So, I just built a new workstation/desktop to replace my aging iMac. I'm not a stranger to Windows, just been using Macs more, and for longer. I also have a Win7 laptop.

I love the UI, the computer is snappy, clean, and very stable thus far, barring a few little issues that needed to be ironed out. There's just one thing that has kinda got me a little confused, and that is the software (in general)

...does it seem to anyone else to have uh, taken a step backwards...? I installed Dropbox and I couldn't even pick which local folder it stores my documents! ...or even access it from Windows Explorer! What other surprises am I in for? :o
    12-17-2013 01:34 PM
    If you're on a desktop, I would opt for the desktop versions of apps like that over the Store based ones. The Store has to work with RT versions of Windows as well which doesn't give the same level of file system access and such. With certain apps, the desktop versions are just better right now.
    Laura Knotek and xandros9 like this.
    12-17-2013 01:44 PM
    I like this app for when I want to view my files on the modern interface. File Browser app for Windows in the Windows Store
    12-17-2013 03:04 PM
    I like this app for when I want to view my files on the modern interface. File Browser app for Windows in the Windows Store
    Hey, that's really good! I like the UI of that, when I get a Tablet (IF I get a tablet, I'm afraid the jury is still out), that's gotta be one of my first grabs.
    12-18-2013 02:51 AM
    As others have said, if you want to use Dropbox from the desktop you need to install the desktop version of Dropbox from their website. The Windows Store app for Dropbox is for the touch side of Windows 8 not the desktop. I don't use Dropbox, but I'm guessing you can install both the touch and desktop versions and use whichever makes sense for the device you are using or the task you are trying to accomplish.

https://www.dropbox.com/downloading?src=index

For a laptop/tablet hybrid device it is not uncommon to have both touch and desktop versions of some apps installed. Microsoft OneNote is a good example. I often use the desktop version when I'm working in "laptop mode" and the Modern UI version when I'm in tablet mode. A similar situation exists for media players (Windows Media Player vs. Xbox Music), image editors (Photoshop vs. Photoshop Express), and even Internet Explorer. The concept is still very new and may be confusing to some at first, but it's actually one of the strengths of Windows 8. You can chose the right tool for the job without changing to a different OS or device.
    Silver Wind and xandros9 like this.
    12-18-2013 03:34 PM