01-27-2014 11:25 AM
27 12
tools
    Let's be honest; Microsoft has little concept of unification and consistensy of names and brands. Apple and Google do it a lot better:

iPod, iPhone, iPad, iMac, MacBook, iOS, OSX...
    Google Play, Google Nexus, Google Play Music, Google Glass, Google Chrome, Google Fiber...

And then there's Microsoft:

Microsoft Windows, Microsoft Surface, Bing, Microsoft Office, Nokia Lumia (soon to be rebranded, I know), XBOX, XBOX Live, XBOX Music.

So, can you guys come up with any way Microsoft could "unify" all their products into one, or maybe two names? I think they tried with "Windows" a while back, you know, with Windows Live Messenger, Windows Live Spaces, Windows Live Mail, Windows Mobile... but almost every one of those services got rebranded or died, so now we're stuck with a lot of seemingly random names for different products.

One approach that I can come up with is to keep it random. That way, the randomness becomes the consistensy.
    Another way, I guess, is the XBOX brand:

Microsoft Windows X (Windows)
    Microsoft XPHONE (Windows Phone)
    Microsoft XTAB (Surface)
    Microsoft XBOX
    Microsoft XSEARCH (Bing)
    Microsoft XBOX Music
    Microsoft XBOX Video
    et cetera.

The last one I can come up with is the "material" approach, like they did with "windows" and a "surface" and a "box". That way, only Bing should get a new name.

This isn't meant to seriously, Microsoft will never change all their product's names at once, but it's fun to think about!
    Laura Knotek and snowmutt like this.
    01-18-2014 05:14 AM
    You have a point there, but I don't think it's a real issue. No one I know has a problem identifying a Microsoft product.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    Laura Knotek and FinancialP like this.
    01-18-2014 05:47 AM
    You have a point there, but I don't think it's a real issue. No one I know has a problem identifying a Microsoft product.
    Nah, I guess not... But still, what if? I'm just really curious if some genious can come up with a brilliant idea that would tie al Microsoft products together.
    01-18-2014 06:42 AM
    I think the current way is best:

Entertainment = Xbox
    Operating Systems = Windows
    Email/Calendar/Contacts = Outlook.com
    Cloud Storage= SkyDrive
    Tablet = Surface
    Search and Maps = Bing

The branding and unification is according to the product or service provided!!
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-18-2014 06:50 AM
    Its intresting but if they put x beside every product then all tech websites and magazines will start saying OHH Microsoft is copying Apple and stuff like that..
    01-18-2014 07:59 AM
    I like it how it is, but I still understand your thoughts
    aximtreo likes this.
    01-18-2014 09:30 AM
    Wasn't the name "SkyDrive" gonna change because of some lawsuit by the way?
    01-18-2014 10:05 AM
    Maybe they should go with X-Windows. Both the name and the technology.
    01-18-2014 11:50 AM
    Maybe they should go with X-Windows. Both the name and the technology.
    There already is a graphics system with that name used in Linux. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X_Window_System
    01-18-2014 12:18 PM
    I wish they still used, and expanded, the LIVE branding. I think bought it was pretty great.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-18-2014 12:26 PM
    Wasn't the name "SkyDrive" gonna change because of some lawsuit by the way?

That was supposed to happen.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Tapatalk
    01-18-2014 12:33 PM
    My theory on this is that they need to extend the surface name to cover tablets and phones. Doing this may extend some of the goodness from windows phone to there surface tablets.
    01-18-2014 01:51 PM
    Let's be honest; Microsoft has little concept of unification and consistensy of names and brands. Apple and Google do it a lot better:

Google Play, Google Nexus, Google Play Music, Google Glass, Google Chrome, Google Fiber...

Microsoft Windows, Microsoft Surface, Bing, Microsoft Office, Nokia Lumia (soon to be rebranded, I know), XBOX, XBOX Live, XBOX Music.
    Take a look at what I've bolded...if you consider throwing "Google" in front of a particular product's name to be brand unification, then the obvious answer here is to throw Microsoft in front of everything. Windows, Surface, and Office already do this, so just go with "Microsoft Bing," "Microsoft Lumia (or whatever else they come up with as the brand)," Microsoft Xbox, etc. However, I personally don't think that brand unification is necessary.
    Cleavitt76 likes this.
    01-18-2014 02:04 PM
    Good point about Google's branding.

Also, if you look at the Apple branding it is similar to Microsoft's system where it kind of focuses on a few brands and applies them to related products. Mobile stuff gets an "i" in front of the name. Laptops/desktops have "Mac" somewhere in the name. Operating systems have "OS" in the name. It's similar to how Microsoft uses "Xbox", "Windows", "Outlook", and "Surface". Apple also has it's own exceptions like "Apple TV" instead of "iTV" or "MacTV".

Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised to see "Lumia phone" replaced with "Surface phone" in the future for the sake of brand consistency.
    snowmutt likes this.
    01-18-2014 03:21 PM
    Apple also has it's(sic) own exceptions like "Apple TV" instead of "iTV" or "MacTV".
    iTV is a problem for Apple as the name is already trademarked and in use by a couple of organisations, including a major British broadcaster.

In general I don't think brand unification should be a priority for Microsoft. In fact, I think they should consider using 'Windows' less - I would drop it from Windows Phone for a start.
    01-18-2014 04:16 PM

So, can you guys come up with any way Microsoft could "unify" all their products into one, or maybe two names? I think they tried with "Windows" a while back, you know, with Windows Live Messenger, Windows Live Spaces, Windows Live Mail, Windows Mobile... but almost every one of those services got rebranded or died, so now we're stuck with a lot of seemingly random names for different products.

One approach that I can come up with is to keep it random. That way, the randomness becomes the consistensy.
    Another way, I guess, is the XBOX brand:

Microsoft Windows X (Windows)
    Microsoft XPHONE (Windows Phone)
    Microsoft XTAB (Surface)
    Microsoft XBOX
    Microsoft XSEARCH (Bing)
    Microsoft XBOX Music
    Microsoft XBOX Video
    et cetera.

The last one I can come up with is the "material" approach, like they did with "windows" and a "surface" and a "box". That way, only Bing should get a new name.

This isn't meant to seriously, Microsoft will never change all their product's names at once, but it's fun to think about!
    No offense but it is simply your opinion that they have a problem on this front. Leaving Xbox and Zune out of the picture, their products have always been unified by Windows. I have never seen anyone confused by Microsoft explicit or implicit branding. As for Google, the fact they stick their name into everything they directly produce is hardly creative branding. In fact, it is boring and very dated. While Apple handling of ios products is very effective and consistent, their OSX products do not share that branding.
    despertador likes this.
    01-18-2014 04:22 PM
    Its intresting but if they put x beside every product then all tech websites and magazines will start saying OHH Microsoft is copying Apple and stuff like that..
    Yeah - that is very true. It just seems like their current gadgets don't have a "ring" to them, which is rather sad. I mean, I'd rather upload my files to the xDrive than to the SkyDrive. I'd rather use xNote than OneNote and I'd rather use my Xumia.

Kidding. But really, it seems like they always have great ideas that just don't take off... XP Tablet OS as an example.
    01-18-2014 06:21 PM
    iTV is a problem for Apple as the name is already trademarked and in use by a couple of organisations, including a major British broadcaster.
    Oddly enough that didn't stop them from using iPhone even though it was trademarked by Cisco at the time. Apple just released the iPhone, knowing that the name was trademarked, and dealt with the legal issues after the fact. I don't really have a point. I just think that was an interesting move on Apple's part.
    01-18-2014 07:13 PM
    I see most of Microsoft's products pretty well branded. Although they don't all have "Microsoft" in the name, that doesn't make it confusing. People are already all familiar with the names "Windows," "Xbox," and "Office." I don't think that putting an 'x' in front of all the brands will improve the situation. As said already, there doesn't seem to be a problem. How many people that are even moderately into computers confuse Bing and Google? Or, say Google Drive and SkyDrive?
    01-18-2014 09:30 PM
    i prefer the current way each product has unique name
    01-19-2014 05:28 AM
    There already is a graphics system with that name used in Linux. X Window System - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Is there really? One learns something every day!
    01-19-2014 03:58 PM
    I don't think this is necessary, but they need to make all their devices work together
    01-22-2014 05:00 PM
    I don't think this is necessary, but they need to make all their devices work together
    Even better would be to make their devices and servers work well with other devices and services too. Most people use devices and services from several different providers.
    01-23-2014 03:45 PM
    I like the approach with the "X" name, but even if they didn't and kept the same names they have now, it would be nice if they branded a particular logo to all their unified products, or a specific font to the names, for the common folk to know it's all part of the same unified brand.
    01-24-2014 08:20 AM
    I like the approach with the "X" name, but even if they didn't and kept the same names they have now, it would be nice if they branded a particular logo to all their unified products, or a specific font to the names, for the common folk to know it's all part of the same unified brand.
    The fonts are already unified, and they're transitioning the different products to have their own unique logos with similar design patterns (like the new Bing logo, which was inspired by the new Office logo, which was inspired by the new Windows logo).
    01-24-2014 08:53 AM
27 12