Speedygi

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
To be completely frank, I don't think Blackberry can ever beat the giant ecosystems of today. But, you know what, they have brand equity that not many other mobile device manufacturers have. Let's put it this way, I don't see them as a third player but a manufacturer catering to the niches it appeals to, namely physical keyboard lovers and those who value productivity more than anything else.

N1NJ4K1LL3R

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Looks as if they have taken a few design cues from Apple, BlackBerry and Windows phone, All sort of rolled into one incoherent mess. Jolla can keep their misguided open source bull**** ideas cause people aren't buying it.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
It's just another android variation. Now if it ran Symbian 4, then it might be a threat because there are still a lot of hardcore Symbian fans out there.

radmanvr

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
unfortunately for them. No it won't. why?? because competition is VERY stiff. The only top OSes are WP, IOS and Android. They will have to get through Microsoft, Apple and Google which are titans to become one. though I can see them competing with BB for 4th place
I think it will compete with firefox os for 5th place.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Actually, the HERE licensing stuff is interesting to me. Nokia is also providing mapping for Tizen. Are they contractually tied to offer Windows Phone a good version of HERE, or could we end up with a pretty bleak roadmap with the company trying to support something like five platforms?

I feel Microsoft should be driving cars around the globe ASAP – be the master of your own destiny and all that. Oh, and offer turn-by-turn navigation in your default Maps app, because every other operating system does. My opinion is that Nokia's current data is subpar and they don't have the resources to catch up to Google, and I believe I've previously heard someone (Rubino?) say that Microsoft isn't really impressed with HERE either.

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
There is far too much competition out there already. Even if it was great and better than all the other OS's out there it would not stand a chance. This is the wrong business to be trying to get into right now. If Apple was just trying to start out right now even they would not stand a chance. Apple took a GAINT gamble when they came out with the Iphone. It could have just as easily drove them into the ground. But it was the right time and they had a good product. But the big thing is they had very little competition. Most people were using feature phones. For that matter there is still a big portion of cell phone users that only buy feature phones. I really believe in time WP8 will pass them or at least duke it out with them for second place. The pie can only be sliced SOOOOO thin.

rakesh1995

Banned
May 26, 2013
Visit site
Lets see.
We have
Android
IOS
Windows phone
Fire fox
Sailfish
Tizen
Ubuntu
Bb10

All of them except iOS and wp can run android apps.

Also why some one is going to buy a Jolla? You get to sideload android apps in bb10 also. And the price of z10 is near Jolla gives better build and display.

On other side
(Interesting fact)-you can install Jolla sailfish in any android device. Most android never gets updated. People might just load Jolla to run latest apps of android. This might give them a biger base.

Also no one should underestimate Jolla. There are former nokia guys. They are one of the best designers and programmers in world.
Also where did the hell they got money to make a os and develop it for 2 year.
Make a factory and make their own branded phones.
Spend money on advertisement
Also money to license here maps?

Its a huge amount of money....$$₹₹

I suspect nokia funding.

Nokia might surprise us by buying Jolla in 2016 and returning to mobile division

Sent from my Uuusumm Lumia 520 using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss