I have had an upgrade due since August and I am currently on a Lumia 928. I am excited about the Microsoft/Nokia acquisition and can't wait for Microsoft to be making Windows Phones on their own. But my dilemma is whether I should upgrade now (to either a Nokia Lumia 929 or BlackBerry Z30) or wait it out. I read somewhere that Microsoft wouldn't be able to get anything started on their own until 2014...but when will that be? Would it be almost another year before we see any Microsoft phones? That's what I am concerned about. Any advice or information is appreciated!
    12-06-2013 04:38 PM
    Pretty much. Technically, if you want a Microsoft phone, you have to wait it out till Q1 2014.

That said, I'm seeing Microsoft release new phones to coincide with Windows Phone 8.1. So, wait and see.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    12-06-2013 04:59 PM
    Pretty much. Technically, if you want a Microsoft phone, you have to wait it out till Q1 2014.

That said, I'm seeing Microsoft release new phones to coincide with Windows Phone 8.1. So, wait and see.

I expect that as well. That's why I am hesitant on the 929 as I am thinking that there might be better phones right around the corner with the launch of Windows Phone 8.1
    12-06-2013 05:28 PM
    Would Microsoft really be able to put out a phone that quick? The Microsoft/Nokia deal has just recently been approved. I would feel like that would be a really big rush in my opinion. When does 8.1 come out? Q1 2014? But I guess Microsoft could have some of it owns ideas or prototypes already for phones.
    snowmutt likes this.
    12-06-2013 05:35 PM
    Would Microsoft really be able to put out a phone that quick? The Microsoft/Nokia deal has just recently been approved. I would feel like that would be a really big rush in my opinion. When does 8.1 come out? Q1 2014? But I guess Microsoft could have some of it owns ideas or prototypes already for phones.
    I said technically.

Microsoft will release phones under their name, but I don't think they'll be able to push out products on their own until 2015.
    snowmutt likes this.
    12-06-2013 06:14 PM
    Think about it right before the Lumia line dominated the Windows Phone line Microsoft was preparing to release there own phone. Whether that was a Surface phone or what remains to be seen but with the steps Microsoft has taken in the last 3-4 years is beyond amazing
    WanderingTraveler likes this.
    12-06-2013 06:48 PM
    Its possible that they already have a phone designed and prototyped, ready to be manufactured using Nokia's resources. I am very excited to see what Microsoft pulls off. But truth be told, I just want a phone that mimics the surface design style.
    12-06-2013 07:13 PM
    Its possible that they already have a phone designed and prototyped, ready to be manufactured using Nokia's resources. I am very excited to see what Microsoft pulls off. But truth be told, I just want a phone that mimics the surface design style.
    this is most likely the case right now
    12-06-2013 07:26 PM
    Shoot. This gets me all sorts of excites. I'm a nerd.
    snowmutt likes this.
    12-06-2013 08:01 PM
    Any news on if Tmobile will jump on the WP bandwagon and get new phones.?
    12-09-2013 04:05 AM

First I've seen of this... Source?
    12-09-2013 04:34 AM
    Damn WPC journalist keep screwing up things! They had Q2 but now state 'After February' so could be Q2 or late Q1.

http://www.windowscentral.com/micros...w-file-manager

It would make sense that new phones will be released with WP8.1, whether it's a 'Surface' phone remains to be seen.
    12-09-2013 04:54 AM
    First I've seen of this... Source?
    I believe he's referring to several rumours, that Microsoft are going to announce WP 8.1 at MWC in late February and possibly (I think they will as well), show it on some new phones. When these phones get released to the public though, no idea. But as we've seen with Amber on the 925 and Black on the 1520 and 1320, Nokia/Microsoft seem to like to release a phone or two with a new update on them, then current phones receive the update later on.
    snowmutt likes this.
    12-09-2013 04:58 AM
    Look how quickly Nokia came out with their first WP device. It was like six months from start to release. Also look at how many devices they have since released. One thing Nokia knows how to do is get new product out the door. Now keeping stock of all those new devices is another matter but I can understand the reasoning behind it.
    12-09-2013 07:40 AM
    Google took almost a year to get Motorola through their backlog. I don't see Microsoft being faster than Google. Carriers have contracts for devices that will limit what Microsoft can do.
    snowmutt likes this.
    12-09-2013 08:46 AM
    Google took almost a year to get Motorola through their backlog. I don't see Microsoft being faster than Google. Carriers have contracts for devices that will limit what Microsoft can do.
    unless. Microsoft can pull an Apple :-). most probably they would with AT&T
    12-10-2013 02:36 AM
    I am baffled by a lot of these timelines. Surely Nokia has got the next set of devices already in the testing phase. I mean we are talking MS and Nokia announced the purchase a few months ago. I see no way there aren't a wave of Nokia's waiting to be given the green light and set on their way. Does anyone think a company like Nokia would rest on the nearly 6 month old 1020, even older set of mid-range devices, and only continue to market the new L525, 1520, and the as yet unreleased L929 as Android's pump out their next wave of phones? What if the sale had gotten side tracked? What if it just took 4-6 months longer then expected?

What if China STILL holds it up, just because they can?

Nokia will have something out in that time frame.

But, on back to the query at hand, I think you should give the L929 a chance to come out, and grab the phone you like best between that and the Z30. If you choose the Lumia 292, do not worry about WP 8.1 phones- the L929 will have a more then strong enough processor, RAM, and graphics processor to handle the entire update. The High Def screen will still stand up to any other screen tech coming out, and you will be out nothing.

I like BB10, so I understand the appeal of the Z30. If you believe BlackBerry will be in a position to support it, then I say go with your gut after seeing them both in action.

Don't wait unless you really have a gut instinct to.
    12-10-2013 09:52 PM
    I agree, Nokia probably has another round or even 2 rounds, of devices in line to release.

I wouldn't wait specifically for a Microsoft phone.
    snowmutt likes this.
    12-10-2013 10:10 PM