Are OEMs ruining Microsoft?

k0de

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
"An original equipment manufacturer, or OEM".

Just a thought. How do you take down a Sovereign power such as MSFT? And give power to a Farthing such as the other (2) dominating platforms?

What about the Trojan Horse approach. For example placing unstable CEO in OEM offices and giving them power to ruin a company future goals such as MSFT.

Is it time for MSFT to rid of all OEM and start manufacturing their own hardware?

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Is it time for MSFT to rid of all OEM and start manufacturing their own hardware?

...they already do that, i.e. Surface; and they will soon have a WP division as well making hardware once the Nokia transfer is complete.

p.s. this should probably be moved to the correct forum section.

k0de

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
...they already do that, i.e. Surface; and they will soon have a WP division as well making hardware once the Nokia transfer is complete.

p.s. this should probably be moved to the.

Agree. But what about the remaining OEM's partners? Should MSFT also get rid of them?

Premium1

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Agree. But what about the remaining OEM's partners? Should MSFT also get rid of them?

I don't think it would really hurt the OEM's, if anything I think this would actually help them. They would no longer be developing for WP/W8 so they could focus on other projects (OS's, etc) which could ultimately hurt MS if they went to android or another OS and began producing items for said OS.

k0de

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
I don't think it would really hurt the OEM's, if anything I think this would actually help them. They would no longer be developing for WP/W8 so they could focus on other projects (OS's, etc) which could ultimately hurt MS if they went to android or another OS and began producing items for said OS.

So. OEM made MSFT Sovereign? Or was it or is it the other way around?

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
The problem with ditching OEMs is that there would be no competition in the market which would allow Microsoft/Nokia to charge whatever they want, this would mean that Microsoft would eventually be reduced to a niche company like Apple.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
The problem with ditching OEMs is that there would be no competition in the market which would allow Microsoft/Nokia to charge whatever they want, this would mean that Microsoft would eventually be reduced to a niche company like Apple.

I think Steve Ballmer would assassinate a world leader to have Microsoft be worth as much as and be as well-loved as Apple. Lol "niche company" that's hilarious.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I think Steve Ballmer would assassinate a world leader to have Microsoft be worth as much as and be as well-loved as Apple. Lol "niche company" that's hilarious.

Well look at how much market share Apple have compared to Microsoft across all their products.

With WP holding such a small portion of the market ditching OEMs would be suicide. Contrary to what people think, not everyone wants a Nokia Windows Phone.

Ridemyscooter86

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Yes and no, there are benefits and disadvantages. When talking about PCs, the only reason why MS is as big as it is is because of OEMs, its a numbers game, you have apple, which is 1 manufacture, vs dell, hp, lenovo, asus, sony, toshiba, acer, etc. Thats why windows won the PC market and thats also why android, in terms of marketshare have the smartphone market. On the downside, its up to OEMS to supply drivers and then they put bloatware in to make money so the OEM model has its advantages and disadvantages...

k0de

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Well look at how much market share Apple have compared to Microsoft across all their products.

Hmmm. Lets see that is a easy one.

Apple: iPhone, iPad, gee nothing else.

MSFT: Visual Studio (oouch apple has to sell lots of iPhones and ipads just to keep up with that one alone.), Bing, Windows 8, Windows XP, Windows 7, Vista, Office, MSFT SQL Server 2012, xbox these are just a few.

And now Surface 2, Windows Phone 8

Apple is just a farthing compare to MSFT.

Last edited:

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm. Lets see that is a easy one.

Apple: iPhone, iPad, gee nothing else.

MSFT: Visual Studio (oouch apple has to sell lots of iPhones and ipads just to keep up with that one alone.), Bing, Windows 8, Windows XP, Windows 7, Vista, Office, MSFT SQL Server 2012, xbox these are just a few.

And now Surface 2, Windows Phone 8

Apple mostly goes after different consumers than Apple. Apple users like simplicity, while we like to get new features and have (fun) challenges.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
"An original equipment manufacturer, or OEM".

Just a thought. How do you take down a Sovereign power such as MSFT? And give power to a Farthing such as the other (2) dominating platforms?

What about the Trojan Horse approach. For example placing unstable CEO in OEM offices and giving them power to ruin a company future goals such as MSFT.

Are you claiming that someone is deliberately trying to bring down Microsoft by installing "unstable" CEO's at OEM's?
Who is doing this? Why are they doing it?

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Judging by the financial reports I'd say that OEMs have spent the last few years ruining themselves more than Microsoft.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Judging by the financial reports I'd say that OEMs have spent the last few years ruining themselves more than Microsoft.

To be fair to the OEM's, there is blame on both sides. OEM's have certainly shown a lack of imagination, but they operate in a very competitive market with very tight margins. These are not good conditions to take risks and try something new. And Microsoft didn't give them the tools to innovate. For example, their OEM's couldn't have introduced a mass market tablet ahead of the iPad, as Windows was simply not a suitable platform.

Ironically, the locked down nature of Windows RT and Windows Phone now make it even harder for OEM's to do something new. Compare that with Android which is now appearing, for example, on smart watches and televisions. Maybe these products will succeed or maybe they won't, but at least Google are in the game and at very little cost, as the manufacturers adapt Android to these new devices themselves. In contrast, Microsoft have chosen to limit their products just to smart phones and tablets and a few chipsets, screen resolutions, etc. Imagine that smart watches become a success - in a few years' time, Microsoft will launch "Windows Watch", but as with Windows Phone and Windows RT, it will be too far late.

This lack of flexibility is a major long term mistake.

Last edited:

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site

Just a farthing? I think they are slightly more than that. Let's have a look at market capitalisation (figures from Yahoo finance, shortly before the time of this post):
Apple: USD 459.24 billion
Microsoft: USD 298.91 billion
And just for fun...
Google: USD 375.08 billion

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
While OEMs were responsible for Microsoft's early success, they have been mostly responsible for much of worst of Windows for a long time. A brand new PC comes loaded down with so much crapware and trial versions of junk that a brand new copy of Windows is choking on a brand new PC. Or else they muck up Windows UI by creating these odd proprietary launchers and docks onscreen. They are the single reason that Microsoft had to launch the Signature program, to offer PCs that include Windows, unfettered by the tons of extraneous crap.

And now, with Microsoft in the hardware business with the Surface, you hear indignation from HP and Acer. They are the very reason that Microsoft decided they would have to go it alone to get their tablet built to their vision.

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
I think yes, they are destroying Microsoft. Till now, no manufacturer have an idea on how to implement the software correctly.

I have no idea how people are buying these new devices! Only 2 devices make sense to me, and they come from Microsoft and Lenovo. Other than that, its just weird implementations.

And yet users are not that bright either. I read a review of the surface rt,
"....it was very bad I couldn't install games on it, sent it back, got a kindle fire, best tablet..."

What games that you tried to install? Did you try installing them on the kindle fire? Did it work?

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

unstoppablekem obviously meant "Apple mostly goes after different consumers then Microsoft." All you had to do was read the rest of his post @#11 to catch on.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb