Why do you choose Windows Phone?

Speedygi

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
I chose Windows Phone because I'm actually one of the very few who likes the Metro UI. I think the whole live tile home screen looks really sleek.

I'm also a big fan of the cameras they have on these phones. Impressive.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I also like the concept of live tiles on your start screen. I've always been a Microsoft guy and now more than ever I'm really invested in their ecosystem. I still use other platforms but that's mainly because of a couple apps not yet available on Windows 8.1/WP8. To me the OS is refreshing and pleasing to the eye. The moment I saw a video about it I was hooked!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I was using Windows Mobile before, and before that I used Pocket PCs. I didn't like that they killed about 80 % of the features when switching to WP7 and I didn't like that they killed WP7 (plus Zune, these madmen!) short after, but for some irrational reasons I can't comprehend I am still using WP.

Rafael Yousuf

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
Open-Source software is like showering with the door open, Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 are very secure, fast and have great tech support. FYI Java and adobe flash are making windows vulnerable as a recent report said so.

Rafael Yousuf

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
I chose Windows Phone because I'm actually one of the very few who likes the Metro UI. I think the whole live tile home screen looks really sleek.

I'm also a big fan of the cameras they have on these phones. Impressive.

I like metro style too, my next software will be a metro style replica security software package created in wpf

TheJoester09

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
To me, everything about it just feels awesome. When WP7 was released I had an HTC Touch Pro 2. I was so fed up with Windows Mobile by then that I was all set to go with Android for my next phone...but then I played with an HD7, and I had to have it. I was blown away from the moment it first booted up, and I haven't looked back since. :)

Sure, it may have it's problems, but no OS is perfect, and I feel like Microsoft is building towards something great with the W8/WP8/Xbox One ecosystem.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Open-Source software is like showering with the door open, Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 are very secure, fast and have great tech support. FYI Java and adobe flash are making windows vulnerable as a recent report said so.

Please explain for first statement.
Note that Abode Flash is not open source software.

rakesh1995

Banned
May 26, 2013
Visit site
I don't follow. Simply because the 520 is super cheap?

Sent from my RM-941_apac_sea_203 using Tapatalk

because at this price nothing comes close..
Best processor,best screen,best battery,vest quality and more apps. A 10k droid cant even run 10k apps

Sent from my Uuusumm Lumia 520 using Tapatalk

Speedygi

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
because at this price nothing comes close..

Best processor,best screen,best battery,vest quality and more apps. A 10k droid cant even run 10k apps

One caveat though, wouldn't the new Moto G upend the 520 soon? I keep hearing good stuff about that phone...

rakesh1995

Banned
May 26, 2013
Visit site
One caveat though, wouldn't the new Moto G upend the 520 soon? I keep hearing good stuff about that phone...

Nope moto g cost twice than Lumia 520.
In usa Lumia sells for 50$, moto g sells for 150$
In Asia Lumia sells for 130$ , g would be about 200$

Also with just 8gb storage AND in developing countries EXPANDABLE STORAGE IS MUST which luckly moto g don't have. Lol

rakesh1995

Banned
May 26, 2013
Visit site
There is a reason i say uuusumm Lumia 520 next i will buy a uuuusummm Lumia 725 if it come with dual sim

Speedygi

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
Nope moto g cost twice than Lumia 520.

In usa Lumia sells for 50$, moto g sells for 150$

In Asia Lumia sells for 130$ , g would be about 200$

Also with just 8gb storage AND in developing countries EXPANDABLE STORAGE IS MUST which luckly moto g don't have. Lol

For the price, I think the 520 is indeed unbeatable.

cj-is-a-player

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
The Aesthetic. Nothing comes close to a Windows Phone 8 screen and aesthetic. Having a clean user interface and a responsive and capable operating system are what I desired when switching from Android. Android was so buggy and inconsistent. Plus Windows Phone works out the box for enterprise/work. [L920]

Rafael Yousuf

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
Please explain for first statement.
Note that Abode Flash is not open source software.

it is very simple, if you are trying to provide security,to your customer you should hide your code so other people won't see the tricks you have done to achieve that level of security and so it wouldn't be easily hacked. Linux for example claims it is very secure but if it is open source then any one can get a copy of the code and read through it to discover a way to hack it.

When it comes to Java putting windows in risk, well that is normal it is open source and adobe flash is closed source but the company didn't do enough testing I think so there are alot of loopholes in it that hackers are using to target windows machines.

That is what I meant

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
it is very simple, if you are trying to provide security,to your customer you should hide your code so other people won't see the tricks you have done to achieve that level of security and so it wouldn't be easily hacked. Linux for example claims it is very secure but if it is open source then any one can get a copy of the code and read through it to discover a way to hack it.

I strongly disagree with your analysis.
1. Code and algorithms being openly available means that bugs are more likely to be found and fixed. A good example is cryptographic standards. You can read a full description of the AES encryption algorithm, which is widely used in many kinds of secure systems (including Windows), here - http://csrc.nist.gov/publications/fips/fips197/fips-197.pdf . This is generally seen as making it more, not less, secure. This short essay is worth reading - https://www.schneier.com/essay-056.html .
2. Security is more often based on secret keys (i.e. numbers) and secure hardware features (e.g. processors that will only execute code that is cryptographically authenticated, very secure memory). Relying on secret algorithms (i.e. computer code) is a bad idea as once they are leaked (and it only takes a single leak anywhere that code is stored or used) or derived by a hacker, any security inherent in the secrecy has gone.
3. If I'm buying a secure system, I may have legal or commercial requirements to ensure it offers a sufficient level of security. How can I do that without assessing how it works?

This doesn't mean that open source software and other 'open' systems are inherently more secure, or that closed systems are less secure. But openness can certainly bring major security advantages, simply by allowing a system to be widely assessed by many experts.

EDIT: another advantage of open source systems is that it is easier to see whether any security flaws have *deliberately* been added to the software. It has been suggested that government security agencies have made companies do this, or even that some companies do it for their own commercial benefit. Hiding backdoors in open source software is much harder than in proprietary software.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077