Why do you choose Windows Phone?

rakesh1995

Banned
May 26, 2013
Visit site
Let me be clear. I am a student from a middle class family(India). If i want i could have bought a htc one or a s4(not enuff rich to get a iPhone) but i don't like asking for money to anyone else, i don't have a job so i have to ask my dad or my cousin for money. And when i gave my 12 exam i wanted a new phone. My old trusted 5233 got a broken screen thank to a drunk driver.
I simply didn't want to wast my dads money on a gadget which i might not use even a year.
So i asked my cousing, gave some tuition and some other work managed to earn Rs 7000.
So what should i buy? Micromax?karbon?kock off?
My one friend is a mobile phone distributor child. Went to him tested some phone. He suggested me galaxy s duos. But around the corner one caught my attention was.
One phone that caught my attention was Lumia 520. Nice looking rectangular (love the sex appeal) not like round a s s s duos. Didn't even asked him what this phone ran. I didn't know that even wp.existed that time.

I asked him if he could sell it ? He said No(it was still 2 week before official launce in India . After a bit of words, he gave it for Rs 7500 only. I paid him Rs 7000 he didn't even asked the 500 more lol. He was one of my best frnd. He gave me the device at the price they bought it.
I had a bit camera key problem so i went back changed my phone again after 2 week.

So i am one of the first (if not the first) to have a Lumia 520. Lol

Sent from my Uuusumm Lumia 520 using Tapatalk

visnit14

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
The only reason i chose WP because its remarkably different from what other platforms have to offer..the whole concept!!!Be it UI,live tile concept, the smoothness, the feel..everything is so differently executed.The moment you choose WP you make yourself a member of a whole new different league which is so stylish and metro!!!

Sent from my RM-846_im_india_233 using Tapatalk

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Why do you choose Windows Phone?

The simplicity of WP8
Smart-phoning for a very low cost
Got tired of my Android devices

sonus

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
I switched b/c Android was laggy, buggy, had a terribly inconsistent UI, and got on my nerves every day even on my expensive flagship Sony Xperia SL. I really don't ever want to go back to an Android device, they are just so bad. I just wish WP would expand on features and apps so that I could drop my iPad mini as well.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
It just works better than iOS and Android. This coming from someone who has 2 devices each of the competitors. Currently sitting on top of 10 Lumia phones:)

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I switched because the android OS was lagging and unstable. Having apps constantly run in the background was very frustrating since the OS was either getting slow or force closed some apps or was giving a message saying " not enough memory ". Bloat ware was all over the place. There aren't many head aches with wp8.

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I strongly disagree with your analysis.
1. Code and algorithms being openly available means that bugs are more likely to be found and fixed. A good example is cryptographic standards. You can read a full description of the AES encryption algorithm, which is widely used in many kinds of secure systems (including Windows), here - http://csrc.nist.gov/publications/fips/fips197/fips-197.pdf . This is generally seen as making it more, not less, secure. This short essay is worth reading - https://www.schneier.com/essay-056.html .
2. Security is more often based on secret keys (i.e. numbers) and secure hardware features (e.g. processors that will only execute code that is cryptographically authenticated, very secure memory). Relying on secret algorithms (i.e. computer code) is a bad idea as once they are leaked (and it only takes a single leak anywhere that code is stored or used) or derived by a hacker, any security inherent in the secrecy has gone.
3. If I'm buying a secure system, I may have legal or commercial requirements to ensure it offers a sufficient level of security. How can I do that without assessing how it works?

This doesn't mean that open source software and other 'open' systems are inherently more secure, or that closed systems are less secure. But openness can certainly bring major security advantages, simply by allowing a system to be widely assessed by many experts.

EDIT: another advantage of open source systems is that it is easier to see whether any security flaws have *deliberately* been added to the software. It has been suggested that government security agencies have made companies do this, or even that some companies do it for their own commercial benefit. Hiding backdoors in open source software is much harder than in proprietary software.

Microsoft's products are not open sourced, but the source codes are peer reviewed. MS hires third party security firms to analyze the source and look for exploits or bad practices.

This isn't better OR WORSE than open source, actually. Making something open source doesn't mean it will be reviewed by competent or professional programmers. Even in major Linux kernels, exploits are found in ancient bits of code no one looked at for years.

With closed source peer reviews, experts are looking at every line of code, but they can't tell anyone about any backdoors or other shady things.

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
- Security (this was the primary reason back when we got our first WP7)

- Camera

- Screen size

- It's not an iPhone (see items 2 & 3 for why I stuck with WP over iPhone!)

Certainly, Windows Phone is not perfect, but when it came time to get a new phone I did consider Android and iPhone, but just liked WP more.

Things I'd like to see improved:

- A flagship Lumia with a physical slider keyboard

- OR bluetooth keyboard that would work with WP

- OR add cursor arrow keys to the virtual keyboard

- Ability to find WP accessories in stores (Even stores that have WPs for sale like Best Buy and Target don't have any WP accessories!) It'd be nice to be able to walk into Walmart and have different cases available or screen protectors or pouches or anything!

- More customization of tiles (ability to create custom tiles for apps, ability to have more info show on tiles)

- Better native photo organization options (ability to natively move photos into different albums)

- Offline dictation

- Ability to connect online through USB for large app/update downloads like WP7 could

- Ability to save PDFs to phone, attach to email, etc

Overall, Windows Phone is just an easy to use phone with a great camera. There is a certain allure to being different. :cool:

offline dictation is a setting, and several apps can save PDF and email them.

Kaymd

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I think my affair with WP all started with the original Zune 30GB (got two of those!), and then I got the Zune 80 GB, the Zune 120 GB, Zune HD 32 GB and the Zune HD 64 GB. Could never understand why anyone would prefer an iPod back then to the infinitely beautiful Zunes! And then WP came along. It was a natural evolution for me :)

Jessica Lares

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I bought my 520 at the end of August. It was after Google pushed out a faulty Google Play update that made a few phones go crazy. It made my phone lag to the point that I couldn't even unlock it to make a phone call. I don't care too much for speed/smoothness, but that got on my nerves and it was scary. If I had to dial 911 or something, my phone was basically useless for that. I was just about to start another semester at college, and didn't need to find myself without a phone.

This was my second Android device on a two-year contract. My original Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket started falling apart after 6 months of use and the camera lenses was punctured.

I wasn't going to go Android again, and I didn't want to get a feature phone since I'm stuck with having a data plan. So, the 520 was really the only good choice left as I leave the $200+ purchases for Apple products only.

The Windows Phone app works well on my Mac, and lets me sync whatever I need in and out of it. UC Browser is much, much nicer than Google Chrome and works way faster too. The OS is nice too, I like the BIG fonts and the fact that the typeface is much thicker than on iOS and Android. I also like the notification counts on the lock screen.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I like it because Windows Phone is serious and it is playful when it wants to be. But not playful like Mario Bros playful. Playful while staying classy... like me.

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
-Simplicity
-Clutter Free
-Lagless (Even after months of rugged use)
-Easy to use, with minimal design (I simply love minimal designs, they are amazing)
-Long term support from OS maker
Many other reasons which I am yet to find out.

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
I bought my 520 at the end of August. It was after Google pushed out a faulty Google Play update that made a few phones go crazy. It made my phone lag to the point that I couldn't even unlock it to make a phone call. I don't care too much for speed/smoothness, but that got on my nerves and it was scary. If I had to dial 911 or something, my phone was basically useless for that. I was just about to start another semester at college, and didn't need to find myself without a phone.

This was my second Android device on a two-year contract. My original Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket started falling apart after 6 months of use and the camera lenses was punctured.

I wasn't going to go Android again, and I didn't want to get a feature phone since I'm stuck with having a data plan. So, the 520 was really the only good choice left as I leave the $200+ purchases for Apple products only.

The Windows Phone app works well on my Mac, and lets me sync whatever I need in and out of it. UC Browser is much, much nicer than Google Chrome and works way faster too. The OS is nice too, I like the BIG fonts and the fact that the typeface is much thicker than on iOS and Android. I also like the notification counts on the lock screen.

I could barely maintain speed on any droid for more than 2-3 weeks, it got a flat tire which I had to drag endlessly unless I formatted the device which makes the whole thing pointless, I mean who buys a dual core phone (back then its best), loads some simple apps and formats it because it lags!?

Windows wins the game when its about speed, it easily breaks the record of Usain Bolt out of the water!

Speedygi

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
I could barely maintain speed on any droid for more than 2-3 weeks, it got a flat tire which I had to drag endlessly unless I formatted the device which makes the whole thing pointless, I mean who buys a dual core phone (back then its best), loads some simple apps and formats it because it lags!?

Windows wins the game when its about speed, it easily breaks the record of Usain Bolt out of the water!

How ironic that Usain Bolt uses Blackberry these days...ha

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I was a WM user and enthusiast back in the day. I was on Verizon, and WP was originally released exclusively on AT&T in the US. I couldn't wait until it came to Verizon. However, I had recently moved to a different state, to a more populated area with much better carrier choices. I began to look around. I discovered that I could go prepaid and get my wife a smartphone as well (she had a feature phone on Verizon), and cut our bill in half. The only option at that time for affordable prepaid devices were Android. I reluctantly got us each an LG Optimus V on Virgin Mobile. After using it for awhile and seeing a colleague with his WP7, I wasn't impressed with WP anymore. But admittedly, it was quite bare at release.

About a year ago, I decided to try a WP. I still had an interest in it even though I was fully invested in the Google ecosystem by then. I started out with an unlocked Lumia 710. It was a great device! However, I could never get over the missing features & apps I had become used to. The way I used a smartphone, even my trusty little Optimus V, could not be done on a WP. Since the 710 I had a 920, a 521 (I used to be on T-Mobile; I'm now on my 3rd prepaid carrier), and now I have a 520. I've still not totally jumped in with WP, although I tried a couple times. I currently use the 520 as my 2nd phone, but I'm keeping it to see firsthand what 8.1 brings to the table. I'm still hoping I can make the jump sometime in the future. Although now that I use Nexus devices, WP would have to make a pretty big jump! :confused: I pay full price for my phones since I'm on prepaid, and it's hard for anybody to compete with the value of Nexus devices. Apple doesn't even try!

In usa Lumia sells for 50$, moto g sells for 150$
In Asia Lumia sells for 130$ , g would be about 200$

The price you quoted for the 520 in Asia is closer to what the unlocked 520 costs in the US. The $50 520 is the US is locked to AT&T. The unlocked version costs around $150 - $160 the last I checked. The Moto G is also unlocked. So in the US the Moto G costs $179, and an equivalent Lumia 520 costs $153.95 (on Amazon). Not too much price difference.

Speedygi

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
If only Windows Phone had BBM, it would have been the perfect phone...but, well, I don't think everyone can get what they want when they want it, it's just life.

Sent from my RM-941_apac_sea_203 using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss