How do we get others to love Windows?

joe_easton

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I am a long time WP user (had a DVP, Nokia Lumia 800 and now the 8X). I love WP and the user experience but I am ashamed to say that I have had no luck getting anyone I know to switch. I try and always find that there is an app or feature that they are not willing to give up.

Wireless printing
Dedicated apps for fitness, shopping, etc
iTunes (people want to purchase from iTunes as they always have)
Games (specifically social games like Candy Crush)

These are just a few issues that I can recall.

Then on top of that, I mention all the reasons I love my WP and am often countered with that fact that many of MS services that I use on WP are also available on other platforms. SkyDrive, OneNote, etc. Is it just easier to use iOS with MS services on it rather than use WP?

I have the 8X and the Surface RT and often wonder if I would be just as happy with an iPhone 5S and an iPad? Don't get me wrong, I love the start screen, tiles, etc but it seems like we just aren't catching up fast enough. I have co-workers that can VPN into our network via an iPad and I can't do it with my Surface. It's frustrating and makes it appear to be an inferior product.

Has anyone else had success converting friends/family to WP? Let me know how so I can do the same!

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
If people ask me for advice I try to give them a neutral opinion of all the platforms, maybe emphasizing the advantages of WP. I have also bought my mother a WP device for example, which is actually one of my most WP pushing acts.

However I would never approach people and try to make them switch, and that for two reasons: First of all I don't think it's of my business what they are using. Secondly and much more important: I really wouldn't have the patience or energy to put up with their problems and complaints coming from them switching platforms.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Just out of curiosity... What's wrong with wireless printing? MS has a huge advantage compared to Apple in that category. I can hit ctrl + p and have every wireless printer show up, where as the iPad only natively supports airprint printers while requiring third party apps to fill in the gap.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
The problem is that many relate Windows to the crummy old Dell Dimension with like 256 MB of RAM and a crappy Celeron processor that they have sitting in the corner of the family room running Windows XP. Much of the hate of Vista or Windows 8 comes from people parroting the opinions of others. If people have a few minutes to check out Windows for themselves, I think most see it's not that bad. But the non functioning display units at Best Buy aren't helping.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Just out of curiosity... What's wrong with wireless printing? MS has a huge advantage compared to Apple in that category. I can hit ctrl + p and have every wireless printer show up, where as the iPad only natively supports airprint printers while requiring third party apps to fill in the gap.

I think they're referring to WP here not W8.1 or Surface (though not sure about Surface)

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Wireless printing
Dedicated apps for fitness, shopping, etc
iTunes (people want to purchase from iTunes as they always have)
Games (specifically social games like Candy Crush)

There will always be something someone wants that WP won't have or may never have. If a person is so stuck on something that prevents them from wanting to switch you'll never convince them.

iTunes isn't really an issue. You can use your PC as a means over getting around that. Until WP8 hits a high number there won't ever be a client for it, if ever. I think the only reason Apple makes the Windows desktop app because they know people use them at work.

As for the rest of your list, most will be a matter of time. So maybe not now but sometime in the future.

Has anyone else had success converting friends/family to WP? Let me know how so I can do the same!

I will never convert anyone to any platform. I am completely honesst about anything I use. I see both the bad and the good. People need to make up their own minds but lots just buy what their friends have or what the store assistant suggeted. Until MS gets their act in gear and educates the mobile carrier staff we'll keep seeing more and more Androids and iPhones.

joe_easton

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I agree; I never approach people but they ask my opinion since they know I follow the cell phone industry closely. I would never push to get someone to switch.

joe_easton

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site

I am referring to Windows Phone; I do not know of anyway to print wirelessly from my phone.

joe_easton

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
The problem is that many relate Windows to the crummy old Dell Dimension with like 256 MB of RAM and a crappy Celeron processor that they have sitting in the corner of the family room running Windows XP. Much of the hate of Vista or Windows 8 comes from people parroting the opinions of others. If people have a few minutes to check out Windows for themselves, I think most see it's not that bad. But the non functioning display units at Best Buy aren't helping.

I agree; my Best Buy has 0 Windows Phones on display. They act like they have this great relationship with MS but they only sell Samsung and iPhones. It's sad because many go to Best Buy for their phones.

joe_easton

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
That makes sense then. He was talking about the iPad and Surface RT so that why I assumed he was talking about that.

Sorry, my post jumped around. The wireless printing was about WP.

My Surface RT does wireless printing and is so easy it's amazing. It found the printer instantly and never had any issues. Just with my phone did that too.

Editguy1900

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
I've converted three people in the last two months. I do it by demonstrating my phone (L925). And, I'm actively trying to convert because I want WP to succeed so I don't have to switch to an OS I don't like. The biggest roadblock has been the carrier stores. The sales people have tried to talk them out of buying one. I warned them ahead of time that would happen and to stick to their guns.

Darryl Dixon

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Windows needs to be more innovative. Everyone is trying to push the envelope when it comes to mobile tech, Microsoft is always a step behind. I still believe Microsoft is a dinosaur in the Mobile tech industry. Everything that the IPhone needs hardware/accessories etc., Apple is in the process of manufacturing. Microsoft is at the mercy of third party manufacturers(who see WP as an afterthought) because it doesn't have the vision to build complimentary hardware and Accessories to make the WP experience enjoyable. As an example, the smartwatch seems to be one of the next big things, none seem to be compatible with WP. So why isn't Microsoft building their own,Like Apple definitely is in the process of doing?

maclancer

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
Windows needs to be more innovative. Everyone is trying to push the envelope when it comes to mobile tech, Microsoft is always a step behind. I still believe Microsoft is a dinosaur in the Mobile tech industry. Everything that the IPhone needs hardware/accessories etc., Apple is in the process of manufacturing. Microsoft is at the mercy of third party manufacturers(who see WP as an afterthought) because it doesn't have the vision to build complimentary hardware and Accessories to make the WP experience enjoyable. As an example, the smartwatch seems to be one of the next big things, none seem to be compatible with WP. So why isn't Microsoft building their own,Like Apple definitely is in the process of doing?

don't you hear that Microsoft bought Nokia and the process will be complete in a few months. Microsoft will be building phones with their own brand this will change everything for the better.

maclancer

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
I am referring to Windows Phone; I do not know of anyway to print wirelessly from my phone.
did you checked the windows store? There are few apps that allows you to print, kumoprint and printhand seen to be the best options. There are more, just put "printer" on the search option in the windows store.

Speedygi

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
Actually, my favorite thing to do is to just use the phone in front of them, and soon enough they will start asking questions, and that's when I open up about the apps and capabilities of the phone.

Like anything, it should be a natural thing, and that shows off in your passion for the platform more than merely selling a product. God forbid those people who try to force devices on friends and family...

Rainmarie

Jan 9, 2014
Visit site
I'm a female and I carry my phone everywhere. People turn their heads because of the size of the phone. I was converted to WP because a coworker was doing just that. 😃

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss