Steve Ballmer(build 2012) "Every time you watch tv, you will see an advert for windows or windows ph

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Steve Ballmer(build 2012) "Every time you watch tv, you will see an advert for windows or windows ph

Microsoft were not joking when they said that. Watch tv right now, I guarantee you will see one of Microsoft's products being advertised.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Re: Steve Ballmer(build 2012) "Every time you watch tv, you will see an advert for windows or window

I was watching Superman - Man of steel the other day and low and behold, there was Windows Phone.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Re: Steve Ballmer(build 2012) "Every time you watch tv, you will see an advert for windows or window

Yet another good reason to read a book or go for a walk.
I haven't seen Microsoft's TV adverts, but their poster adverts are HORRIBLE. They feature a picture of someone you would cross the street to avoid and say "Honestly" in big letters, followed by "I can work where I want" is small letters.
Please can someone explain why the word "Honestly" is included - it makes the **** in the picture look even more like an insurance saleswoman/man.
And please can someone else explain the "I can work where I want". I can already do that because my employer provides a laptop.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site

Yet another good reason to read a book or go for a walk.
I haven't seen Microsoft's TV adverts, but their poster adverts are HORRIBLE. They feature a picture of someone you would cross the street to avoid and say "Honestly" in big letters, followed by "I can work where I want" is small letters.
Please can someone explain why the word "Honestly" is included - it makes the **** in the picture look even more like an insurance saleswoman/man.
And please can someone else explain the "I can work where I want". I can already do that because my employer provides a laptop.
Eww. While I haven't seen their poster ads, their TV ads made Windows 8 look cool.

Then again, they only ran for half a year before stopping and they weren't really anything special.

<Edit> That "I can work where I want" thing is a reference to tablets. Which isn't really a good idea, since a lot of people wouldn't really care about working on a tablet.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site

I went to windowsphone.com and saw another one of those "honestly" ads. They look ridiculous.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site

Eww. While I haven't seen their poster ads, their TV ads made Windows 8 look cool.

Then again, they only ran for half a year before stopping and they weren't really anything special.

<Edit> That "I can work where I want" thing is a reference to tablets. Which isn't really a good idea, since a lot of people wouldn't really care about working on a tablet.

Indeed... I think Microsoft seriously need to work on their marketing. They spend a lot but the adverts I have seen are really bad. They look like they were made by a work experience student of below average intelligence.

Here's an example: http://cdn1.appleinsider.com/Windows.works.112613.jpg
Seems to be a US version with a different strap line (as I believe they are called) than I saw, but you get the idea.

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site

I see some of those honestly ads printed on the train. Looks cheesy. The TV ads I've seen seem ok.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site

I think the "honestly" ads are supposed to address the whole apprehension people have with "Windows." It's like an admission that "if I'm going to be totally honest as opposed to saying what everyone else is saying, then yeah, Windows is pretty cool."

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site

Its kinda funny how FOX NFL Sunday is sponsored heavily by Verizon and Samsung and they have Surface's in front of them. =D

At least they did, I can't say if they have or not the most recent weeks.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site

I think the "honestly" ads are supposed to address the whole apprehension people have with "Windows." It's like an admission that "if I'm going to be totally honest as opposed to saying what everyone else is saying, then yeah, Windows is pretty cool."

Unfortunately for Microsoft, what it actually says is "although you would call the police if I went near your children, please listen to what I have to say about computer software".

Btw, what apprehension do people have about Windows? It's a product that almost everyone has used, so any apprehension is likely to be well founded. I suggested here a few months ago that WP would benefit from a name change, because people have negative associations with the Windows brand and the reaction was negative to a rather psychologically disturbed degree. Now I see others are also thinking the same thing. Good to see my ideas are not as unpopular as others claimed!

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site

Many argue that MS's biggest mistake was to name their mobile OS "Windows".

Funny thing is how many tech sites even said WP to be WM.. Lol..

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site

'Windows, see it through' i just made this up and this sounds way better than HONESTLY

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site

Unfortunately for Microsoft, what it actually says is "although you would call the police if I went near your children, please listen to what I have to say about computer software".

Btw, what apprehension do people have about Windows? It's a product that almost everyone has used, so any apprehension is likely to be well founded. I suggested here a few months ago that WP would benefit from a name change, because people have negative associations with the Windows brand and the reaction was negative to a rather psychologically disturbed degree. Now I see others are also thinking the same thing. Good to see my ideas are not as unpopular as others claimed!

I think you received a negative reaction because the time for making that choice has long gone. With unification taking place, it no longer makes sense to try to make WP appear different than Windows. We had that discussion here many many times in the early days of WP7.

As for the apprehension about Windows... it's largely based off or marketing hype. While most people do use Windows, they also do see it as buggy because of successful attempts by Apple to paint Windows as a virus filled clunky environment. So when ANYTHING happens on their computer, people assume "It's because Windows is buggy." or "Windows gets viruses" or "Windows is slow."

techcentral

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site

I kind of like the TV ads. They seem to be pretty okay!

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site

As for the apprehension about Windows... it's largely based off or marketing hype. While most people do use Windows, they also do see it as buggy because of successful attempts by Apple to paint Windows as a virus filled clunky environment. So when ANYTHING happens on their computer, people assume "It's because Windows is buggy." or "Windows gets viruses" or "Windows is slow."

It's always someone else's fault, isn't it? Apple has fooled people like this, Google has fooled them like that. Even people who use Windows (which is pretty much everyone) have been tricked into not believing their own eyes!

The constant stream of conspiracy theories and paranoia is what makes this forum so addictive.

SanjitVignesh

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site

In India, I can see Nokia's ads on all channels at least once in 10 minutes either for the new Asha devices or the 1520.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site

It's always someone else's fault, isn't it? Apple has fooled people like this, Google has fooled them like that. Even people who use Windows (which is pretty much everyone) have been tricked into not believing their own eyes!

The constant stream of conspiracy theories and paranoia is what makes this forum so addictive.

It's not a "fault" thing. It's competition and marketing. Apple was brilliant in establishing the narrative that Windows is slow and buggy.

MS has been brilliant in establishing the narrative that Apple isn't good for getting work done.

No conspiracy theories. The closest thing to a conspiracy theory is you thinking there is a conspiracy theory.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

Most of the Windows Phone commercial have been great. I think they have done a great job.

I like the new Surface Commercials better then the dancing and clicking ones. They sure were pretty, and no one had any idea what they were supposed to buy by the end of them.

2 things sell: Humor or a simple message. MS has moved to people talking about how much they love their devices while a split screen shows what the device does/looks like. Simple. It will work.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site

By the way, they should really build the image of Windows on their (official) OS-tans, Madobe Ai and Madobe Yu, to build off their success with Aizawa Inori.

No, that was not sarcastic, and would be particularly successful in Japan. Just pull off a Comiket sponsored by Microsoft, and watch as Windows suddenly becomes cool! (Well, maybe.)

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site

MS' marketing has really stepped up nicely as of late. The new tablet and hybrid commercials that came out with 8.1 have not been too bold, but they are pleasant and get the point across.

Apple just seems to be going the overly dramatic route now, and Google just uses clips from pop culture to sell their junk. Yeah cool, I saw a brief clip of that movie I liked... i'm still not buying a POS Chromebook.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos