I love the idea of the chromecast. A cheap, simple streaming device to your tv. For people like me who don't pay for cable and just use Netflix or Hulu, the chromecast is awesome. Problem is, I don't use Android at all, like many of us here at wpcentral. I think Microsoft should make something like this. Maybe call it an Xbox streamer or wincast. They could have it use the Xbox smartglass app or perhaps even better implementation. I know I could just buy an Xbox, but I'm not a gamer at all. So what are all your thoughts on ms making their own chromecast?
    12-15-2013 05:25 PM
    Chromecast is just a fancy DLNA solution for dumb TV's. If you already have a device that supports DLNA and hooks up to your TV, you're good to go. From the charms bar tap on Devices > Play, and select the device you want to play your media to. Apparently this only works in Metro apps and DRM-content is usually not supported. You can also do this in desktop mode, by opening the context menu on a media file (basically, right click on it) then go to Play to > select device you want to stream to.
    pankaj981 likes this.
    12-15-2013 06:38 PM
    I know there are ways to do if you buy some dlna dongle for your tv, but it doesn't get the support that an official device would. Plus I haven't found anything that is $35 like the chromecast is. Not everything has dlna. That is what is nice about chromecast. It works with nearly every android phone slash tablet.
    12-15-2013 08:05 PM
    doesn't like everything support dlna?
    12-15-2013 11:58 PM
    Roku makes a thumb drive solution.

https://forums.windowscentral.com/e?...token=mPElsrWb

Of course, it doesn't have the "cast" feature. Purely a streaming device.

I think it would be pointless for Microsoft to get into this area. Its already too full and everything has very similar features. If they are going to get into the "streaming device" market, they better offer something totally new. Sure, you probably know of Roku, Chromecast, Apple TV and Boxee, but there are a handful of other ones too. Not to mention, basically all TV and Bluray players have streaming and DNLA.

Now if Microsoft was able to get deals with premium service providers for ala carte content... We have a new ball game. :D. Not holding my breath...
    12-16-2013 12:12 AM
    Chromecast is ok, but it's very limited since the device has to support each specific source and it is tied to Android devices. Also, without a fast internet connection it isn't very useful which makes it lame for travel.

I prefer Miracast since it is an open standard and it simply turns your TV into a wireless display. Therefore, anything you can display on your device will appear on the TV. Miracast is supported starting with Windows 8.1 and I use it frequently with a Netgear receiver to watch movies or just share my desktop. I have also used it with a family member's Kindle Fire HDX. Unlike DNLA which is fairly complex and plagued with compatibility issues, Miracast is a super simple protocol that seems to just work for nearly all devices.

Amazon.com : NETGEAR Push2TV Wireless Display HDMI Adapter - Miracast and WiDi (PTV3000) : Streaming Media Clients : Electronics
    12-16-2013 07:04 PM
    I suggested that Microsoft make a cheap TV box a little while ago, and everyone here HATED the idea for reasons they weren't really able to articulate.

Chromecast is an interesting device but very limited. It does not support DLNA (it would be much more useful if it did).
    Last edited by anony_mouse; 12-26-2013 at 05:48 AM. Reason: Grammar
    12-22-2013 07:08 AM