01-08-2014 05:54 PM
106 1234 ...
tools
    >But I need for GIFS to be able to be sent in texts like on iOS. I miss that LOL

Sending GIFs over mms works, and reportedly receiving GIFs works too. If so, the only person I've ever tested it with.. the rom of android he used converted gifs to jpg before it got to my phone.
    12-11-2013 12:34 AM
    I chose it because of its simplicity. I'm getting tired of my droids and I wanted something that simply works. I just made sure when I got it that I kept my mind open to accepting a new os so I don't keep on comparing.
    snowmutt likes this.
    12-11-2013 12:53 AM
    Got the lumia 925 since it is company policy to use wp8 if you want to connect to the company exchange server.

I love the clean UI and the wp8 is speedy on low end hardware - but beside the gloves touch, clearBlack screen and low light camera - I cannot see anything my galaxy s3 kk doesn't do better (and many Things faster , should have waited for the quad core wp8) . And really try to use live mail, SkyDrive to get the true benefit (still thinks gmail/dropbox works better).

Especially I miss the between app possibility like start the Facebook app when pressing a fb link in the email app. Changing default app like the browser, a better keyboard (the wordbook in Danish is filled with words splitter wrongly in two), apps since many companies comes with android and IOS version first and perhaps a wp8 one. And the list goes on and on.

I would love ms to set the phone free so it can be a genuine SMARTphone (tasker for wp8 could Be great).

Sent from Nokia Lumia 925 using Tapatalk
    Ek-Balam likes this.
    12-11-2013 02:07 AM
    because I am a .NET Dev.

Don't want to switch to other languages. Im bored. ;D
    12-11-2013 05:56 AM
    for sure I choose windowsphone because Nokia.

I love taking photo with phone and Nokia provide good camera, then that's plus for me.

I never think how good windowsphone before, as long as its Nokia, I will buy it.
    but after try it, windowsphone is good, fast, and stable. I love it.
    12-11-2013 07:18 AM
    I trust both nokia and Microsoft. everyone have android or an iPhone but I choose wp since its unique and new user interface(also a new platform in the race ). it runs equally silky smooth on all hardware +1
    I opted 920 coz :- great camera,1gb ram,pure motion hd+ screen and it was a flagship phone at that time
    I can say that even after 1 year of usage it runs like it was out of the box yesterday(no lags whatsoever)
    will get future update of windows phone unlike wp7.x series +1
    I use windows 8 on my pc so it sync my photos, documents email, calendar,contacts
    be unique not a copycat
    12-11-2013 07:32 AM
    be unique not a copycat
    I think market share is around 5 % or so. That means one out of 20 people has a WP device. Also, thinking that a device makes you unique is silly. Most people would rather take a higher market share for better app support ;-)
    snowmutt likes this.
    12-11-2013 07:46 AM
    My reasons for choosing WP:
    - Integration and interoperability with the other MS products I use
    - It's not from Apple
    - It's not from Google
    - Nokia device and built-in apps
    psudotechzealot likes this.
    12-11-2013 08:29 AM
    Lumia hardware, one note synced via sky drive, full browser, and simplicity. I've not had a single environment since the windows mobile 5.5 days, so I thought I'd try to get back to it with windows phone 8, windows 7/8/8.1 and I'm looking to get an xbox 360 soon as well (now that they are cheap).
    12-11-2013 09:08 AM
    I think market share is around 5 % or so. That means one out of 20 people has a WP device. Also, thinking that a device makes you unique is silly. Most people would rather take a higher market share for better app support ;-)
    naa I could go for android but I didn't. I am happy with the apps present in the store. they are quality apps I don't care about quantity of apps . :) and wp store is becoming healthy
    12-11-2013 09:40 AM
    My 3rd wife bought me the original Zune for Christmas 2006. Later on I bought myself a Zune HD. I always said that if they ever made a phone based on the Zune software I would buy it. They did.
    snowmutt likes this.
    12-11-2013 09:45 AM
    - Security (this was the primary reason back when we got our first WP7)
    - Camera
    - Screen size
    - It's not an iPhone (see items 2 & 3 for why I stuck with WP over iPhone!)

Certainly, Windows Phone is not perfect, but when it came time to get a new phone I did consider Android and iPhone, but just liked WP more.

Things I'd like to see improved:
    - A flagship Lumia with a physical slider keyboard
    - OR bluetooth keyboard that would work with WP
    - OR add cursor arrow keys to the virtual keyboard
    - Ability to find WP accessories in stores (Even stores that have WPs for sale like Best Buy and Target don't have any WP accessories!) It'd be nice to be able to walk into Walmart and have different cases available or screen protectors or pouches or anything!
    - More customization of tiles (ability to create custom tiles for apps, ability to have more info show on tiles)
    - Better native photo organization options (ability to natively move photos into different albums)
    - Offline dictation
    - Ability to connect online through USB for large app/update downloads like WP7 could
    - Ability to save PDFs to phone, attach to email, etc

Overall, Windows Phone is just an easy to use phone with a great camera. There is a certain allure to being different.
    snowmutt likes this.
    12-11-2013 09:49 AM
    I wanted to move from blackberry/android..

