01-08-2014 05:54 PM
106 ... 2345
tools
    I came to WP chiefly because of familiarity with and loyalty to Microsoft, whose desktop and Office Suite products I've used for the entirety of my working career. This business relationship began before any of the earlier iterations of WP, so for much of this time I have maintained a parallel familiarity with an, affinity for and loyal to Blackberry phones and OS, which I still maintain. Blackberry has been a constant and dependable presence in my work and life. BB10 OS continues to be my most favored UI and OS (and I have familiarity also with IOS and Android). But events and the market being what they are, I did begin to explore fallback plans if this dependability should come into serious question in the future. For my needs and preference, it is not enough that my phone be still functioning; I want a device and an OS that will continue to evolve and refine and grow.

Visually, W7 first caught my eye and then interest as an alternative. By now, most of my desktops have migrated to Windows 8.1, so the metro-tile conventions have become increasingly familiar to me, and they held out the promise, in their visual similarity, of greater and more seamless integration with my desktops, my Surface Pro and my laptops. As of now, and in this regard, WP is still more promise than delivery, but I'm hopeful that WP 8.1 will be a great leap forward when its released next year. As of right now, I have better integration with and control of my Microsoft related files and programs with my BB Z30 than I do with my Lumia 1520, notwithstanding the obvious.

My specific excuse to actually get a WP was to evaluate the platform for a partner, but my experience with the 1520 quickly confirmed that for me, WP is a more intuitive, smoother and visually pleasing UI than either Android or IOS. And it really stands apart, as for all my appreciation of BB10, it visually is not all that different than either the way most people set up Android or the way IOS is imposed on its customers. There is an appreciable sense and feel of freshness with WP. It has vast potential. I hope for better integration as WP continues to mature, but there are few other drawbacks for me in using it, and a whole lot to recommend it.
    Guytronic likes this.
    12-13-2013 02:25 PM
    A lot of times they shake their heads a scowl
    Very good points. You were in the Windows/office ecosystem and it was a natural progression for you to get a Windows Phone to complement your usage needs. Not many people I know say that and, now that I have thought of it, I realized how most people who loved the Windows Phone platform are those who most likely wanted to keep the familiar Windows office apps in their lives on their phones as well. This is an understated feature of Windows Phone that I must say resonates with me too.

Of course I do agree with your points on the Metro UI too.

Keep the passion for the platform alive!

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5
    12-13-2013 07:57 PM
    With the failure starting from Bold 5, I wouldn't be interested in investing $450 on a dead platform.
    Dead here means, developers are losing interest on the platform, besides a few people I saw had Q5 and Z10 were weeping tears, because the phone is laggy like hell and unstable like a car falling from a cliff.
    I would disagree with lag being on the Z10 and the Q5, because I have used them and experienced little to no lag on pretty much everything I have done on them. As for stability I will say it's definitely much better now with the 10.2 update for BB10 phones, but that's because the platform is relatively new and still needs to keep its bearings, and hopefully improve to the level of its competing counterparts.

I would agree that Windows Phone is more polished an experience, but I wouldn't say the Z10 or the other BB10 phones are bad.

12-13-2013 08:02 PM
    Got my 520 cause it was free with my provider. Have it for two days now and I have to say I love it.

Main reason to choose WP...security and handset prices.

My other phone is a Legacy BB Curve, which I"LL update to a Z10 soon.

Got my hands on a Huawei P6 y'day, and even though the phone has really got the wow-factor it's now for sale, I really can't cope with the s***ty Android.

Sent from my RM-914_eu_hungary_422 using Tapatalk
    12-14-2013 07:01 AM
    I would disagree with lag being on the Z10 and the Q5, because I have used them and experienced little to no lag on pretty much everything I have done on them. As for stability I will say it's definitely much better now with the 10.2 update for BB10 phones, but that's because the platform is relatively new and still needs to keep its bearings, and hopefully improve to the level of its competing counterparts.

I would agree that Windows Phone is more polished an experience, but I wouldn't say the Z10 or the other BB10 phones are bad.

Am not saying bad, its just not good compared to others ;)
    12-14-2013 07:33 AM
    Am not saying bad, its just not good compared to others ;)
    No worries, I get your drift...

12-14-2013 07:57 AM
    No worries, I get your drift...

Hah, I don't even have a driving license ;)
    12-14-2013 08:37 AM
    1- Because iTunes is a fat, buggy, unintuitive piece of blubber that junks up my hard drive! I have a lot of music. Simply put, it's a pain to get music into iTunes and onto the iPhone. It's a pain to get anything onto the iPhone. Playlists are essential. Playlists should work between different programs. iTunes makes working with playlists agonizing.
    Contrast that to Windows phone. Plug in to usb and use it like a flash drive. Done. Or use the clean, simple, and fast WP sync program. Dump your music files on it, dump your playlist on it. It just works.

Now I can uninstall iTunes useless junk off my pc. Oh how much space was freed! How much time now freed!

2-The nokia 1020 camera is absolutely amazing. I wanted to get a little into photography. Then I realized my iPhone 4s camera sucked. The 1020 does fantastic as a point-and-shoot. Spend a little time with the different photo apps and learn to use the controls and you can make some amazing photos. Better than my girlfriends Galaxy Note 3. Try the cinemagraph app it's crazy cool.

There's a couple things that seem like they would be easy to implement so I don't understand why Microsoft hasn't included them.
    1-Windows PC's, xbox, surface tabs, they can all access network shares on the wifi network. Why can't I browse the network to the shared files folder on my pc from my Windows phone?

2-The back button is great. Takes you right back to where you were regardless if it was a different app. Where is the forward button? That would be really useful.
    Speedygi likes this.
    12-14-2013 01:14 PM
    Cameras Metro UI and integration of Windows Platform
    Speedygi likes this.
    12-14-2013 10:44 PM
    Speed, fluidity and stability
    Speedygi likes this.
    12-14-2013 10:52 PM
    Fast and reliable OS.
    Excellent camera.
    Nokia make.
    Speedygi likes this.
    12-16-2013 12:42 AM
    I choose WP because I fancy Steve Ballmer.
    12-22-2013 08:12 AM
    I got 520 recently some days ago, and I couldn't be so happier. i was so tired of Android, it's buggy, and simply a mess.
    I love the design, it's minimalistic, and i believe that it's way much safer... and for a low-cost smarphone, omg, it's so fast, i can't even imagine how more fast are the high ones like 920.

For along time i had my eyes on lumia, but since everyone was saying that was "crap" because it's windows and has only a few apps, i did a research and it's completely bull****. Even if people don't have the official apps yet, there's always some alternatives and even better than the original lol. I'm really hoping for WP 8.1 to arrive and i believe that Microsoft it's going to do his best to make developers do more and more apps for windows, and believe me, i'm seeing many people running away from Android now so it's the opportunity for Microsoft to catch more users and catch the BUZZ, and with all this, automatically developers will develop faster, just give it time. But Microsoft can't stop, and for 2013 I can see they are working like dogs.

I also believe that in the future, WP probably it's going to be the best smartphone, and as popular as IOS or even more?! there's something about Lumia WP, to be honest. i just feel that everything it's so organized and secure as IOS, and if Microsoft don't improve this year, it's going to be a shame. It's a pressure, but they have to catch the opportunity now that the BUZZ is taking over and more people are buying it (running away from Android). I hope developers collaborate for the success.
    Speedygi likes this.
    01-03-2014 09:31 PM
    Firstly, because it is nokia and I wanted to try out something different
    Speedygi likes this.
    01-03-2014 10:02 PM
    I didn't choose WP, but I chose the Nokia Lumia series.

I wanted a phone that works well as a phone like the Moto X, but it isn't available in our country. I already had the Nexus 7 2013 and it serves as my primary gaming and media consumption device. If I were to have an Android smartphone with a faster processor than my tablet, I may be tempted in using the phone for games and my tablet's functionality would be reduced. So I didn't bother for the current Android flagships.

Another reason is Android manufacturers are deeply entranced with the specs race and marketing gimmicks. It led to consumer confusion. Most consumers wanted a phone or a phablet so that they can play games with it, but will result in a heavier drain of battery. Only a few thinks like me who wanted to isolate a tablet as a primary gaming device and his smartphone as a daily driver except for gaming.

I chose to have a Nokia Lumia flagship because first, no Android phone nor iPhone can match the camera AND camera functionality of Nokia Lumia 1020 and 1520. I also wanted a phone which captures sound with a good quality since I'm a music person and Nokia Rich Recording may come handy for some circumstances. The next decisive function is the Lumia's telephony. GSMArena always review the People Hub as "the best social phonebook up to date." Then you have the Messages Hub that integrate SMS with FB Chat messages (looks like this was copied by Google with their latest Hangouts update). Other factors such as pinning a contact on your home screen and very clear call quality handle daily telephony with ease.

I didn't really like WP at first but I admire the OS's low processor and RAM requirement to run smoothly, unlike most Android phones and tablets. The keyword here is 'smooth'; 'fast' may be more applicable to current Android flagships and some mid-tier devices (like my girlfriend's 3-month Sony Xperia V that still runs fast). I also like the regular updates that they send on most WP devices, unlike on most Android phones where manufacturer skinning and market strategies hinder or stop sending updates to most of their phones. And I think WP's Live Tiles, which are like widgets in Android, are very functional yet not very heavy on battery usage.
    01-04-2014 02:43 AM
    The camera of my L1020, offline navigation and Nokia MixRadio

Sent from my Lumia 1020 using Tapatalk
    01-04-2014 06:23 AM
    Awesome

Sent from my SCH-R740C using WPCentral Forums mobile app
    Speedygi likes this.
    01-04-2014 11:58 PM
    Fast and easy to use. Everything is easy to access. A may not have all the apps like others but has all the apps I need. I love Microsoft by the way
    Speedygi likes this.
    01-05-2014 12:24 AM
    Fresh break away from the "Me too" OS's, Cloud integration, Cam, Nokia quality (Lumia 920๐Ÿ’–), Glove compatibility, Xbox gaming integration & so on.....๐Ÿ˜Š
    Jorlon and Speedygi like this.
    01-05-2014 12:27 AM
    It has charm.
    Speedygi likes this.
    01-05-2014 12:31 AM
    Fresh break away from the "Me too" OS's, Cloud integration, Cam, Nokia quality (Lumia 920๐Ÿ’–), Glove compatibility, Xbox gaming integration & so on.....๐Ÿ˜Š
    pretty much the same reason I choose 1520. Never knew windows would be better than ios till a few weeks ago. ๐Ÿ˜†
    Speedygi and MetaG85 like this.
    01-05-2014 12:33 AM
    Different. Better. Fluid. Work email and Calendar are flawless. No crashed app yet:)
    Speedygi likes this.
    01-05-2014 12:38 AM
    I call iOS the Tired OS:) The amount of plagiarism in 7.0 is beyond shameless :)
    Jorlon, Speedygi and MetaG85 like this.
    01-05-2014 12:39 AM
    I love WP8. It's fluid, has a budding ecosystem, and is a breath of fresh air.

I really appreciate choice, and enjoy all platforms, but I do like where WP8 is headed.
    Muessig, cckgz4, Speedygi and 1 others like this.
    01-05-2014 01:05 AM
    Price ($130 for the 520) and I like(d) the Nokia brand.
    Speedygi likes this.
    01-06-2014 09:15 PM
106 ... 2345