Will you keep using windows phone or move on other os?

borasar

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
N_LaRUE

Quick settings menu
Attachments in emails
More frequent tile updates
Week view in Calender
Calender tile should display more events
App name limitation
View attachment 52076
Text alignment for RSS
View attachment 52078
Battery percentages at status bar
Some NFC changes
Games saves backup

those aren't limitations, those are missing features IMO
limitations would probably be as mentioned above things like custom ROMS and file manager like in android, which are very unlikely to come to WP

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
I intend to stick with WP. I feel invested with the platform with regards to phone and PC. Hopefully the platform keeps progressing.

ntice_521

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Aside from the nonsense about a file manager or custom ROMs please state the limitations.

Can't write files, can only read certain file types, can't replace built in apps, can't install non-store apps.....

The limitations are all the more glaring because there are workarounds. WP *does* support files, you *can* manage them, it's just unnecessarily hard. So you are constantly reminded of how lame WP is. It's not a new paradigm, it's just an OS that hates you.

TheDarKnight

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
I won't be leaving windows phone anytime soon as long as they are all metro, I can't stand the idea of a gird of static icons, or widgets that fill up the screens in a messy way, also they don't work. and the argument about the number of apps on windows phone isn't valid anymore in my openion, apps for WP are arriving at a fast pace, and most of them work much better than ios or droids.

sameermehta2

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
Guys i hope most of you have read the leaked news on wp8.1,
wp is going nowhere down its going to fight off android.i think this is only one major jump from ms to cover up mostly what it lacked as compared to android which has taken years to evolve,i am staying with WP.

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Like many others, Im going to wait what WP 8.1 offers otherwise it's back to Android for me. I really hope app store will continue to evolve and get more interesting. Next year's Android 5.0 should be quite a killer!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Can't write files, can only read certain file types, can't replace built in apps, can't install non-store apps.....

OK, aside from the 'write' bit which I can't verify for myself as I don't know what you're referring to, the rest of your 'limitations' are not limitations. They're not necessary. The 'built in' apps are not apps, they're part of the OS. That's why they're called 'built in'. Why would you want to install apps that are not from the store? Aside from illegal apps it's not necessary.

The limitations are all the more glaring because there are workarounds. WP *does* support files, you *can* manage them, it's just unnecessarily hard. So you are constantly reminded of how lame WP is. It's not a new paradigm, it's just an OS that hates you.

Limitations are only for those who have some requirements that go beyond the average user, which you're obviously are not. WP was setup for the average person, not someone wanting a computer replacement. Which is what it appears you want.

WP8 is a first rev of the OS on NT. Give it some time to sort itself out. If you're not satisfied with WP right now, move on to Android if you're not already on it. You can always come back when it suits you more, if it ever does.

For the record, I don't see WP hating me and I'm pretty sure that those who like the OS don't feel that way either. So not sure where you're coming from there.

ntice_521

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
OK, aside from the 'write' bit which I can't verify for myself as I don't know what you're referring to, the rest of your 'limitations' are not limitations. They're not necessary. The 'built in' apps are not apps, they're part of the OS. That's why they're called 'built in'. Why would you want to install apps that are not from the store? Aside from illegal apps it's not necessary.

Well geez, if you removed everything that's "not necessary", we'd end up with nothing but a web browser.

Is that your dream phone OS - one that doesn't support apps at all?

marcomura

May 28, 2013
Visit site
OK, aside from the 'write' bit which I can't verify for myself as I don't know what you're referring to, the rest of your 'limitations' are not limitations. They're not necessary. The 'built in' apps are not apps, they're part of the OS. That's why they're called 'built in'.
What makes something not necessary? The fact that N_LaRUE doesn't feel that need?
Because in my language, something is necessary when someone needs it and it seems that ntice_521 needs a lot of things you marked as "not necessary".

Also, I have the necessity to export my sms into a parsable file (like a txt, or xml if you know what it is).
Is it also not necessary because you don't have this necessity?

Why would you want to install apps that are not from the store? Aside from illegal apps it's not necessary.
Curious you think this is not necessary... because I recall that few months ago wpcentral posted a xap for pinning the new gdr3 "rotation lock" tile.
It shouldn't have done that because it is not necessary, right?

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Really would be interesting to see just how much of all a smartphone can do that people who use them actually do. Personally I really see not much difference between them. If they continue to update them (WP) and take care of their customers I have no problem staying with WP. Both me and my wife use WP8 Lumia's. But I have two Android tablets and my brothers (1 with IOS, 1 with Android) let me see what other phones do with the other OS's. For 95% of people I would say it really makes no difference what phone OS they use. If for some reason I ever got a REAL reason to change to Android on a phone it would not bother me at all. I doubt I would ever buy an Apple. Just my feelings.

Ek-Balam

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
Really would be interesting to see just how much of all a smartphone can do that people who use them actually do. Personally I really see not much difference between them. If they continue to update them (WP) and take care of their customers I have no problem staying with WP. Both me and my wife use WP8 Lumia's. But I have two Android tablets and my brothers (1 with IOS, 1 with Android) let me see what other phones do with the other OS's. For 95% of people I would say it really makes no difference what phone OS they use. If for some reason I ever got a REAL reason to change to Android on a phone it would not bother me at all. I doubt I would ever buy an Apple. Just my feelings.

I agree with you one one thing - I too wouldn't buy an Apple of any kind. However, the genesis of this thread, and others similar to it, is - "are you staying with WP?" One could also flip that around and theoretically ask "would you switch to WP?". For all the wonderful things that WP is, it is unfortunately known now for what it's not (i.e; the laundry lists above and in other threads). Most folks that haunt these type forums are, granted not typical users. But one must ask what market share is MS leaving on the table by not including some basic functionalities that are expected from a smart phone? The future of WP does not need to be the "wild west" of the Android ecosystem, nor the robotic walled garden of iOS. I believe that the frustration that is felt by current WP users and the barrier to entry for new, potential WP users is that MS possesses the abilities and technologies to provide a elegant OS that strikes the best attributes of their market competitors and jettison the worst.

andy21andy

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately, I'm 95% sure I will switch back to iPhone in the fall of 2014. I really loved the look and design of windows phone but I really need a plethora of app options, such as the ones offered on iPhone. I also don't enjoy the bulkiness and the inability of Nokia to have top specs on their flagship phones (I own a 1020, and yes it has great camera abilities which are top specs in a way). Thankfully I got my phone when I signed up for AT&T Next, and not a two-year plan.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately, I'm 95% sure I will switch back to iPhone in the fall of 2014. I really loved the look and design of windows phone but I really need a plethora of app options, such as the ones offered on iPhone. I also don't enjoy the bulkiness and the inability of Nokia to have top specs on their flagship phones (I own a 1020, and yes it has great camera abilities which are top specs in a way). Thankfully I got my phone when I signed up for AT&T Next, and not a two-year plan.

Very weird you got the phone knowing that there was not going to be many apps and the bulkiness is plain out wrong. Its thinner than the 920 actually. Good achievement actually.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

lesd777

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I'll wait until fall 2014 to see where windows is at in comparison to Android. Had the Android backflip, then went to Samsung focus and loved it. Then HTC Titan failed me within my 30 days, and no other WP phones were appealing at the time, so went with the Samsung Galaxy SII Skyrocket. I liked the skyrocket but something about WP I really missed it. Got the 920 a year ago, and now have the 1020. All I know is my next phone will need to have a 5" display or bigger.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
What makes something not necessary? The fact that N_LaRUE doesn't feel that need?

A feature is unnecessary if:
  • it doesn't solve an actual problem
  • it introduces more problems than it solves
  • it doesn't solve the problem as good as an alternative solution
The desire to replace built-in apps isn't really unnecessary, but it is at least nonsensical, because it's not possible to remove apps from ROM. What Android can do is hide the app's icon, so it doesn't appear in the app launcher, but the app is obviously still there. WP's equivalent is simple... don't pin the app to the start screen. That is probably the superior solution, so I'd agree with N_LaRue that the proposal is unnecessary.

The desire to install non-store apps is definitely a solution that introduces more problems than it solves, so it's worse then unnecessary. It's counterproductive. I don't know anything about the non-store XAP that WPC linked to, but whatever that was about, I'm sure a better solution exists.

Not every feature that can be implemented should be implemented.

The 'built in' apps are not apps, they're part of the OS.

This depends on your definition of the term "app". I think the built-in apps are apps, almost just like any other. For example, WP 8.1 will (apparently) ship without the Xbox Music and Video apps, delivering them through the app store instead. IMHO this clearly demonstrates that neither are necessary for the OS to function, meaning they aren't part of the OS... they are just apps that are bundled with the WP 8.0 OS. Most user facing software is similar. You could remove most of the apps without negatively impacting the OS' ability to function correctly.

Applications like MS Paint or Movie Maker aren't part of the Windows OS either. They're just software products that MS bundles with the OS.

JonnieLasVegas

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
The recent announcements/leaks for WP8.1 have me VERY excited for WP! I'll be picking up a WP8.1 flagship phone from Nokia for sure! Will still stick with using all 3 major OS's!

MrGoodSmith

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I will keep using Windows Phone although I am very frustrated about some shortcomings in the system. I don't care much about the apps really. It's features in the system that all other mobile platforms have but don't understand why Microsoft doesn't implement them. Simplicity is good, but also need to have advanced options for power users.

The main reason why I am still with WP is my loyalty to Nokia first, and to Microsoft second.

ntice_521

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
The desire to replace built-in apps isn't really unnecessary, but it is at least nonsensical, because it's not possible to remove apps from ROM. What Android can do is hide the app's icon, so it doesn't appear in the app launcher, but the app is obviously still there. WP's equivalent is simple... don't pin the app to the start screen. That is probably the superior solution, so I'd agree with N_LaRue that the proposal is unnecessary.

WP doesn't let you set the default web browser. That's very basic. More advanced would allow different keyboards, different start screen, etc.

The desire to install non-store apps is definitely a solution that introduces more problems than it solves, so it's worse then unnecessary. It's counterproductive. I don't know anything about the non-store XAP that WPC linked to, but whatever that was about, I'm sure a better solution exists.

The vast majority of apps will come from the store no matter what. But non-store apps are part of the ecosystem. They include free and hobbyist apps, unsupported apps, apps that Microsoft disapproves of or can't associate itself with, etc.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Well geez, if you removed everything that's "not necessary", we'd end up with nothing but a web browser.

Is that your dream phone OS - one that doesn't support apps at all?

I don't recall saying anything like that. Just because I don't want to put crap on my phone or play with it doesn't mean I don't want quality apps. So I like a phone that just works out of the box, sue me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb