Nokia sold 8.2 million Lumias

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I agree. I mean, who waits over a year to announce the 920 successor? Nokia has horrible timing. They released a slightly bumped 920, which was the 925 (imo, the loss of half the storage made it a step backwards) like 6 months later, then a niche camera phone, then a phablet, all while waiting for the 920 successor. I think the 920 was one of the best selling phones of all time, so idk why they'd wait on that one, but they did.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Does Nokia really even care at this point?
Judging by these numbers, Nokia did the best possible deal by leaving the bleeding business to MS and continuing with its profitable NSN, HERE and Advanced Technologies business.

I was expecting neutral sales, but not actually declining sales in Holiday season compared to Q3. That is something.

I agree. I mean, who waits over a year to announce the 920 successor? Nokia has horrible timing. They released a slightly bumped 920, which was the 925 (imo, the loss of half the storage made it a step backwards) like 6 months later, then a niche camera phone, then a phablet, all while waiting for the 920 successor. I think the 920 was one of the best selling phones of all time, so idk why they'd wait on that one, but they did.

Lumia 920 one of the best selling phones of all time? C'mon. Something like N95 from 7 years ago sold 16 million phones while costing more, Note 2 sold 10 million in 2 months, not to even talk about GS and iPhone. Lumia 520 accounted by far most of the Windows Phone sales, Lumia 920 at most has sold around 3 million phones globally. LG G2 I believe sold somewhere around 3 and 4 million phones.

As for why Nokia did what it did. There was no SoC upgrade till GDR3. Lumia 1520 is still the only high end WP8 handset that doesn't use S4. Nokia was simply doing as many variations it could with S4. Others didn't bother because they were not tied to WP enough, and still haven't bothered.

Last edited:

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Darn. Wasn't expecting .6 drop. Nokia still has/had a lot to workout that hopefully Microsoft will fix. For starters, carrier availability is a mess in the U.S. Unless you're on AT&T then there's no guarantee that you'll get the next "flagship" Lumia (assuming you get a flagship Lumia at all). And second, Nokia/Microsoft needs to release a flagship phone that doesn't have "gimmick" attached to it.

The 1020 is awesome but much like the 808, only a handful of people want a 41 megapixel camera. The 1520 has great specs but 6 inches is a bit big. And I'm still undecided whether the extra row of tiles works on the 1520.

Nokia/Microsoft needs a plain Jane flagship. A phone with the latest specs, slim, 1080p screen, OIS/PureView and is still smaller than 5 inches. Nokia held onto that Snapdragon S4 probably longer than they should have. I have a 920 and it runs fine but I'm surprised we didn't get an upgraded 920 with the S800 and 1080p screen. Anyone looking for a WP this holiday could either choose from the aging 920, the aging 925 or the aging 928 if they wanted a "standard" flagship phone. Or, they had to choose the gigantic 1520 if the wanted a WP with the latest specs. And that's assuming they were on AT&T and could buy the 1520. There's no middle ground in Nokia's offerings.

Though there's also the possibility that Nokia didn't care. After all, why invest into new flagships when you're selling off that division? It's likely that Nokia just wanted to finish what was left in the production pipe (i.e. the 1520, 1320 and 2520) and couldn't care less about building a new flagship.

And finally, Microsoft needs to finish the 8.1 update ASAP. Not having any truly new features to show off this past holiday season killed some of the Windows Phone buzz because there wasn't anything "new" to talk about. Consumers love "new." New iOS7! New KitKat! Microsoft needed something that screamed new.

Hopefully once MS takes over they will have greater control over their software updates and carrier availability. Plus it will be good if Microsoft creates a more recognizable brand for their phones instead of a "seemingly random number that only makes sense if you constantly stay updated on the latest cell phone news."

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I also think it has to do with the fact that some people are skeptical of buying a new Nokia because they hear that the phone business is being sold. That and the only two noteworthy devices were niche is probably what the problem is. I think Microsoft can turn this all around, but we'll see April 2.

Also, wouldn't it be awesome if they announced that the acquisition was over during their earning report today? Nokia kind of hinted at it when they called their phone business "discontinued operation"

rodan01

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Nokia wasn't a good partner in the last 6 months. Microsoft needs to complete the deal asap or things can get worst.

Sent from my RM-885_lta_lta_339 using Tapatalk

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I also think it has to do with the fact that some people are skeptical of buying a new Nokia because they hear that the phone business is being sold. That and the only two noteworthy devices were niche is probably what the problem is. I think Microsoft can turn this all around, but we'll see April 2.

Also, wouldn't it be awesome if they announced that the acquisition was over during their earning report today? Nokia kind of hinted at it when they called their phone business "discontinued operation"

it takes more than 1 qtr to turn a decline around. things will get worse before they get better again.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Wonder if the writing staff had anything to do with it. That is separate from the forums and under their control. You could contact Daniel Rubino if you like.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
What? You don't like Daniel? He's so nice and his heart is so big. He would never be sarcastic with you in the slightest, like me. You'll never see me have that kind of sarcasm.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Hmm, not a happy quarter for Nokia's smart phone business, and by extension for Windows Phone. Their lineup is not exactly old, and is starting to see discounting (which should have been good for Christmas sales). WP showed some good growth in 2013, although from a very low base, but that seems to have stopped for now. We shouldn't read too much in to one quarter's figures, of course, but certainly these are disappointing numbers for Nokia and Microsoft, and suggest WP is still struggling.

BTW, I still think Nokia should stop making such stupid looking phones. I just saw a guy with a bright red Lumia - I'm sorry but it's just embarrassing, like a middle aged manager who gets an earring to try to look young again. Yes, I know other colours are supposed to be available, but they are not in my town.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
The problem is not so much that the phone business declined as a whole - that was expected. The problem I see is that the *smart phone* business declined. That's bad news for Nokia and for Microsoft.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium