Will Microsoft ignore NON-USA market?

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
To an extent, you can't blame Microsoft for ignoring Asia. Asia ignores Microsoft, especially when it comes to video games. They just don't touch the Xbox, never really have. They prefer to be racial/geographical loyalists, so you see popularity for brands like Sony and Nintendo for games, then Samsung, ZTE, and whoever else for mobile devices. Microsoft doesn't need to waste resources on an Asian market that doesn't care about them.

Europe is another story, and they should look to improve their services over there. Europe's adopted Windows Phone better than the US, even is the Xbox doesn't reign supreme there, necessarily. Europe is worth the effort, and continuing to work in the emerging markets like India and Mexico for Windows Phone also makes sense. The rest of Asia (outside of India)? It's not as-promising an outlook, so I wouldn't care if Microsoft didn't put a bunch of resources into those markets.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
1-so why doesn't Ms provide bing reward in
India and other countries to allow people buy apps from store. It being a virtual currency is free from exchange rate thus free from government interferences. I cant see any logic in it.

3- about x box music- they have already licences to sell music. Doesn't matter which country. Licensed music can be sold every wee just like DVD's.

4- Microsoft has not bought any carrier billing support in India or any other country. Where as NOKIA HAS DONE IT. apps from nokia collection support carrier billig. It must for India as MS doesn't accept credit card and debit card from many bank across India, people will not just make a new bank account just to get apps.
If nokia can then why MS didn't
WP market share is literally high India.
And were we the hard core follower who gave the first base of a stupid wp7 os.

Ms is trying to be next apple. Heck even apple is on the way to hell

Sent from my Uuusumm Lumia 520 using Tapatalk

Incorrect, a DVD in the US is not the same as a DVD in Europe. I have a French version of Batman Begins on DVD I won at McDonalds in Paris. Guess what, I can't play it in my DVD/BluRay player here in the states...

Case in point...
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD_region_code

Again, there are cross border complications in media rights, offering sales, etc. Europe has specifically acknowledged the difficulties and is working to improve that in their region.
http://mobile.theverge.com/2012/7/11/3151286/eu-international-music-licensing-reforms

India banned people (peer to peer) from using PayPal because PayPal was operating like a bank (holding/exchanging money for customers) but was not operating as a part of the governments strict banking regulations.

Like I said, there are complications the average consumer doesn't understand or isn't completely unaware of when operating internationally. I'm not saying it's the entire reason they're missing services in other countries. But it's certainly a significant factor.

Last edited:

DBZo07

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Good and bad news altogether..
Good for consumers in India,
Bad for nokia-Microsoft deal..
Mitigation of tax liability is possible, so the bad news isn't bad too.. Its legal obligation which any country may impose..

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
You can't say "of course not!" in this case. Yes, it makes sense for that to be true, but Microsoft's approach so far does not make any sense.

• After three years, Microsoft still refuses to enable its podcast player globally.
  • The English (UK) language still fails to capitalise a single I.
  • Microsoft continues to offer awful prices on its media offerings. I find that in Australia, music and video often cost twice or more than competitors.
  • Nokia services are still only subsidised for non-Nokia devices in ~10 countries.
  • Search improvements did not roll out to other regions, but setting your search region to the US gives you the new features immediately.
  • Bing and its maps continues to be shameful outside of the US, and it can't rely on HERE anymore.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Incorrect, a DVD in the US is not the same as a DVD in Europe. I have a French version of Batman Begins on DVD I won at McDonalds in Paris. Guess what, I can't play it in my DVD/BluRay player here in the states...

Case in point...
DVD region code - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Again, there are cross border complications in media rights, offering sales, etc. Europe has specifically acknowledged the difficulties and is working to improve that in their region.
EU proposes reforms to simplify cross-border music licensing | The Verge

India banned people (peer to peer) from using PayPal because PayPal was operating like a bank (holding/exchanging money for customers) but was not operating as a part of the governments strict banking regulations.

Like I said, there are complications the average consumer doesn't understand or isn't completely unaware of when operating internationally. I'm not saying it's the entire reason they're missing services in other countries. But it's certainly a significant factor.

Remember when Spotify started? It was UK, not US. Spotify needed to sort the licensing issues before it launched in the US.

Vikram Dinesh

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
My two cents on this topic. There was a local scout feature on the old Maps app. Why was this feature disabled for India/Asia? If I set my phone's region to India that feature would disappear and would appear when the region was set to the US. The thing was that this feature worked great even in India. Why was such a simple service from MS disabled? There are no licensing issues with this. This was data that they already had on Bing maps.

The same thing happened with the podcasts feature in the Store. Why could we not have access to the free podcasts at least? I can understand licensing issues with paid podcasts and Xbox music. But free podcasts?

Somebody mentioned something about the Xbox not being popular in Asia. The only reason for this was that none of the Xbox services were available to us besides games that we bought from physical stores. Heck MS hardly ever made any effort to market the Xbox properly at least in India.

Now let me talk about MS hardware. They had some amazing hardware available in the form of keyboards and mice but sadly none of the good ones were available in India. Where as Logitech releases the latest products in India no matter what the cost.

MS has always ignored India/Asia and it still continues to do so. Oh and don't get me wrong. I am a MS fan who disabled all my other accounts the day I got my Lumia 920.

Oh and even today we don't even have a tentative launch date as to when the Xbox One will make it to India. Heck even the first gen Surface and Surface RT are still not officially available over here and this is when they have already started selling the Surface 2 & Surface Pro 2 in Europe and America.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
My two cents on this topic. There was a local scout feature on the old Maps app. Why was this feature disabled for India/Asia? If I set my phone's region to India that feature would disappear and would appear when the region was set to the US. The thing was that this feature worked great even in India. Why was such a simple service from MS disabled? There are no licensing issues with this. This was data that they already had on Bing maps.

The same thing happened with the podcasts feature in the Store. Why could we not have access to the free podcasts at least? I can understand licensing issues with paid podcasts and Xbox music. But free podcasts?

Somebody mentioned something about the Xbox not being popular in Asia. The only reason for this was that none of the Xbox services were available to us besides games that we bought from physical stores. Heck MS hardly ever made any effort to market the Xbox properly at least in India.

Now let me talk about MS hardware. They had some amazing hardware available in the form of keyboards and mice but sadly none of the good ones were available in India. Where as Logitech releases the latest products in India no matter what the cost.

MS has always ignored India/Asia and it still continues to do so. Oh and don't get me wrong. I am a MS fan who disabled all my other accounts the day I got my Lumia 920.

Oh and even today we don't even have a tentative launch date as to when the Xbox One will make it to India.

I've never purchased any Microsoft hardware other than an Xbox controller for my PC.

I like Logitech and have bought 2 of their mice.

My latest mouse is a gaming mouse from Roccat, a German company.

Vikram Dinesh

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I've never purchased any Microsoft hardware other than an Xbox controller for my PC.

I like Logitech and have bought 2 of their mice.

My latest mouse is a gaming mouse from Roccat, a German company.

How much I wanted the MS Sidewinder series keyboard and mouse. They were a great pieces of hardware. Sadly they were never sold here in India.

milanpatel2004

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
How much I wanted the MS Sidewinder series keyboard and mouse. They were a great pieces of hardware. Sadly they were never sold here in India.

I think the Surface 2 and Surface Pro 2 would sell in India. I dont know what is stoping MS to sell it. Still waiting for news about Xbox one in India.

rakesh1995

Banned
May 26, 2013
Visit site

bro Microsoft used to sell keyboard and Mouse in India. They stoped it in 2009

also look at black Friday and other UA EXCLUSIVE DEAL, MS looses money from this deals. SO WHERE dose Ms get money? (whole world)
so in short MS gets profit from whole world and sells of less price in USA even sometime at a loss.

why we people of developing countries who don't even have much money will give our money to make rich people more richer.

that's why i began to support google. They are currently selling NEXUS 5 directly from play store India l. So that we can get it for less money.

MS can also sell XBox and WP from Windows Store to bypass middle man and give us letter deals.

Xbox 360 here cost about Xbox one. And they expect a good sales lol. MS Can sell them at lower price through direct online store.

google was able to do it. Ms being more influential to India will have easier time to do such deal.

so will they do it? No

take money from poor to make the rich more richer

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
bro Microsoft used to sell keyboard and Mouse in India. They stoped it in 2009

also look at black Friday and other UA EXCLUSIVE DEAL, MS looses money from this deals. SO WHERE dose Ms get money? (whole world)
so in short MS gets profit from whole world and sells of less price in USA even sometime at a loss.

why we people of developing countries who don't even have much money will give our money to make rich people more richer.

that's why i began to support google. They are currently selling NEXUS 5 directly from play store India l. So that we can get it for less money.

MS can also sell XBox and WP from Windows Store to bypass middle man and give us letter deals.

Xbox 360 here cost about Xbox one. And they expect a good sales lol. MS Can sell them at lower price through direct online store.

google was able to do it. Ms being more influential to India will have easier time to do such deal.

so will they do it? No

take money from poor to make the rich more richer

Wow. What universe are you living in?

wilsey

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site

Oh and even today we don't even have a tentative launch date as to when the Xbox One will make it to India. Heck even the first gen Surface and Surface RT are still not officially available over here and this is when they have already started selling the Surface 2 & Surface Pro 2 in Europe and America.

Exactly. I should say the situation is more or less similar in Indonesia. Even after Surface 2 is launched, the 1st generation Surface is nowhere to be found. And if you asked around, nobody knows what is Surface. All they know about Tablet is those made by Apple, Samsung and other less popular brand compared to Microsoft/Nokia. The annoying part is I don't see any effort from Microsoft to do something about it.
Even asking for a Technical Support through phone/email (since they don't even have Microsoft Store, just the office) for Windows XP, I have to pay money for them in advance with no guarantee it will solve my problem.
I love Microsoft product but the way they treated their customers is as if it's not important to them.

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
THIS

People really don't understand companies may not be in a region due to large complications providing that service there. Especially licensed items like music. Record companies hold a lot of control over their music, who gets to use it, and how.

Also, some countries have laws that make offering deals or other items more complex or impossible.

Hell, look at what India is doing to Nokia. They're exploiting them for money by claiming bull**** owed tax amounts that they magically changed just this week from 340 million to 3.4 billion. It's just ridiculous.

I work at a global business that has to deal with cross border transactions all day long. It's just not easy providing any service across the border. And it doesn't help that Microsoft has been a target for a long time. I'm surprised the EU hasn't destroyed their Nokia deal.

The global market is important for Windows Phone and Microsoft in general. I don't think they intentionally neglect specific countries or regions.

The tax evasion as authorities claim is over a 7 year period, they need time to go though books and they will claim what they feel reasonable. the case is in court of law and Nokia has a battery of lawyers to fight out n in the end if they pay means they were meant to pay up right.

and tell me about bing rewards, why hasnt MS brought it outside US what laws would prevent that. Surface has'nt even been launched in India. MS deals and offers are restricted to mostly US, point is if they are think to expand its services after the marketshare grows further it will not work, they have to shift their focus for sure.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
The tax evasion as authorities claim is over a 7 year period, they need time to go though books and they will claim what they feel reasonable. the case is in court of law and Nokia has a battery of lawyers to fight out n in the end if they pay means they were meant to pay up right.

and tell me about bing rewards, why hasnt MS brought it outside US what laws would prevent that. Surface has'nt even been launched in India. MS deals and offers are restricted to mostly US, point is if they are think to expand its services after the marketshare grows further it will not work, they have to shift their focus for sure.

Again, I or you don't know the details. But I do know from working in a global company and simple facts of the media rights across borders that what looks simple to the consumer is not necessarily that simple. Even offering deals or sales may have its complications depending on difference in costs to provide that product or service or particular laws of any given countries that can also impact it.

I'm just saying, it's not as black and white as you guys think it is. Especially when a company like Microsoft has been so heavily prosecuted internationally.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Also, like it or not, the US is still where the most consumption opportunities are.

My company has been heavily focused on international businesses for over 10 years. The majority of our clients are international. But this year we are shifting focus more on the US side because that's where the big money is.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Again, I or you don't know the details. But I do know from working in a global company and simple facts of the media rights across borders that what looks simple to the consumer is not necessarily that simple. Even offering deals or sales may have its complications depending on difference in costs to provide that product or service or particular laws of any given countries that can also impact it.

I'm just saying, it's not as black and white as you guys think it is. Especially when a company like Microsoft has been so heavily prosecuted internationally.

It is certainly not simple. But Indians and others will quite rightly vote with their wallets for those who do provide the right products and services. Don't assume you understand Asia if you live in America or Europe. The world is far more complex and interesting than you think.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Also, like it or not, the US is still where the most consumption opportunities are.

My company has been heavily focused on international businesses for over 10 years. The majority of our clients are international. But this year we are shifting focus more on the US side because that's where the big money is.

Of course, it's up to Microsoft where they focus their efforts and their resources. As I say, people will vote with their wallets wherever they are.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa