01-07-2014 06:04 PM
    Good. Dunno how he would've done here.
    01-07-2014 06:13 PM
    Shame. A strong CEO like Mullaly is what Microsoft needs to change the culture. There is definitely a disconnect on the bridge of that ship.
    01-07-2014 06:26 PM
    Alan would have been a good choice in that he is enough of an outsider to step in and make the necessary changes to fix problems. His turnaround of Ford was amazing, especially when the added wrinkle in this case was the power of the Ford family in the company.

I hope Microsoft can find someone that can take a critical and objective look at Microsoft to see what needs fixed.
    01-08-2014 10:01 AM
    Thank goodness
    01-08-2014 11:07 AM
    Shame - he seemed to be by far the best candidate.
    01-13-2014 07:51 AM
    For stock holders like yourself probably
    01-13-2014 11:00 AM
    I can understand if you're pining for another candidate, but Mullaly has turned around two conglomerates that were in a heap o's**t when he took over. Both of those companies are better off for his leadership and so are the workers who still have a job. If shareholders get a little love along the way, that's gravy.
    01-13-2014 02:29 PM
    Who else matters?
    01-14-2014 12:46 AM
    Who else matters?
    The people who assemble the products. The people who deliver the products. The people who sell the products and finally, the people who buy the products. Next time you or anyone else has a problem with ANY product, go b***h to the share holders, not the CS agent.
    01-14-2014 11:02 AM
    I'm still hoping for the Qualcomm CEO (can't remember his name). Apparently he started as an engineer and worked his way up the corporate ladder and sounds like just the kind of guy Microsoft needs.
    01-14-2014 11:14 AM
    The people who assemble the products. The people who deliver the products. The people who sell the products and finally, the people who buy the products. Next time you or anyone else has a problem with ANY product, go b***h to the share holders, not the CS agent.
    I think you misunderstand how capitalism works. The interests of those people are supposed to be represented via the shareholders. If you **** those people off too much, they stop developing, supporting and buying your products and the shareholders make less money. That's the theory. Others are available.
    Last edited by anony_mouse; 01-14-2014 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Removed political presumption
    01-14-2014 02:29 PM
    I think you misunderstand how capitalism works. The interests of those people are supposed to be represented via the shareholders. If you **** those people off too much, they stop developing, supporting and buying your products and the shareholders make less money. That's the theory. Others are available.
    You're 100% right, that's the theory. The other part of that theorem suggests the shareholders should re-invest the dividends to avoid taxes and to capitalize the company in an effort to spur further R&D, expansion, etc. You must have read that theory from a book written in the 60's.
    01-14-2014 07:56 PM
    all signs point to Elop.
    01-14-2014 08:02 PM
    I'm still hoping for the Qualcomm CEO (can't remember his name). Apparently he started as an engineer and worked his way up the corporate ladder and sounds like just the kind of guy Microsoft needs.
    he was COO, is now CEO. basically no chance of that.
    01-14-2014 08:03 PM
    Shame. A strong CEO like Mullaly is what Microsoft needs to change the culture. There is definitely a disconnect on the bridge of that ship.
    totally agree. with nothing to prove, he could have done the one thing that 's really hard: shake up the board. that takes about 3 years, then handpick your successor.
    01-14-2014 08:03 PM
    In practice, engineers generally make poor CEOs because of their mindset. That's not a blanket indictment but it generally holds true. Just like former QBs have made lousy Head Coaches throughout the entire history of the NFL and pitchers make lousy MLB managers.

While it would be an asset to have an IT background, a CEO has to be a people-person first and foremost. A leader has to inspire his charges, evaluate the talent pool and know who to delegate to carry out his marching orders.

As for the Qualcomm guy, didn't he have to put out a fire based on comments someone at Qualcomm made about the new Apple 64-bit chip? Sounds to me like an engineer getting caught with his pants down and sticking his foot in his mouth. See where I'm coming from?

Qualcomm retracts 'gimmick' comment on Apple 64-bit chip | Business Tech - CNET News
    01-14-2014 08:08 PM
    I think that a lot of people are misunderstanding what MS is looking for in a CEO.

They aren't looking for someone to revamp the company completely. They're not looking for a completely new strategy.

They're looking for someone to take over and continue the current path.

There is a reason that the company reorg and the purchase of Nokia happened already. This is the path that they want to pursue. This is the direction they are going. They are looking for a leader that is willing to take this path and successfully navigate it.

It's like if we were in California and wanted to drive to New York. I'd be looking for someone that could get me to New York efficiently. I wouldn't want someone who comes in and says, "You know... we'd be better off going to Florida."
    dkediger likes this.
    01-14-2014 08:52 PM
    There is a reason that the company reorg and the purchase of Nokia happened already. This is the path that they want to pursue. This is the direction they are going. They are looking for a leader that is willing to take this path and successfully navigate it......
    Indeed, I think Ballmer stated that his weakness was he couldn't move the pieces fast enough for the strategy to be effective.
    01-14-2014 09:13 PM
    Indeed, I think Ballmer stated that his weakness was he couldn't move the pieces fast enough for the strategy to be effective.
    I do recall him saying something about how him stepping down is partially symbolic.

The whole company has to "buy in" to the new Microsoft. As long as he's there, they won't truly believe that things are different because he's part of the "old" Microsoft. So even if he's 100% on board with the new direction, having him as the figurehead kind of gets in the way.
    01-14-2014 10:26 PM
    You're 100% right, that's the theory. The other part of that theorem suggests the shareholders should re-invest the dividends to avoid taxes and to capitalize the company in an effort to spur further R&D, expansion, etc. You must have read that theory from a book written in the 60's.
    I didn't read the theory in a book. I thought it was obvious.
    Do you think it's wrong? How should we change things?
    01-14-2014 11:49 PM