So I started by camera, when I saw 920's camera against iphone5, nexus, htc one.. I just couldn't believe about how great that camera is..

But I was scared, but then I saw it was a nokia (reability) and windows phone seemed very fresh compared to ios or android.. And here I am :)
    snowmutt likes this.
    12-11-2013 10:21 AM
    hi
    im not that good with mobile phones, so i went to the carphone warehouse and asked for a phone that was easy to use, they showed me a Nokia 520.
    i thought oh no not another complicated phone. inside 5 minuets they had me hooked, it was so easy to use and everything i needed was on the front, the best part was you can unpin and re pin tiles, there's no way im going back to android,
    im sure it has its problems but as yet i can,t find any,
    i just dare anyone to try and take it away from me (lol)
    snowmutt and sumton like this.
    12-11-2013 10:24 AM
    I have an iPhone, HTC ONE, HTC Titan, Lumia 900 and a Lumia 1020. I like windows phone because its pretty simple and straight forward. It integrates well with all the other Microsoft Products that I own (Xbox 360/ONE, Surface 2, Windows Home server, Windows 8 HP Spectre Touchsmart UltraBook) . As a tech guy its really kind of cool the unique spin Microsoft put on a mobile OS. Visually its really beautiful to me. I like the flat airport sign, heavy topography look though, so its all subjective.

Windows Phone is cool, its just not close to being feature complete when compared to the others. I'm okay with that for now even though it sometimes annoys me after I've used my HTC ONE for a week. But they're getting there and I think their overall approach to how to implement a mobile OS is functionally a bit more useful and easy to comprehend for the average person.

NOKIA's camera tech was also a major point of interest to me. My iPhone took good pictures, my Titan took great pictures, my 900 took average pictures, my HTC ONE took mehhh pictures, but my Lumia 1020 takes amazing pictures. I like taking pictures so there's really only one Top of the line choice.

I never owned a Nokia product until the Lumia line and they really impressed me with their products, custom apps and customer service. So after owning my 900 and several Nokia headsets and a few other products I bought into windows phone.

But I'm different from most people. I like trying new tech. While windows phone is my favorite mobile OS, I can freely say that there are better Android phones like the HTC ONE out there. But even it couldn't keep me from Windows Phone permanently, thus I grabbed the 1020.

Windows Phone could really use the ability to intercept links and launch specific apps like it's android counterpart. It could also use a revamp of it's sharing tools so that more images, video and text are carried over to social media platforms when sharing web pages articles and web links. The Music app really needs on the go playlist creation and a consistent approach to downloading versus buying music with the XBOX music pass. Everyone knows that a notification center to manage Toast notificatioins is needed so there's not much more that needs to be added about that. These are changes that have all been rumored with With Windows Phone 8.1, so there's plenty of reason to be optimistic that we won't have to wait much longer.

Despite a few missing features, the way the system has implemented groups, lenses, live tiles, skydrive, office, XBOX and Bing is second to none. It's a very compelling package of hardware and services. The app catalog is coming along nicely so when I hear people speak of a lack of apps, now I know it's mostly them repeating what they've heard. Now it's just time for more great colorful devices and even better clever marketing. With Nokia's marketing and hardware in-house now, I expect great things for Windows Phone moving forward.
    Last edited by ChristianKing; 12-11-2013 at 01:27 PM.
    snowmutt and cckgz4 like this.
    12-11-2013 10:42 AM
    Let me be clear. I am a student from a middle class family(India). If i want i could have bought a htc one or a s4(not enuff rich to get a iPhone) but i don't like asking for money to anyone else, i don't have a job so i have to ask my dad or my cousin for money. And when i gave my 12 exam i wanted a new phone. My old trusted 5233 got a broken screen thank to a drunk driver.
    I simply didn't want to wast my dads money on a gadget which i might not use even a year.
    So i asked my cousing, gave some tuition and some other work managed to earn Rs 7000.
    So what should i buy? Micromax?karbon?kock off?
    My one friend is a mobile phone distributor child. Went to him tested some phone. He suggested me galaxy s duos. But around the corner one caught my attention was.
    One phone that caught my attention was Lumia 520. Nice looking rectangular (love the sex appeal) not like round a s s s duos. Didn't even asked him what this phone ran. I didn't know that even wp.existed that time.

I asked him if he could sell it ? He said No(it was still 2 week before official launce in India . After a bit of words, he gave it for Rs 7500 only. I paid him Rs 7000 he didn't even asked the 500 more lol. He was one of my best frnd. He gave me the device at the price they bought it.
    I had a bit camera key problem so i went back changed my phone again after 2 week.

So i am one of the first (if not the first) to have a Lumia 520. Lol

Sent from my Uuusumm Lumia 520 using Tapatalk
    snowmutt likes this.
    12-11-2013 11:53 AM
    The only reason i chose WP because its remarkably different from what other platforms have to offer..the whole concept!!!Be it UI,live tile concept, the smoothness, the feel..everything is so differently executed.The moment you choose WP you make yourself a member of a whole new different league which is so stylish and metro!!!

Sent from my RM-846_im_india_233 using Tapatalk
    Guytronic and snowmutt like this.
    12-11-2013 12:07 PM
    Why do you choose Windows Phone?

The simplicity of WP8
    Smart-phoning for a very low cost
    Got tired of my Android devices
    snowmutt likes this.
    12-11-2013 12:23 PM
    I switched b/c Android was laggy, buggy, had a terribly inconsistent UI, and got on my nerves every day even on my expensive flagship Sony Xperia SL. I really don't ever want to go back to an Android device, they are just so bad. I just wish WP would expand on features and apps so that I could drop my iPad mini as well.
    Guytronic likes this.
    12-11-2013 02:28 PM
    It just works better than iOS and Android. This coming from someone who has 2 devices each of the competitors. Currently sitting on top of 10 Lumia phones:-)
    12-11-2013 02:41 PM
    I chose a windows phone because its less popular and trendy.
    12-11-2013 03:07 PM
    I switched because the android OS was lagging and unstable. Having apps constantly run in the background was very frustrating since the OS was either getting slow or force closed some apps or was giving a message saying " not enough memory ". Bloat ware was all over the place. There aren't many head aches with wp8.
    sonus likes this.
    12-11-2013 03:41 PM
    I strongly disagree with your analysis.
    1. Code and algorithms being openly available means that bugs are more likely to be found and fixed. A good example is cryptographic standards. You can read a full description of the AES encryption algorithm, which is widely used in many kinds of secure systems (including Windows), here - http://csrc.nist.gov/publications/fi...7/fips-197.pdf . This is generally seen as making it more, not less, secure. This short essay is worth reading - https://www.schneier.com/essay-056.html .
    2. Security is more often based on secret keys (i.e. numbers) and secure hardware features (e.g. processors that will only execute code that is cryptographically authenticated, very secure memory). Relying on secret algorithms (i.e. computer code) is a bad idea as once they are leaked (and it only takes a single leak anywhere that code is stored or used) or derived by a hacker, any security inherent in the secrecy has gone.
    3. If I'm buying a secure system, I may have legal or commercial requirements to ensure it offers a sufficient level of security. How can I do that without assessing how it works?

This doesn't mean that open source software and other 'open' systems are inherently more secure, or that closed systems are less secure. But openness can certainly bring major security advantages, simply by allowing a system to be widely assessed by many experts.

EDIT: another advantage of open source systems is that it is easier to see whether any security flaws have *deliberately* been added to the software. It has been suggested that government security agencies have made companies do this, or even that some companies do it for their own commercial benefit. Hiding backdoors in open source software is much harder than in proprietary software.

Microsoft's products are not open sourced, but the source codes are peer reviewed. MS hires third party security firms to analyze the source and look for exploits or bad practices.

This isn't better OR WORSE than open source, actually. Making something open source doesn't mean it will be reviewed by competent or professional programmers. Even in major Linux kernels, exploits are found in ancient bits of code no one looked at for years.

With closed source peer reviews, experts are looking at every line of code, but they can't tell anyone about any backdoors or other shady things.
    12-11-2013 03:59 PM
    - Security (this was the primary reason back when we got our first WP7)

- Camera

- Screen size

- It's not an iPhone (see items 2 & 3 for why I stuck with WP over iPhone!)

Certainly, Windows Phone is not perfect, but when it came time to get a new phone I did consider Android and iPhone, but just liked WP more.

Things I'd like to see improved:

- A flagship Lumia with a physical slider keyboard

- OR bluetooth keyboard that would work with WP

- OR add cursor arrow keys to the virtual keyboard

- Ability to find WP accessories in stores (Even stores that have WPs for sale like Best Buy and Target don't have any WP accessories!) It'd be nice to be able to walk into Walmart and have different cases available or screen protectors or pouches or anything!

- More customization of tiles (ability to create custom tiles for apps, ability to have more info show on tiles)

- Better native photo organization options (ability to natively move photos into different albums)

- Offline dictation

- Ability to connect online through USB for large app/update downloads like WP7 could

- Ability to save PDFs to phone, attach to email, etc

Overall, Windows Phone is just an easy to use phone with a great camera. There is a certain allure to being different.

offline dictation is a setting, and several apps can save PDF and email them.
    12-11-2013 04:01 PM
    I think my affair with WP all started with the original Zune 30GB (got two of those!), and then I got the Zune 80 GB, the Zune 120 GB, Zune HD 32 GB and the Zune HD 64 GB. Could never understand why anyone would prefer an iPod back then to the infinitely beautiful Zunes! And then WP came along. It was a natural evolution for me :-)
    snowmutt likes this.
    12-11-2013 04:35 PM
106 1234 ...