If you could wish for Microsoft to do one thing....

radmanvr

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
I want Microsoft to start doing an apple like thing and making their hardware for tablets, PC and mobile. I feel the half a*** of the OEMs is what is holding both windows and windows phone back to the degree and the surface is a perfect example of hardware made to match the software.

What if I told you Microsoft did not make the hardware for the Surface

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Funny how when WP8 first came out we said how nice it is that we don't need apps because everything is built in. Now we're saying that everything should be an app! :shocked:

What you are referring to was all about service integration, whereas what SnailUK is referring to is all about software distribution. In the context of service integration, saying we don't need separated apps means: "we prefer various services to be integrated behind a single UI". One example being the ability to communicate transparently via Facebook chat or text messaging using only a single messaging client. Other OS' have since copied this. In the context of software distribution, saying we want separated apps doesn't mean we want those integrated services split from each other, but that we want the integrated services split from the OS.

To sum up, similar words are being used to describe completely different and unrelated things. It is absolutely consistent to want both. In a more professional environment, we'd probably be referring to horizontal vs. vertical integration, instead of "separating apps".

Last edited:

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
My wish:

MS should shift strategy and focus all available resources on making WP the single best platform for mobile/casual/social/cloud-supported/high-end gaming. I can think of nothing else that would resonate with enough consumers to boost WP from mediocre to acceptable market share.

Currently, MS' approach is to make it easier to port existing Android and iOS games to WP, which usually occurs as an afterthought. That won't sink WP, but that approach won't get WP anywhere either. WP needs some killer feature that is so obviously better, that it markets itself. MS' current focus is important too, but none of those efforts will lead to obvious advantages with enough appeal to switch large numbers of people to WP, particularly not those who are becoming ever more entrenched in the Google and Apple ecosystems.

Ivin Laney

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
...WP needs some killer feature that is so obviously better, that it markets itself. MS' current focus is important too, but none of those efforts will lead to obvious advantages with enough appeal to switch large numbers of people to WP, particularly not those who are becoming ever more entrenched in the Google and Apple ecosystems.

IMO I feel that is the tragic flaw with windows phone. It does many things very well but there aren't any obvious advantages over iOS and Android's implementations. I worry that once Microsoft closes all the gaps and windows phone reaches parity with the other operating systems, there won't be any obvious or compelling reason to switch. This becomes even more difficult when you consider how invested people are into the respective ecosystems. To answer the OP's question, I also wish Microsoft would find that killer feature. I'm rooting for the little guy but things don't look good.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
My wish:

MS should shift strategy and focus all available resources on making WP the single best platform for mobile/casual/social/cloud-supported/high-end gaming. I can think of nothing else that would resonate with enough consumers to boost WP from mediocre to acceptable market share.

Currently, MS' approach is to make it easier to port existing Android and iOS games to WP, which usually occurs as an afterthought. That won't sink WP, but that approach won't get WP anywhere either. WP needs some killer feature that is so obviously better, that it markets itself. MS' current focus is important too, but none of those efforts will lead to obvious advantages with enough appeal to switch large numbers of people to WP, particularly not those who are becoming ever more entrenched in the Google and Apple ecosystems.

I have always felt this should have been the way MS went with WP but Microsoft has been too focused on ios and android stuff instead of working on making the OS itself the draw. Things like having custom hubs or allowing apps to integrate into native hubs rather than just being the app launchers they are now.

That was the hope I had for Xbox live gaming but look how that turned out, its a complete joke compared to the other platforms.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Things like having custom hubs or allowing apps to integrate into native hubs rather than just being the app launchers they are now.

Absolutely. I think you are the only one picking up on that. It seems that the original design intentions behind the hubs have been forgotten. Despite being nothing like what they were intended to become, they haven't evolved one bit since WP7. The potential is still there, but at this point I doubt that potential will ever be realized. If they don't evolve further, then they're stuck at the stage of being glorified app folders. I consider the integration between IM apps or different contact sources just a different incarnation of the same design philosophy, which MS hasn't been improving upon either.

Sad...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes