If you could wish for Microsoft to do one thing....

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
If you could talk with someone inside Microsoft and get them to do one thing, what would it be?

The only rule is that it has to be specific. You can't write "fix Xbox music" or "fix WP" or "integrate this with that", you can only write like "add Xbox music to this country" or "add X to WP".

My personal pick would be that they make managing your music in Xbox music easier on Windows 8.1.*

*edited to clarify a derp

Last edited:

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I wish for a lot of things for Microsoft to do. I would like them to raise windows phone above other OS's in a clear/defined way, i.e. improve multitasking, bring out a revolutionary cortana with improved voice recognition that is better than the existing Tell Me and Xbox. Also, I would like them to integrate Skype like iMessage but with improved functionality like conferencing that isn't hidden behind a paywall. There's things about Xbox and Windows 8 that I'd like them to improve to, but I'll just leave that for another time.

HungryPotter21

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
Give its consumers the OPTIONS:

* background wallpaper
* swiping from the left brings back you to the previous app you have minimize just like in windows 8
* file manager that use to browse files and other docs ready to be shared
* messaging hub ability to send pictures and other files
* sorting of apps in app list depending on your usage,favorites etc.
* usable folder tile that is similar to people hub not like what Nokia app.

xboxonthego3

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Release some info on the Surface Mini! Or Mini's? Lol I'm interested in what Microsoft can offer in the 8 inch range. The Thinkpad 8 has got me thinking.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
For me, I would like one more menu option. Right now, we have the main tile menu, then you sweep left and have the alphabetical menu. I would like one more sweep left to have a menu I could set up with either more tiles or shorter menu for the "second tier" of selections I use, just not as much as what I keep on my home screen. Sometimes, my tiles are so freaking long I lose track of where I put what. The alphabetical menu is fine for those selections I only use every once in a while. But I sure would love one more menu to set up those things I need to get to quick, but don't use every day.

For instance, I use Office a lot, but really do not want to clutter up my home screen with several of the One Note documents I have. Be nice to "sweep...sweep.." and have that list right there instead of tapping on Office, sweeping to my list, thumbing through the list by "recently used", and THEN opening it.

By the way, IF everyone plays nice and only lists one item and why they would like it, this could be a fun thread....

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
A unified store where buying an app or game would give you that app or game on all platforms: XBOX, WIndows 8, Windows RT, and Windows Phone.

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Hmmm....Choosing just one, lets see, make it:
Open the API's a bit. Miss having a visual WiFi sniffer and a "Swype" style keyboard.

keitarokidd

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
One thing, just one thing only: Microsoft Windows Ubuntu a.k.a Windows 9 a.k.a Windows phone 9 or whatever they want to call.

One platform for all devices.

One ring to rule them all!!!

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
In a word - innovate.

Do something great, and do it first. Stop allowing competitors to produce something mediocre first and build up an unassailable monopoly.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Make everything an app.

We've all seen how carriers ruin our experience by delaying updates. We've all seen how Nokia override stuff in the OS with apps, that they can update as they choose.

It makes perfect sense that everything possible should be ripped out of the core OS, and made into apps. Therefore they can update the music player, or the mail client, or the bluetooth stack, or whatever, at the drop of the hat.

They should do it for WP, Windows, RT, their vehicle systems, embedded systems, everything.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Make everything an app.

That would be nice. It would at least help alleviate that problem of manufacturers and carriers getting in the way of updates. But don't stop with apps. Send updates to the OS like Windows. The PC's manufacturer has nothing to do with Windows updates. They come to all computers at the same time, regardless of the manufacturer. Maybe there are logistical reasons that mobile devices aren't done this way; I don't know. But it makes sense to me.

Funny how when WP8 first came out we said how nice it is that we don't need apps because everything is built in. Now we're saying that everything should be an app! :shocked:

jedpatrickdatu

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
Don't price your products too highly like Apple. I found their first Surfaces to be very overpriced compared to other tablets. Xbox One is also overpriced compared to the PS4. Windows and Office are pretty expensive too.

This is especially important for developing countries who want or need their products. Windows is very important here for work and school. They seem to be focused too much on America. I hope they realize that they can make plenty of money in developing countries as well.

I also live in a developing country(Philippines) and I'm worried that the Lumias will be out of my budget when Microsoft starts to be the one making them.

The pricing seems to be getting better now though. The Surface 2 and Surface 2 Pro are a lot better priced than the first generation. I hope it goes this way in the future.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
This sounds simple but I'm sure it will be pointed out that it's not possible or doesn't make sense.

I'm with Verizon (CDMA) in the US. If I want a 1520, I have to switch carriers and change plans to have the 1520.

Now, if a GSM user wants a ICON (929), he can buy it and just put his SIM card in and use it on his Network and keep his plan; etc.

If the ICON can be dual use, why can't the GSM phones?

If I could stay on Verizon and put my SIM card in the 1520, I would do it in a heartbeat.

Microsoft, make the phones dual GSM/CDMA.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I want Microsoft to start doing an apple like thing and making their hardware for tablets, PC and mobile. I feel the half a*** of the OEMs is what is holding both windows and windows phone back to the degree and the surface is a perfect example of hardware made to match the software.

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
I agree with all the above points - id just add that ms should be COHESIVE with their strategy.

There are a lot of articles, doing the rounds , that posit ms's downfall - due to a botched windows 8 rollout, and the flip flop drm xbone debacle.

Have EVERYTHING fit together, unified, like a master eco system!

I understand we're a way from that but... I dunno, get a move on lol

I just get the feeling apple and google will get there first.

Bill Gates talked about the fully connected home and google buys NEST... Ugh :/

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I want Microsoft to start doing an apple like thing and making their hardware for tablets, PC and mobile. I feel the half a*** of the OEMs is what is holding both windows and windows phone back to the degree and the surface is a perfect example of hardware made to match the software.

Mostly agree. I think of Microsoft growing some balls and partnering with a few dedicated OEMs and telling the rest to get stuffed, starring with Acer. Then working to produce well designed, promoted and supported Windows hardware. Alas, will never happen.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes