Will you keep using windows phone or move on other os?

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
so you think 1,37,000 apps+games available on store are all quality app??
80% of them are junk.. Microsoft doesn't allow junk?? Check yourself..
Sent via tapatalk

Mmmm...
I believe you may have misunderstood what I was trying to say.
Didn't say there weren't useless apps within the Windows store.

The point was:
Why turn away from WP with less apps.
To reinforce the OS which IMO works well it must be with consumer support.

For me WP is usable without a lot of apps.
Realizing this won't be true for many coming to Windows from another OS.
I just don't see how less apps for Windows today is any different than the other 2 major players when they first became popular.
Android wasn't bulging with useful apps back in 07 either no different than how many see WP today.

Anyone can wade thru Google Play and see how much of it is repeats and less than useful freebies.
Simply a game of numbers as it always will be.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Love the ex-Android user rants. Custom ROMs (like this is a 'feature' of Android) don't hold your breath you may faint, file manger - something is coming, not like Android but something, SD card - will be fixed I'm sure, complaints about app quality, again, will be fixed.

And my favourite - THERE'S NOT ENOUGH FREE APPS! I WANT THOSE ANNOYING ADS AND I WANT DEVELOPERS TO GIVE ME STUFF FOR FREE!

Yeah, I know what those 'free' apps are like on Android. The ads **** me off to no end. I'm happy to spend ?1-2 for an app. My biggest complaint is 'trial' all apps should have a trial available.

I love how impatient some people are. I get why they're like this and our culture of 'now' doesn't help much. Also coming from Android I can understand, WP is quite different. I don't quite understand why people simply can't accept WP for what it is, if it doesn't suit you, move to another platform. WP will get to where it's going in it's own time. I expect WP8.1 to be a great upgrade. I'm disappointed it's going over the one year mark but I expect big things from it.

There are a lot of mistakes Nokia/MS made in not understanding certain markets but such is life. We can only learn from mistakes. Let's hope they have.

I have my disappointments from WP as well, it's not perfect and I hope to see the improvements I want, I won't however jump ship unless WP8.1 turns out to be a big disappointment, which I highly doubt. I just hope they do a good presentation this time around. :p

Arunabh

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
i am plannig to ditch it. honestly i was an avid enthusiast of the ecosystem ever since i first laid eyes on a WP8 phone(i believe it was a lumia 820) in a shop.. went ahead and got a 520 and even managed to 2 of my friends to switch to a 720 and a 925.But the number one thing that has bugged me no end is the photos duplication isse that many people are facing right now. it is a bug in the software that makes 3-4 copies of every photo! no solution even after updating to amber & GDR 2. If i don't see a solution soon, i may have to ditch the ecosystem forever.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
i am plannig to ditch it. honestly i was an avid enthusiast of the ecosystem ever since i first laid eyes on a WP8 phone(i believe it was a lumia 820) in a shop.. went ahead and got a 520 and even managed to 2 of my friends to switch to a 720 and a 925.But the number one thing that has bugged me no end is the photos duplication isse that many people are facing right now. it is a bug in the software that makes 3-4 copies of every photo! no solution even after updating to amber & GDR 2. If i don't see a solution soon, i may have to ditch the ecosystem forever.

Won't argue there. SD card implementation has been horrible. Have you tried turning off upload to Skydrive? That seemed to fix the issues for my wife on her 820.

I hope not to see any future WP with SD cards but I know that's a popular feature so I hope they fix it once and for all.

Lumis90

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I've made it a goal to use at least most of the OSes some time ago, from Palm OS, to iOS, webOS, Windows Mobile, Android, and now Windows Phone

Unlike the rest it has never let me down, awkward pauses are minimal, love the design, and its unique compared to my peers. Its not perfect, but its the best fit for me, especially as I have been transitioning to MS services even before picking up my 920.

I expect to be here for a bit.
much phones. doge impressed. wow.

George Jenkinson

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
I've had the 620, 820 and lastly the 920.Unfortunately, MS has let me down by not implementing usefull features in its updates, so I've moved on and got a Nexus 4.I'm so so sorry to say but I will not return to WP after spending 2 months with the Nexus.Since I got it, I went form Android 4.3 to 4.4 and 2 days ago to 4.4.2.Each and every update made dramatic improvements to my device, things that I was expecting especially from MS and they never delivered.With the last update, the Nexus 4 is faster, has much better battery life and the new UI looks very fresh.
I still have the 920 so I often compare them side by side, to see how both platforms compete.(especially since they are both the same age and generation).

Your comments are interesting and I am in a similar position - I bought a Nexus 5, which my wife snagged from me!

The speed of updates you've experienced is something to watch over a longer time than 2 months. I suspect that your switch to Android coincided with Google's annual release of new (updated) Android software which the Nexus phones get direct from Google. The 4.4.1 update was shoved out quickly to improve the unsatisfactory camera software, but it was hastily withdrawn and 4.4.2 was released and is what 4.4.1 was meant to be. Not a time Google covered themselves with glory. After this, I don't know how often Google usually puts out updates.

It's also worth remembering that with a Nexus phone, the updates come directly from Google and so aren't delayed (and bulked up with carrier software) by carrier testing. The latter applies to pretty much every phone, except iPhones, which also receive updates directly, by-passing the phone carriers. If you have had delays on WP in the past, it can quite often fall at the feet of the carriers who want to test the update before they:

1. release it themselves and
2. add their own layers to the OEM's lean software.

I agree with you also on the poor baked in apps for what is/was sold as a business phone (920). I can't believe the appalling calendar app, the lack of a notification centre and in my case, a poor integration with the MS Outlook Web App.

You'll notice the difference in the cameras though even with Google's updates. I can't say that Google is renowned for camera quality and this is still the case. Even with the Nexus 5, its photos don't compare very well to the 920.

mike13ftw

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
Nexus 5 is packing the best specs that are out right now but it loses at some points like sound camera build quality because google want to keep the cost very low . Ao nexus 5 is for the "spec hunters"

Sent from my Lumia 820 using Tapatalk

ferazzz1985

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
Left WP 2 times already and after several months I find myself missing the OS and smoothness and the overall feeling. No missing apps for me and I will be staying with WP this time (although I switch phones far to often, it is a disease lol)

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Won't argue there. SD card implementation has been horrible. Have you tried turning off upload to Skydrive? That seemed to fix the issues for my wife on her 820.

I hope not to see any future WP with SD cards but I know that's a popular feature so I hope they fix it once and for all.

This has been my gripe since WP added expandable memory. Built in memory is just better. I would rather have 32GB set in stone, like in the L1020 and the L920, then the 16 GB with expandable like in the L1520. I get people need more then 32GB's in extreme media consumption, but I think that is the exception to the rule.

It is the ONLY area I think Apple still has it right. Offer the iPhone in many different memory levels and it is stable and you will not worry about the downside of SD cards, especially some of the cheaper ones out there. Which is the saddest point: Most devices that "need" expandable memory are the mid-range, where users are buying budget phones trying to save money. When they need more memory, they end up buying budget memory cards. Which gives you more problems. Sigh.....

By the way.... STILL staying on WP......

Just saying.

05Paris

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
The synergy between the Windows desktop, tablet and phone is important to me. I have been a Microsoft user since 1984 when I built my first computer and I see no reason to "move on". Microsoft offers me everything I need and everything I want.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site

I thought they fixed that with GDR3???

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Ahmed Hassan7

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Android is only for high end devices because it needs high specs but wp8 is for cheaper phones . If you have a high budget then I recommend to go for a android phone and not WP for now. Hope to see a big improvement on 2014

no that's not right I have an xperia SL a high end device which was smooth and fast and nice untill I filled it up remaining 2GB. then it became a lag machine , laging even when opening the lock screen so I got me a 520 which I will upgrade from to a higher 9xx model and I don't think I will leave WP its just awesome

jlynnm350z

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I recently went from windows to android. I must admit I did miss android, kit Kat is so much nicer and smoother than the older versions of android. Very smooth. I might go back to windows someday. Hopefully they windows phone 8.1 and so on will be on par or close to android. Windows is a very nice Os.

sent from moto x

mike13ftw

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
File manager is an important limitation
Transfer apps to SD card
3rd party keyboards (I don't like so much wp8 keyboard)
Browsers can't have their own engine
Notification center
NFC tags

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
File manager is an important limitation
Transfer apps to SD card
3rd party keyboards (I don't like so much wp8 keyboard)
Browsers can't have their own engine
Notification center
NFC tags

Notification centre. Agreed. But Every else nah nah. WP is not taking a android approach its more IOS.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb