01-13-2014 12:03 PM
80 1234
tools
    windows phone doesn't have any future because 60% of windows phone users are on 512 mb ram and 8 gb of storage devices and who are constantly waiting for apps and games and features that are on 1 gb ram wp or are available on the other platformss...and these users are not at all satisfied with this and the fact that their devices would be useless once 8.1 comes out all within a year ...and one year is quite a long period to stay with this platform anyway....ios may have less devices but all the users get unified experience at least for two years....
    how can you possibly compare a $99 smart phone that has dropped to $59 with iPhones which cost $649 when they come out and never drops in price???
    seriously???
    would've spend six hundred on Apple would you? or not cuz you're a cheapo but wants expensive features. dream on!
    01-08-2014 02:04 AM
    I said at least for" two years" they get unified experience...and they do for apps and games part and for most of the features part too .....anyways you should think and do better when you don't even have a 5% of market share and when you have already burnt your customers once before than just barely catching up to your competition....
    01-08-2014 02:19 AM
    just comparing 520 and 525....not an iPhone...just read and grasp better....
    01-08-2014 02:21 AM
    I said at least for" two years" they get unified experience...and they do for apps and games part and for most of the features part too .....anyways you should think and do better when you don't even have a 5% of market share and when you have already burnt your customers once before than just barely catching up to your competition....
    Ask anyone with a iPhone 4/4S how much they like iOS7. Most don't.
    01-08-2014 04:03 AM
    just comparing 520 and 525....not an iPhone...just read and grasp better....
    I'm going to agree with you on something. First is that I think 512MB devices were a huge mistake. Second I also think SD cards are a mistake as well. Most people won't agree with my second statement.

As for the future of WP, no one can say. It appears to be doing better. I am seeing more WP around. Saying that though, unless WP8.1 is great, not just good, I don't see it getting much better.

As it stands, I can't even be sure I'll get WP8.1 as my device will be close to 2 years old and EE being a crap company so there's every possiblity that they won't release the update for it. Unless MS has a contract with them saying the must release it, which they'll do so grudgingly, maybe 3-4 months after everyone else gets it. So like many, I'm not overly impressed by how long it's taken to get a major update (ignoring the GDRs).

As it stands now. I'm mostly happy with WP. I'm not happy with a few things about it but on the whole it does what I need. Whether I'll stick to it is another story. For anyone thinking that I'm some sort of deserter, I've always had this stance.
    akshaypn likes this.
    01-08-2014 04:17 AM
    They really are very slow on WP side. WP 8.1 will just going to be announce this April,

after that I will probably have to wait another 1-3 months before it comes to my 920.
    01-08-2014 04:24 AM
    I'm not really sure too about this thing. But in here, I think it's partially true. Seldom here the news about Microsoft and I'm not sure what are their target in here. But, strangely is, their twitter account are quite active, but they will never reply (to me at least). Ask them about their products, no reply.
    I wonder why they don't make Surface available in here. Even after the 2nd generation of Surface has surfaced, the 1st generation of Surface is nowhere to be found or heard. Other brands like Sony, Samsung, Lenovo, Asus, etc. keeps pushing out new products (Tablet) that runs on Windows 8 whenever they have one.

Beside the gadgets, I also wanted to try how to implement Office 365 in our company. So I contacted them on December 12, 2013 through email, and the customer service representative always reply very quick. So the staff said she will contact relevant department to call me.
    After a while, I asked her back, she said the team has contacted me. I gave them my primary and secondary number. Actually, the primary number that I gave her has 1 less digit. So that's my mistake. But, the problem is, whoever that called to that wrong number did not even ask first what's the name. Then she said, the relevant team has contacted me but, they said I was on training. Unbelievable, it seems like there is no intention from the Microsoft staff to even call me. It's my mistake that I gave wrong primary number but they didn't even confirm first who they called and simply said I was on training, while in fact, they were calling the wrong person. And didn't even bother to call my secondary number. Until now, the relevant team from Microsoft has not even contacted me.

So based on my experience, yes, Microsoft is way too slow (in Indonesia)
    01-08-2014 06:07 AM
    They really are very slow on WP side. WP 8.1 will just going to be announce this April,

after that I will probably have to wait another 1-3 months before it comes to my 920.
    By the time 8.1 comes out the 920 will be close to two years old, I doubt very much that the 920 will get 8.1.
    I could be wrong though, and I hope I am...
    01-08-2014 08:59 AM
    By the time 8.1 comes out the 920 will be close to two years old, I doubt very much that the 920 will get 8.1.
    I could be wrong though, and I hope I am...
    All W8 phones are supposed to get WP8.1. The only thing that may prevent it is carriers. I think this will be the big question on people's minds. Unless it's in their contracts to release it there could be a lot of disappointed people or possible hacking backed by MS.
    01-08-2014 09:09 AM
    MS needs to push extremely hard to get carriers to push the updates. How many people had to use the WP update tool to get 7.8? I know I did. When the new version of iOS comes out it is available on the spot. I realize it is probably easier because there aren't as many devices and its more in demand, but come on. It is in the interest of ATT, Verizon, and any other carrier to make sure that WP is as appealing as possible to consumers. You want to at least make the people who have already purchased a phone to be happy so they will keep coming back. I am not sure how difficult it is to roll out an update, but I hope they do a much better job of it.
    01-08-2014 09:26 AM
    All W8 phones are supposed to get WP8.1. The only thing that may prevent it is carriers. I think this will be the big question on people's minds. Unless it's in their contracts to release it there could be a lot of disappointed people or possible hacking backed by MS.
    I agree. Rather than saying that all WP8 phones WILL get WP8.1, it's probably more accurate to say that they CAN get 8.1. I highly doubt that all carrier-branded devices will get it, such as AT&T's 520 and 920 (due to it being around 2 years old by the time WP8.1 is released). Hopefully Microsoft will also release 8.1 similar to GDR3 where any WP8 device can get it.

When WP was released I was really hoping we'd see an Apple-like update system. Instead it's more like Android's.
    01-08-2014 09:28 AM
    When WP was released I was really hoping we'd see an Apple-like update system. Instead it's more like Android's.
    Carriers too powerful and WP too weak. Simple. MS and Nokia are at the mercy of the carriers. They'll do whatever the carriers want, which is why there's so many damn handset variations.
    01-08-2014 09:34 AM
    I guest its hard to say how fast is fast enough. Part of the problem is they tell people that this is comming and that is comming and yet it takes what seems like forever for it to get there. At least WP8 is growing, maybe not as fast as we would like; but it is growing. I know my whole family now uses WP8 phones. In the beginning I was the only one. I have hedged my bet on the whole thing. I use WP8 phones; but my three tablets are all Android, my two desktops are 8.1. If it looks like Microsoft is not making enough progress I can always switch my phones to Android, and go that route. I would like to keep the mix I have now, but it would not crush me to have to change. I even have Bluestacks on my desktops.
    I believe WP8 is going to be a fair sized success. I think in the LONG term it is going to push IOS for second; but I don't think either will top Android. But you never know. I still remember (not too long ago) when Android only had 5 or 6% of the mobile market. Don't know how this Android on desktop computers is going to do. That is the big IF.
    01-08-2014 09:57 AM
    I feel Microsoft isn't moving slow at all. Look at last year, and all the phones they released. The number they released last year were on par with Samsung's, and Microsoft just came out with the 1520 and 525 just last month. I don't see how that can be equated to moving slowly.
    01-09-2014 02:15 AM
    You're wrong about iOS, though. Older iPhones did not get some of the newer features such as Siri, due to lack of hardware. Would you say Apple was wrong and didn't think about the future? That's not a "unified experience" either.
    Its evident Nokia is thinking about this even with the amber update. I don't have a glance screen on my phone for obvious reasons
    01-09-2014 03:43 AM
    I don't need a grand slam every day, but maybe a base hit? Its true that they are a huge company and are involved in many different businesses, but that is all the more reason for me to expect more news. WPCentral does a great job of reporting on their phones, but what about new ideas and productions and innovations?

An example is that right now the biggest selling point for the Surface Pro is that it can run native Windows programs and is essentially a tablet with the capabilities of a laptop. I have heard recently that both Apple and Google are working on tablets that work similarly (although with their own respective platforms). When I hear news like that, I would expect MS to announce something new an interesting that they intend to add to the Surface Pro 3 or an upgrade to the Surface Pro 2 that should keep it ahead of its competitors. I know its still early, but this is just an example.

There isn't a ton of buzz about Surface or Windows 8 tablets to begin with, but now their competitors are coming out with products that will most likely blow it out of the water in terms of sales. This would be the time for MS to defend the fort and offer some information on why their products are leading the way and not being left behind.
    its already happened:

the iPad
    the kindles
    the androidtabs

until I'm proven wrong with sales numbers, the surface vs world battle is over.
    01-09-2014 04:22 AM
    I agree. Rather than saying that all WP8 phones WILL get WP8.1, it's probably more accurate to say that they CAN get 8.1.
    Exactly. That is also what MS' has always been saying: "WP8 will be upgradable". That is not the same as saying they will be upgraded. I've taken this position for almost two years now, which was often met with hostility... many refered to MS' support lifecycle (36 months blah blah) as proof that all devices would get updates, which consumers completely misunderstand... no thanks to the media.

I agree 100% with the rest as well. MS started out with great plans and the best of intentions, most of which was trashed by U.S. carriers.

On the other hand, I'm still optimistic that every device will get WP8.1, MS just can't guarantee it.

IMHO this is one of WP's biggest failures. Like stock brokers, consumers despise uncertainty. MS needs to find a way around carriers' legal restrictions... that Xbox music and Xbox video are being removed from the OS image and will instead be distributed through the app store is just a first step...
    01-09-2014 04:39 AM
    On the other hand, I'm still optimistic that every device will get WP8.1, MS just can't guarantee it.

IMHO this is one of WP's biggest failures. Like stock brokers, consumers despise uncertainty. MS needs to find a way around carriers' legal restrictions... that Xbox music and Xbox video are being removed from the OS image and will instead be distributed through the app store is just a first step...
    I'm personally expecting a MS backed hack of some sort to come out so people can get WP8.1 and other updates. My phone is unlocked but still tied to EE here in the UK. So I'm at the mercy of EE for my updates. This is not acceptable. Any phones that do not get updated will make MS look very bad, even though it will be the carriers fault and MS dragging the WP8.1 update out so far.
    01-09-2014 05:25 AM
    Nokia are responsible for updating unlocked phones, not the operator. That's why the update progress given by Nokia is different for unlocked phones.
    01-09-2014 07:01 AM
    Nokia are responsible for updating unlocked phones, not the operator. That's why the update progress given by Nokia is different for unlocked phones.
    Nope. If you unlock a carrier phone it is still tied to that carrier to when updates come out. This is the biggest annoyance of WP if you want updates. If you bought a fully unlocked phone then yes, you are correct.
    01-09-2014 07:05 AM
    Ruddy Nora, that is annoying. I bought a fully unlocked phone so I naturally assumed it would be the same for one unlocked post purchase. Another lesson in not buying carrier locked devices for everyone. All I can suggest, then, is that people flash their phones with totally unbranded firmware manually. That would work, right?
    01-09-2014 11:21 AM
    Ruddy Nora, that is annoying. I bought a fully unlocked phone so I naturally assumed it would be the same for one unlocked post purchase. Another lesson in not buying carrier locked devices for everyone. All I can suggest, then, is that people flash their phones with totally unbranded firmware manually. That would work, right?
    Yes that would work. Being locked or not is completely irrelevant in regard to how and when updates reach your device. The "branding", or more precisely, the product code that is embedded in the devices firmware (usually also printed on the box) is what matters.
    N_LaRUE likes this.
    01-09-2014 01:03 PM
    Android is free, well developed and popular while Windows Phone is neither free nor so popular.
    Most smartphone designers prefer a free good OS for their phones (like Android). There is little reason to pay money to Microsoft and develop a partnership with it when you can have an OS at least as good as WP for free.
    From what I understand, while the OS is free, in order to have the Google functions and play store and such the manufacturer needs to pay Google.

The only people that "free" android are helped by are rooters and cheap Chinese producers that are only making stuff for use within their own country.

its already happened:

the iPad
    the kindles
    the androidtabs

until I'm proven wrong with sales numbers, the surface vs world battle is over.
    *sigh*

You really don't get it. Surface is a glorified tech demo. It isn't intended to be a product in its own right. Rather, it exists to gin up interest for Windows 8. Other laptop manufacturers then see what they make, go "oooh and aaaahhh", then start producing their own. Which is exactly what is happening.

Microsoft only needs to sell Windows. Surface is a means, not an end.
    01-12-2014 09:51 PM
    From what I understand, while the OS is free, in order to have the Google functions and play store and such the manufacturer needs to pay Google.

The only people that "free" android are helped by are rooters and cheap Chinese producers that are only making stuff for use within their own country.

*sigh*

You really don't get it. Surface is a glorified tech demo. It isn't intended to be a product in its own right. Rather, it exists to gin up interest for Windows 8. Other laptop manufacturers then see what they make, go "oooh and aaaahhh", then start producing their own. Which is exactly what is happening.

Microsoft only needs to sell Windows. Surface is a means, not an end.
    actually ive understood that for a while.

in the mean time, what i stated is still current, and happening
    01-13-2014 09:26 AM
    The 920 was the first flagship phone for WP8. I don't see it not getting 8.1. Poor speculation.
    01-13-2014 10:15 AM
80 1234