12-15-2014 04:14 PM
155 12345 ...
tools
    Yes, I will keep using Windows Phone because I love being unique. ;)

Some people say WP sucks because it does not have a lot of apps and games... Well, I don't care. At least I always have something to look forward to. You're looking forward when will this feature come, when will this popular app/game come, etc. You're seeing the OS grow in front of you. And I love that. It's like I'm watching a movie about an evolution or success story or something. LOL
    Yoop,
    I get really tired of the "WP blah blah blah not as many apps as blah blah blah"

The 'ole "No app" argument is so frigging lame now it flags immediate dismissal in my brain when I see it typed anywhere.
    WP is one element...the WP appstore is a differing element.
    Why stay away because you have not found what you think you need in the appstore.
    WP evidently doesn't attract app junkies and I find this a benefit of the Windows phone.
    Geddeeee and cckgz4 like this.
    12-16-2013 12:29 AM
    Yoop,
    I get really tired of the "WP blah blah blah not as many apps as blah blah blah"

The 'ole "No app" argument is so frigging lame now it flags immediate dismissal in my brain when I see it typed anywhere.
    Why stay away because you have not found what you think you need in the appstore.
    WP evidently doesn't attract app junkies and I find this a benefit of the Windows phone.
    Honestly I just upgraded from wp7 and wp8 has SO many apps available that I don't really use IE anymore :P
    snowmutt, Old_Cus, b23h and 1 others like this.
    12-16-2013 12:35 AM
    I've been a Nokia Fan boy since its inception. As for windows phone, I'm sticking to it. Its simple, sleek and elegant. No fuss here. Its a growing platform and I'm happy to see the rapid growth.
    12-16-2013 12:46 AM
    Yoop,

for me apps is the most important thing in a smartphone and I am not the only one . Wp8 is nice very stable but for a basic user which I am not. If Microsoft doesn't give some freedom to wp8 then I will go to android to play with roms , developing and that stuff . Its almost 2014 and wp8 doesn't have a file manager . I have a Nokia Lumia 820 with 8gb of internal storage and I can't install many apps and big games like asphalt 8 dungeon hunter 4. Many apps are missing some others that are free on android like angry birds , in wp8 are paid and the others are terrible (look Facebook). Hope to see more developers at wp8 and Microsoft to add the important features that are missing .

Sent from my Lumia 820 using Tapatalk
    DBZo07 likes this.
    12-16-2013 12:53 AM
    Yoop,

so you think 1,37,000 apps+games available on store are all quality app??

80% of them are junk.. Microsoft doesn't allow junk?? Check yourself..

Sent via tapatalk
    12-16-2013 12:58 AM
    Originally I was getting sort of meh with windows phone tbh.

But since getting my 1520, I fell in love with the OS all over again. Its the same software but the big screen is a welcomed new experience.

For me I will be with windows phone at least until late summer or early fall next year. If Nokia and Microsoft have not come out with anything that wows me, I may wind up switching to the iPhone if It has a bigger screen.

But we are getting apps faster now and I don't feel as left out anymore. So for now I am happy where I am. I just need Microsoft to start stepping their game up.....
    How could you go from a 1520 to a dinky little iPhone (they may have a larger screen by then, but nothing like the 1520. Apple doesn't make bold moves like that)?
    b23h likes this.
    12-16-2013 01:05 AM

Sent via tapatalk
    Of course there are, but with iOS and Android, the numbers are exponential. How many really unique apps are created? Most are duplicating things that already exist. Occasionally they are better, but usually they are worse than the existing apps.
    snowmutt and b23h like this.
    12-16-2013 01:08 AM
    I'll probably stick with Windows. I never liked Android much and iOS doesn't seem amazing to me. I guess an update can change that though. You never know.
    b23h likes this.
    12-16-2013 01:12 AM
    to be honest it depends on Microsoft if they keep improving it on each OS release with more features than wp7/wp8 then i'll keep using it . although i might buy an iphone someday as a secondary phone next to my windowsphone if and only if they offer something larger than 4inch display with new design, buying an iphone at the moment feels like buying a phone from 2007. as for android its not going to happen i wont spend a dollar on android
    Last edited by sumton; 12-16-2013 at 04:24 AM.
    b23h likes this.
    12-16-2013 01:35 AM
    Well, I must admit I'm an BB10 lover, but last week I got a free 520 from my service provider. Wanted a Z10, but there's no BB love from Cosmote Romania (a T-Mo subsidiary). Long story short, I took the 520 planning to sell it and buy a Z10, but after a few days with WP I'm considering keeping the Lumia. I miss a few things about the BB10, especially the little red flash, the X closing the apps, BBM, but I am ready to give WP a chance, because I really like it's fluidity and the community. I now follow both WPC and CB on Twitter and, every morning I open it I get maybe 5-6 tweets from WPC and 1 or 2 from CB. Every time! I guess that says something about the app and OS updates, so I guess I"ll stick with WP for a while. Very smart move from Nokia with 520, it's an ambassador for WP, got people into trying the OS and the majority decided to stay.

If I get BBM, a handset with a notification led and a X to close my running apps I got no reason to leave WP. Heard the last one in going to be implemented in GDR3, which is great, the back button is really getting on my nerves, especially in IE.

Sent from my Lumia 520 using Tapatalk
    12-16-2013 01:37 AM
    Sent via tapatalk
    Mmmm...
    I believe you may have misunderstood what I was trying to say.
    Didn't say there weren't useless apps within the Windows store.

The point was:
    Why turn away from WP with less apps.
    To reinforce the OS which IMO works well it must be with consumer support.

For me WP is usable without a lot of apps.
    Realizing this won't be true for many coming to Windows from another OS.
    I just don't see how less apps for Windows today is any different than the other 2 major players when they first became popular.
    Android wasn't bulging with useful apps back in 07 either no different than how many see WP today.

Anyone can wade thru Google Play and see how much of it is repeats and less than useful freebies.
    Simply a game of numbers as it always will be.
    snowmutt and b23h like this.
    12-16-2013 02:15 AM
    Love the ex-Android user rants. Custom ROMs (like this is a 'feature' of Android) don't hold your breath you may faint, file manger - something is coming, not like Android but something, SD card - will be fixed I'm sure, complaints about app quality, again, will be fixed.

And my favourite - THERE'S NOT ENOUGH FREE APPS! I WANT THOSE ANNOYING ADS AND I WANT DEVELOPERS TO GIVE ME STUFF FOR FREE!

Yeah, I know what those 'free' apps are like on Android. The ads **** me off to no end. I'm happy to spend 1-2 for an app. My biggest complaint is 'trial' all apps should have a trial available.

I love how impatient some people are. I get why they're like this and our culture of 'now' doesn't help much. Also coming from Android I can understand, WP is quite different. I don't quite understand why people simply can't accept WP for what it is, if it doesn't suit you, move to another platform. WP will get to where it's going in it's own time. I expect WP8.1 to be a great upgrade. I'm disappointed it's going over the one year mark but I expect big things from it.

There are a lot of mistakes Nokia/MS made in not understanding certain markets but such is life. We can only learn from mistakes. Let's hope they have.

I have my disappointments from WP as well, it's not perfect and I hope to see the improvements I want, I won't however jump ship unless WP8.1 turns out to be a big disappointment, which I highly doubt. I just hope they do a good presentation this time around. :P
    12-16-2013 03:32 AM
    Ya true.. Windows phone ,then...

Sent via tapatalk
    snowmutt likes this.
    12-16-2013 04:03 AM
    i am plannig to ditch it. honestly i was an avid enthusiast of the ecosystem ever since i first laid eyes on a WP8 phone(i believe it was a lumia 820) in a shop.. went ahead and got a 520 and even managed to 2 of my friends to switch to a 720 and a 925.But the number one thing that has bugged me no end is the photos duplication isse that many people are facing right now. it is a bug in the software that makes 3-4 copies of every photo! no solution even after updating to amber & GDR 2. If i don't see a solution soon, i may have to ditch the ecosystem forever.
    12-16-2013 04:25 AM
    i am plannig to ditch it. honestly i was an avid enthusiast of the ecosystem ever since i first laid eyes on a WP8 phone(i believe it was a lumia 820) in a shop.. went ahead and got a 520 and even managed to 2 of my friends to switch to a 720 and a 925.But the number one thing that has bugged me no end is the photos duplication isse that many people are facing right now. it is a bug in the software that makes 3-4 copies of every photo! no solution even after updating to amber & GDR 2. If i don't see a solution soon, i may have to ditch the ecosystem forever.
    Won't argue there. SD card implementation has been horrible. Have you tried turning off upload to Skydrive? That seemed to fix the issues for my wife on her 820.

I hope not to see any future WP with SD cards but I know that's a popular feature so I hope they fix it once and for all.
    snowmutt likes this.
    12-16-2013 04:37 AM
    I've made it a goal to use at least most of the OSes some time ago, from Palm OS, to iOS, webOS, Windows Mobile, Android, and now Windows Phone

Unlike the rest it has never let me down, awkward pauses are minimal, love the design, and its unique compared to my peers. Its not perfect, but its the best fit for me, especially as I have been transitioning to MS services even before picking up my 920.

I expect to be here for a bit.
    much phones. doge impressed. wow.
    12-16-2013 05:10 AM
    I've had the 620, 820 and lastly the 920.Unfortunately, MS has let me down by not implementing usefull features in its updates, so I've moved on and got a Nexus 4.I'm so so sorry to say but I will not return to WP after spending 2 months with the Nexus.Since I got it, I went form Android 4.3 to 4.4 and 2 days ago to 4.4.2.Each and every update made dramatic improvements to my device, things that I was expecting especially from MS and they never delivered.With the last update, the Nexus 4 is faster, has much better battery life and the new UI looks very fresh.
    I still have the 920 so I often compare them side by side, to see how both platforms compete.(especially since they are both the same age and generation).
    Your comments are interesting and I am in a similar position - I bought a Nexus 5, which my wife snagged from me!

The speed of updates you've experienced is something to watch over a longer time than 2 months. I suspect that your switch to Android coincided with Google's annual release of new (updated) Android software which the Nexus phones get direct from Google. The 4.4.1 update was shoved out quickly to improve the unsatisfactory camera software, but it was hastily withdrawn and 4.4.2 was released and is what 4.4.1 was meant to be. Not a time Google covered themselves with glory. After this, I don't know how often Google usually puts out updates.

It's also worth remembering that with a Nexus phone, the updates come directly from Google and so aren't delayed (and bulked up with carrier software) by carrier testing. The latter applies to pretty much every phone, except iPhones, which also receive updates directly, by-passing the phone carriers. If you have had delays on WP in the past, it can quite often fall at the feet of the carriers who want to test the update before they:

1. release it themselves and
    2. add their own layers to the OEM's lean software.

I agree with you also on the poor baked in apps for what is/was sold as a business phone (920). I can't believe the appalling calendar app, the lack of a notification centre and in my case, a poor integration with the MS Outlook Web App.

You'll notice the difference in the cameras though even with Google's updates. I can't say that Google is renowned for camera quality and this is still the case. Even with the Nexus 5, its photos don't compare very well to the 920.
    12-16-2013 07:15 AM
    Nexus 5 is packing the best specs that are out right now but it loses at some points like sound camera build quality because google want to keep the cost very low . Ao nexus 5 is for the "spec hunters"

12-16-2013 07:22 AM
    Left WP 2 times already and after several months I find myself missing the OS and smoothness and the overall feeling. No missing apps for me and I will be staying with WP this time (although I switch phones far to often, it is a disease lol)
    12-16-2013 08:01 AM
    Won't argue there. SD card implementation has been horrible. Have you tried turning off upload to Skydrive? That seemed to fix the issues for my wife on her 820.

I hope not to see any future WP with SD cards but I know that's a popular feature so I hope they fix it once and for all.
    This has been my gripe since WP added expandable memory. Built in memory is just better. I would rather have 32GB set in stone, like in the L1020 and the L920, then the 16 GB with expandable like in the L1520. I get people need more then 32GB's in extreme media consumption, but I think that is the exception to the rule.

It is the ONLY area I think Apple still has it right. Offer the iPhone in many different memory levels and it is stable and you will not worry about the downside of SD cards, especially some of the cheaper ones out there. Which is the saddest point: Most devices that "need" expandable memory are the mid-range, where users are buying budget phones trying to save money. When they need more memory, they end up buying budget memory cards. Which gives you more problems. Sigh.....

By the way.... STILL staying on WP......

Just saying.
    b23h likes this.
    12-16-2013 08:57 AM
    The synergy between the Windows desktop, tablet and phone is important to me. I have been a Microsoft user since 1984 when I built my first computer and I see no reason to "move on". Microsoft offers me everything I need and everything I want.
    b23h likes this.
    12-16-2013 09:31 AM
    I thought they fixed that with GDR3???

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    12-16-2013 09:38 AM
    Android is only for high end devices because it needs high specs but wp8 is for cheaper phones . If you have a high budget then I recommend to go for a android phone and not WP for now. Hope to see a big improvement on 2014
    no that's not right I have an xperia SL a high end device which was smooth and fast and nice untill I filled it up remaining 2GB. then it became a lag machine , laging even when opening the lock screen so I got me a 520 which I will upgrade from to a higher 9xx model and I don't think I will leave WP its just awesome
    12-16-2013 09:51 AM
    I recently went from windows to android. I must admit I did miss android, kit Kat is so much nicer and smoother than the older versions of android. Very smooth. I might go back to windows someday. Hopefully they windows phone 8.1 and so on will be on par or close to android. Windows is a very nice Os.

sent from moto x
    12-16-2013 10:33 AM
    Windows for life.
    b23h likes this.
    12-16-2013 10:55 AM
155 12345 ...