Lumia as MP3 player

kc77

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
I was thinking about getting a new MP3 player since my old iPod Nano is out of storage and I don't like deleting music just to put new music on it. I was just wondering if anyone has used a cheap Lumia (520/521) as an MP3 player without ever activating it to a network? If I remember correctly, they both have expandable storage, so memory wouldn't be an issue. It would also be about 100 dollars cheaper to buy the phone instead of a new iPod. I think it would be just like an iPod touch only better. Lol. Any advice or suggestions on the subject?

Speedygi

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
I was thinking about getting a new MP3 player since my old iPod Nano is out of storage and I don't like deleting music just to put new music on it. I was just wondering if anyone has used a cheap Lumia (520/521) as an MP3 player without ever activating it to a network? If I remember correctly, they both have expandable storage, so memory wouldn't be an issue. It would also be about 100 dollars cheaper to buy the phone instead of a new iPod. I think it would be just like an iPod touch only better. Lol. Any advice or suggestions on the subject?

I hate to put a wet blanket over the Lumia, but when it comes to MP3 players nothing really compares to the iPods, which are the most successful MP3 players for a reason. The prices are a little higher but the extra money, I must admit, would be worth it as iPods are just the most sleekest and classiest and most value for money devices for music these days.

dznk

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
I fully agree with your thinking. In fact, I've heard of a few people who do this. Have a read of this great article, as he talks about using it as a media player amongst many other things. He explains why it's better to get this rather than an iPod. For it's price, the 520 can do such a lot of things.

kc77

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
I had a Sony Walkman mp3 player before the nano and honestly, I didn't see any difference between the two so the iPod being the sleekest and classiest really doesn't mean much to me. I do agree that they have revolutionized music and are great devices, but the apple name never really did much for me.

skstrials

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I would say that if you are getting an ipod classic, it is better as a music player.

- smaller foot print than a phone
- up to 160gb in your palms
- battery life is still better than a phone (40 hours of playback time, can last up to a week)
- this might be a personal preference but I prefer a clickable button over a full touch screen. Clickable button means you can stop or skip to the next song without having to look at the screen, so very useful when you have your ipod in your pocket and you can just press next without having to ever take it out. Also, if you have your ipod on an arm band when you are running, you can easily press next without having to look for a button on screen since your fingers can feel the button themselves. This is why I still have my ipod as well as my phone as a music player: for use in gyms, it is much better.

This might also be trivial, but I also find that it is better to have less function at times. When I try to get some work done, I put my phone away and just use my ipod classic. And since it can't do anything except for playing songs, I just cannot get distracted, whereas if I had to take out my phone to play songs, I would have to check it every 10 mins.

Again if any of my reasoning applies to you, then thats great. Otherwise, the phone could work for you too.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
given the cheap prices of them these days and my solid experience with Nokia Music and the normal Music+Videos app, I'd consider it a no-brainer.
You don't need iTunes too!

If Nokia had these back when I got my iPod touch a few years ago, I would've gotten the the 52x.

They're not as solidly built, nor are their displays as great, but for the bargain basement prices, its excusable

kc77

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
I can usually manage not using apps and what not once I start doing some type of work. Most of the time. Lol. I never really thought about the full touch screen thing but I think it might be something I'd be able to live with. I just don't know if I want a huge Tmobile logo on something I'm using as a music device though. Haha. It seems like something that might annoy me sometimes. Lol.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)