01-24-2014 10:47 AM
31 12
tools
    I don't use modern UI apps. I can achieve a similar effect by resizing the window of my email client or whatever (although I have never actually bothered to do so).
    Modern UI apps have one advantage not mentioned so far: that they have been vetted by Microsoft before being published in the store. Part of the point of Windows 8.X is to transition to a walled ecosystem where users (not geeks, but ordinary people) can have computers and not have to buy anti-malware.

This is part of the beauty of Windows RT, which is as safe as an iPad and once developers get up to speed, will be as versatile as any PC. It is time to start transitioning from desktop style apps (or as we used to call them, programs) to Modern UI ones. Imagine all those clock cycles freed up from Mr MacAfee and his little gnomes.

Another thing to consider with Windows 8 is that there is a lot more to it than a UI, the changes run deep. The PC I'm using to write this on originally came with Windows Vista (now that was a dog) and has been upgraded through 7, 8 and now 8.1, which has given this machine a new lease of life. This is because 8.1 runs 30% faster than 7, which was faster than Vista and the difference is noticeable. What's more, 8 and 8.1 have proved to be rock solid.

In recent years Microsoft have worked really hard to get their act together, first with Windows Phone, now with Windows and by integrating their services through WP, Windows and Xbox in a way which is truly innovative. Someone at MS had a really powerful vision of the future and Ballmer & Co had balls enough to run with it. That deserves credit.

The fact that people who criticize do so on such minor grounds as the lack of a Start button or a personal dislike of a new UI is testament to how far Microsoft has come as a company. The fact that a six year old PC can run Microsoft's latest OS without a hitch and integrate that old technology seamlessly into the cloud is a real engineering achievement worth lauding (& perhaps one of the reasons PC sales are down?). The fact that Microsoft actually listens to criticism without getting huffy or pompous is also a credit and probably one of the secrets of their success.

Please by all means criticise MS, but also maintain a sense of proportion. A more positive approach to innovation will help you get more out of it.
    Cleavitt76 likes this.
    01-24-2014 04:00 AM
    I am very concerned about a single company from a single country controlling what you can install on *your* hardware (this is not only a Microsoft issue). I understand the security advantages, but much prefer the Android approach where users are able to disable this protection and use their judgement (good or bad) on what software to run on *their own* hardware.
    This has not only commercial but also geopolitical implications. A single company and single country controlling what the world runs on its computers is a very scary prospect. Given Microsoft's dominance of the desktop/laptop PC market, there is a serious danger of this happening.
    01-24-2014 04:36 AM
    I am very concerned about a single company from a single country controlling what you can install on *your* hardware (this is not only a Microsoft issue). I understand the security advantages, but much prefer the Android approach where users are able to disable this protection and use their judgement (good or bad) on what software to run on *their own* hardware.
    This has not only commercial but also geopolitical implications. A single company and single country controlling what the world runs on its computers is a very scary prospect. Given Microsoft's dominance of the desktop/laptop PC market, there is a serious danger of this happening.
    One of the reasons I like Windows 8 is that it still supports the full desktop. You can download and install whatever you want. I don't think Microsoft will be able to restrict users to just Windows Store applications anytime soon.
    Cleavitt76 likes this.
    01-24-2014 08:47 AM
    Modern UI apps have one advantage not mentioned so far: that they have been vetted by Microsoft before being published in the store. Part of the point of Windows 8.X is to transition to a walled ecosystem where users (not geeks, but ordinary people) can have computers and not have to buy anti-malware.
    But what happens with companies that develop their own programs, or have specialized ones made for them? Would they have to go through the Store?
    01-24-2014 09:04 AM
    I have used Windows 8!

Indeed. So it's got similar functionality to Windows XP. Actually I think Windows NT4 could do much the same. Good that Microsoft not moving backwards! But let's be clear - notifications are not a new feature!

I avoid the live tiles - not useful on a PC and catastrophically ugly.

I don't use modern UI apps. I can achieve a similar effect by resizing the window of my email client or whatever (although I have never actually bothered to do so).

Your other post seems to have been removed and even the part where I quoted you has been removed from my reply by a moderator. Now there is a strange hole in the conversation and my previous reply seems out of place. I'm not sure what is going on there. Nothing in your post or my post was out of line.

Anyway, I think you misunderstood the purpose of my post were I posted the desktop screenshot. I was responding to Peachy's question about the desktop and whether Modern UI apps can be run side by side with other apps. I was just providing a quick example of the concept by docking the Mail client along side the desktop. I never claimed it was a superior email workflow or anything else. It was just an example of docking functionality in Windows 8. You are the one that responded with comments about " email notifications were in XP and didn't take up a large section of the screen." or something to that effect (it has been deleted now). I never mentioned email notifications prior to that and I certainly never said that email notifications are a new or special feature of Windows 8 so there is no point discussing this.
    01-24-2014 10:22 AM
    One of the reasons I like Windows 8 is that it still supports the full desktop. You can download and install whatever you want. I don't think Microsoft will be able to restrict users to just Windows Store applications anytime soon.
    I agree and I don't think that is even their intention. Microsoft is well aware that one of their greatest advantages is being able to run diverse hardware and software. Just because they are providing an app store doesn't mean that the end goal is to completely lock everyone into a "walled garden." Modern UI apps are targeted at different needs than desktop apps. One does not replace the other any more than web apps could replace all desktop apps or .Net/Java apps can replace low level C++/Assembly coded software. There have always been different programming models for different requirements. Just because a new model/framework comes along to fit a certain use case doesn't mean everything before it gets replaced. Microsoft has not told developers to stop programming other apps types. They are still expanding the frameworks used by desktop apps and other types of apps. They are still developing brand new software themselves using non-modern UI frameworks and tools. I don't know why so many people think that Modern UI and the Windows Store is intended to replace every other aspects of Windows and Microsoft software.

But what happens with companies that develop their own programs, or have specialized ones made for them? Would they have to go through the Store?
    No. There are already ways for enterprise customers to deploy Modern UI apps (both Windows and Windows Phone) to devices trusted on their infrastructure. They have full control over the "validation" process. It's similar in concept to the way developers can deploy an app to their own phone (if dev unlocked). I haven't read up on the details well enough to elaborate, but I know the option exists.
    tgp and Ian Too like this.
    01-24-2014 10:47 AM
31 12